wobbly putting stroke

Sgt_Slaughter

Here's my $0.02:

Work on improving your stroke through trial and error using the following two methods (the first one only works if you putt in an arc - as Stan Utley teaches - not straight back-straight through - as Pelz teaches):

1. Practice long (30 to 60 feet) uphill putts, right hand only, using a sand wedge, striking the ball on the equator with the leading edge. This will be impossible at first but eventually you'll be able to roll 60 footers to within 3 feet consistently using just the right hand and a sand wedge. Your stroke will then feel rock solid. This is from Gravity Golf guru David Lee.

2. Practice putting with a striped ball. You can make one yourself (draw a stripe around the equator), use a range ball or buy fancy ones from David Pelz. Set the stripe vertical to the ground and along the target line. Any off-center contact will cause the stripe to wobble as the ball rolls toward the target. The goal is to consistently strike putts so the stripe does not wobble at all. You can do this on the carpet all winter.

You will find out relatively quickly which stroke mechanics and mental keys work and which don't. Then, practice what works!

Jeff

Here's my $0.02:

Work on improving your stroke through trial and error using the following two methods (the first one only works if you putt in an arc - as Stan Utley teaches - not straight back-straight through - as Pelz teaches):

1. Practice long (30 to 60 feet) uphill putts, right hand only, using a sand wedge, striking the ball on the equator with the leading edge. This will be impossible at first but eventually you'll be able to roll 60 footers to within 3 feet consistently using just the right hand and a sand wedge. Your stroke will then feel rock solid. This is from Gravity Golf guru David Lee.

2. Practice putting with a striped ball. You can make one yourself (draw a stripe around the equator), use a range ball or buy fancy ones from David Pelz. Set the stripe vertical to the ground and along the target line. Any off-center contact will cause the stripe to wobble as the ball rolls toward the target. The goal is to consistently strike putts so the stripe does not wobble at all. You can do this on the carpet all winter.

You will find out relatively quickly which stroke mechanics and mental keys work and which don't. Then, practice what works!

Jeff

thanks. iw as thinking of trying the stripe ball thing.

[/color

It has been my contention that is caused buy an over active right hand in the back swing, here's a good drill to try , line up naturally, then open your stance about 10* to the left, when your ready to start your stroke lift your thumbs off the grip, this will ensure that you make a stroke with your shoulder, works really well after a few practic estrokes.

[/color

It has been my contention that is caused buy an over active right hand in the back swing, here's a good drill to try , line up naturally, then open your stance about 10* to the left, when your ready to start your stroke lift your thumbs off the grip, this will ensure that you make a stroke with your shoulder, works really well after a few practic estrokes.

i just wan to thank everyone who gave me all these drills to try. ive got a lot to try now to try and fix the stroke. thank and i will try that drill golf.

I added about 3 oz. to the grip area using Balance Certified weights.  The putting stroke felt more pendulum like and impact felt solid.  Rock the shoulders and keep the wrists firm.

where can i get "balance certified weights"?

I didn't realize until yesterday that episodes of Golf Academy Live from the Golf Channel can be accessed on their website if you pay a subscription fee (either monthly or annual).

One worth paying for and watching is Stan Utley's segment from October 2003. That show pretty much catipulted him to the top of the short-game guru heap and has made him all but impossible to see for lessons: last I heard he was only offering full day group lessons (three students) on a very limited basis for over $1,800 per person. Between this segment and his Golf Digest articles you can get a pretty good feel for his philosophy and technique.

Jeff

I didn't realize until yesterday that episodes of Golf Academy Live from the Golf Channel can be accessed on their website if you pay a subscription fee (either monthly or annual).

One worth paying for and watching is Stan Utley's segment from October 2003. That show pretty much catipulted him to the top of the short-game guru heap and has made him all but impossible to see for lessons: last I heard he was only offering full day group lessons (three students) on a very limited basis for over $1,800 per person. Between this segment and his Golf Digest articles you can get a pretty good feel for his philosophy and technique.

Jeff

id rather not have to pay a subscription right now. i thought about that awhile ago. but with all the knowledge here, y not ask.

Canadian_Mike  

Go to www.balance-certified.com to locate dealers in Canada.  

It will run about US $40-50/per club.

in response to that quote, wouldnt lead tape work well and cheaper?