Need advice on Purchase of Tourstage Z101's

andre2you

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is a pretty good deal. I just custom ordered a set about 2 weeks ago and paid about this price. I looked around and that was about the best deal I found. I went to a couple local golf shops and the best price I found there was around $900 if that gives you any kind of idea of what kind of deal.

Hi All,

I have an oppurtunity to purchase a set of Tourstage Z101's brand new for 500.00 US and my Ping i3 blades.  Is this a good deal?  What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I paid over $900 for my Z's. I think if the Pings are a little beat up and the Z's have the shafts you like then it's a great deal.

The Z's are very easy to hit and I think you would be extremely happy with them. They look like blades from address and, as long as the shaft fits you, you will probably gain a little distance and workability as well.

I am finding the Z's on the net for 699.00 US so I'm getting a trade-in on the Pings of 200.00 US (They are in pretty good shape, I have had them for three years but I keep'em clean). Even though I won't be able to play with them (now that winter is here) I think I will pull the trigger on these pups. I really wanted the MR-23 CB's but I don't want to spend that type of money right now and those clubs probaly won't be available later. My other thoughts of clubs were the Minuzo MP-33 or the Titleist 690 cb's. I hope these clubs live up to the hype! My green dots (Ping) will become history shortly........

After this purchase I plan on replacing my Hogan Special wedges (50*, 56* 60*) with Scratch wedges.

Thanks

I don't think it's such a good deal. You're trading your PING irons and $500? You can buy new Z-101's on eBay for less than $700 easy. I think your i3 blades are worth way more than $200 unless they're in really, really bad shape.

It would be a good deal for the person you're trading with, IMO.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm trying to make this purchase with as little out of pocket as possible (I am cash strapped "Going thru a very messy Divorce"). Thinking about it further I will wait for an Ebay auction (I wish I had the money for your clubs) Oh well "You don't miss what you haven't had!).

Oh, I just sold my Pings for 300.00 to a friend but alas he can't pay me until the middle of December so that's when I'll be looking again.

Thanks All

I was wondering, I was about to feel bad that I couldn't swing a deal. That said, I saw on ebay that Z101's have been going for around 500.00 "on Ebay, so that would have been a bad deal for me. I PM'd but you answered that already.

Thanks

What makes the MR's better than the Z101's besides looks?

Wow! You guys paid THAT much for your Zs? I guess I did great then....

What make MR23s better...besides looks? Uh...some of us don't feel that way at all.

What makes the MR23s different. Well...I found the feel to be a little more lively, just a little. Both set up very similar, impreceptible difference between the two. Ball flight was similar, and to be honest I found the Z101s to be a little longer.

It was a close decision for me but I went with the Zs OVER the 23s, given that the both played exceptional the deciding factor FOR ME was appearance.

Wow! You guys paid THAT much for your Zs? I guess I did great then....

What make MR23s better...besides looks? Uh...some of us don't feel that way at all.

What makes the MR23s different. Well...I found the feel to be a little more lively, just a little. Both set up very similar, impreceptible difference between the two. Ball flight was similar, and to be honest I found the Z101s to be a little longer.  

It was a close decision for me but I went with the Zs OVER the 23s, given that the both played exceptional the deciding factor FOR ME was appearance.

I bought my Z's when they first came out and I had Rifles put in them and I also got a 2 iron. The reason I've kept them and not the MR-23 CB's is because I like their performance better. I like the MR Blades though too.

What makes the MR's better than the Z101's besides looks?

I am not the best person to answer that question' date=' as I am new to the MR-23's and haven't played my first round with them yet.

Here is what I have learned so far:

[b']1[/b]. Satin finish instead of polished chrome.

2. Copper layer under chrome to greatly enhance feel. This is supposed to be the best feeling iron head of all.

3. Slightly smaller clubhead, which I personally prefer.

4. Better quality control in manufacturing process.

5. Will hold their value much better because there were only 1500 sets made. No more will ever be made.

TourSpecGolfer knows much more than I do, however. I bought my set from him and last time I checked he had more listed on eBay. He is great to deal with.

Does anyone know the lofts and lie of standard Z101's? I searched trying to find it but couldn't find the info.....

Also could someone comapre the Z101's to the Ping I3's (green dot +2 upright, my current clubs) Since I took some lessons the Pings now have the toe off the ground (with my current setup) So now when I go from my Pings to my Hogan wedges I have to setup differently (hands below the sholders with the hogans, hands more in front of the sholders for the Pings). This next season I want to have the same setup for all my clubs not have to worry which club I'm hitting.

here are the specs on the z101s

TourStage Z101 Forged Irons Standard Specifications

Number 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 PW

Loft 17.5 20.0 23.0 27.0 31.0 35.0 39.0 43.0 47.0

Lie 60 60.5 61.5 62.0 63.0 63.5 64.0 64.5 65.0

Length 39.25 38.75 38.25 37.75 37.25 36.75 36.25 35.75 35.25

Offset(mm) 3.5 3.5 3.5 2.5 2.5 2.5 1.5 1.5 1.5

Swing Weight D3 D3 D3 D3 D3 D3 D3 D3 D3

here is the site link if you need more

info.http://www.scottyputters.net/cgi-bin/ccp5/cp-app.pl?usr=50X8799743&rnd=9290771&rrc=N&cip=66.57.4.34&pg=prod&ref=TourStage+Z101+Irons&cat=TourStage

Here is what I have learned so far:

1. Satin finish instead of polished chrome.

2. Copper layer under chrome to greatly enhance feel. This is supposed to be the best feeling iron head of all.

3. Slightly smaller clubhead, which I personally prefer.

4. Better quality control in manufacturing process.

5. Will hold their value much better because there were only 1500 sets made. No more will ever be made.

drgam - the Zs also have the copper underlay. Mine are satin finished (no performance difference here). Club head size is preference. Quality control... if the 23s are noticeable better than my Zs they must be made by God. 1500 sets... if you buy for resale, then I agree w/ you on this one.

Great photos Dwayne. They really tell the story. Look at the offset between the Z's and the others. The Z's have less. Size is the same as the MR-23's and the underlay - Same, Forging - Same, Finish - Chrome for the Z's although they used to offer the Satin. Forgiveness - Edge goes to Z's, Distance - I've found the Z's to be longer. Feel & Sound - I give a slight edge to the MR's on this.

Really, other than feel I couldn't find much difference between the two. The size difference isn't much. Here are some pics:

178619_MR23s.JPG

178620_Z101s.JPG

At address: Z101, MR23, and NB-32.

178621_TS-ADDRESS.JPG

MCsub,

I did not know that the Z-101 had the copper underlay. Like I said in my post, I'm not the best one to ask. If I'd have known that, I may have bought Z-101's myself. They are certainly easier to find.

Resale is important if you try the set and decide they're not for you. Could save you $$$.

Thanks for your post. I learn somethind new every day!

Greg

Who came up with the copper underlay bulls**t? I never heard that either one had it, and I dinged up my 23s on rocks and hardpan enough to know. Nice clubs, but this may be a fish story.

I heard it from a TourStage rep and also a store owner. He also said that all the TourStage clubs were forged by Endo. That includes the Z's. Perhaps Chris could get info.

I never heard that the Z101s had copper, only the MR23s. Supposedly this is what's giving it it's superior feel and sound. They feel really great, and they are different feeling than the Z101. But it's not that much of a difference. I attributed the difference to the shafts I was using in each. DGS300 in the MR23, feeling livey and crisp. Rifles in the Z101s felt smooth and soft.

Let's get to the bottom of this. We need confirmation.

Let me put this one to rest guys. The Z101s (or at least the brushed ones I have) absolutely have the copper underlay, because I can see it in various spots around the hosel and one other spot on the toe of one of the irons. I am not an authority on the Tourstage line, but my brushed Zs definitely have the copper underlay.