Leather grips

lightrider

I used to use the Lamkin leather grips during the mid-90's. They were pretty easy to install, but time-consuming. It took me a couple of tries to get used to the overlap required for that puffy seam. Also, it took some practice to get the grips to a consistent length because the rubber underlisting could be stretched out an extra couple of inches if you weren't careful. This could affect the overall thickness of the grip from club to club. I also noticed that leather strips weren't exactly uniform in either length or thickness.

The main problem wasn't with their installation, but the care they required afterwards. After just a few rounds, especially in damp conditions, the grips always felt slimy. They needed to be treated with a special cleanser to return their tackiness. I always felt that I had to grip the club with a bit more pressure if I hadn't applied the solution to them. I came to realize that, although they looked pretty cool, they were more trouble than they were worth. There's a reason most everyone stopped playing with leather grips.

One more thing to consider: Leather grips weigh a heck of a lot more than rubber or composite grips. Be prepared for a drastic swingweight change, especially to a graphite-shafted driver. Remember, leather grips consist of the build-up tape, double-sided tape, rubber underlisting, double-sided tape over the underlisting, and, finally, the leather wrap. Plus, they are usually 1/2" to 1" longer than standard grips. H-E-A-V-Y!!!

I just got some slip-ons from The Gripmaster to try. They feel great and are very easy to install. They go on just like Winns. Another cool thing is you can tighten them and make them firmer or make them softer depending on your preference. These grips are not heavy either. If you visit their website they list out all the grip weights. I think the Round Shock Resistant like I purchased had a 45g. weight. That is actually a little lighter than my old Winns. If you are thinking about leather grips I would highly recommend them. I used to use Neumann when they were in business and I thought they were the best but I have to admit that I definitely prefer this slip-on method rather than wrapping them myself :) .

• 3 months later...

I agree. I would have nothing else on all my clubs, especially liked the Neumann's. Really enjoyed tinkering with the grips, but they required TLC!

The most delicate were the Nicklaus type with the paper underlisting...great feel of the club head though. The new slip ons sound intriguing and may be worth a try!

go to my other post under "Swing Doctor; under "Jim MacLean post"...

from this same friend I got to see a set of Jack Nicklaus' actual personal set of MacGregor irons from his heyday. he had "MacGregor" green Neumann grips wrapped on the clubs and they felt very nice. Next time I visit my friend I am going to take some pics of the Nicklaus/Hogan/Kite personal clubs and post them.