Need advice on Purchase of Tourstage Z101's

andre2you

e..."...using copper with regard to forged irons is 'highly' over-rated."

But but...bladeco says his irons feel much better due to the copper underlay. :)

How about the one w/ nickel and watt nickel before chrome which is IMO a more durable and feel as good as the copper underlay. 8O :wink: :roll:

Joe :lol:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But but...bladeco says his irons feel much better due to the copper underlay. :)

...the nice 'feel' is really generated from a build-up of material - not so much the fact that copper was used. you will get a higher build-up in a shorter amount of time by using a one strike copper, one strike nickel, then chrome vs. several strikes of nickel, then chrome...ie...nickel is softer that copper but is more time consuming to build-up...of course with regard to 'feel' i'm talking about the same heads - just finished differently. the carbon steel used and most importantly the design of the clubhead is most important...talk to t-bias about the fg-51's joe did for him. they have a build-up of nickel plate non-chromium...a very soft 'feel' i'd imagine - though pretty dingable...

...but g - trust your judgement...copper underlay sells like triax...;)

e

How about the one w/ nickel and watt nickel before chrome which is IMO a more durable and feel as good as the copper underlay. 8O :wink: :roll:

...since when did you get such fast fingers? you beat me to the punch...

e

;)

like these?

tr3-a-1.jpg

just awesome to look at IMO

like these?

tr3-a-1.jpg

just awesome to look at IMO

Mark Inoue is the man. :)

The emblem is his family emblem.

Joe:)

...since when did you get such fast fingers? you beat me to the punch...

e

;)

Practice, practice, practice. :lol:

Ok lot's of good discussion here and I have just one more question. I'm thinking of having the lofts adjusted (On my newly ordered Z101's) 1* stronger. The reason is I hit my Ping i3's (JZ stiff shafts) pretty high and hear that the Z's produce a high ball flight. I'm having rifle 6.0 shafts installed (Will they play stiffer?), will the rifles help keep the ball flight lower or should I have the lofts adjusted? Any suggestions? Your experiences?

Man I love this fourm!

Thanks

Ok lot's of good discussion here and I have just one more question.  I'm thinking of having the lofts adjusted (On my newly ordered Z101's) 1* stronger.  The reason is I hit my Ping i3's (JZ stiff shafts) pretty high and hear that the Z's produce a high ball flight.  I'm having rifle 6.0 shafts installed (Will they play stiffer?), will the rifles help keep the ball flight lower or should I have the lofts adjusted? Any suggestions? Your experiences?

Man I love this fourm!

Thanks

1) don't adjust the lofts of your new irons until you have determined trajectory, ball-flight, and distance gaps. matching lofts and lies of different types of sticks can and often is - counter productive.

2)depends. what is the swing weight(balance) of the i3's? eg...if the sw is low, the jz's may be a click or two stiffer. if d1-3 they would play close with regard to stiffness. the rifles will 'feel' a hell of a lot different - the bend properties are also not on par.

3)not really - just don't baby the bridgestones with iron covers

4)not enough time or space...

e

Andre, I play 6.5 Rifles in my Z101's and I had my lofts strengthened 1 degree throughout the entire set (2-PW) to help keep the trajectory down. It worked great, but I would strongly agree with the other forum members and test them at the range before you make any changes, good luck!

• 2 months later...

Here is a update on my Z's. I have played with them a few times this winter and they play fine, straight hitters and I can work the ball pretty easily left or right. I am just not hitting them consistantly in the sweet spot. The majority of my shots are about a 1/4 inch off center (toward the toe). I went to have them fit (feeling they were a bit to short for me) lie angle was perfect, length was ok but I could go longer. So I had the shafts lengthed +1 yesterday and just swinging the clubs feels more comfortable (I prefer a more upright stance). I did the impact tape test again and still I hit the ball at the same spot 1/4 inch off center. Now mind you the off center hits still fly straight but I'm penalized with distance (That I can live with) but when I hit it flush right on the screws I'm 15 to 20 yards longer. For instance with the Pings i3's my seven iron would go 150, the Z's 150 (off center) 170 (on the screws). So I guess I'm have to get use to the Z's to hit them consistantly on center but I'm finally set with my irons. Thanks to all.......

Oh, before i forget when I had my irons lengthened (at Golfsmith) all the sales guys came over when I was about to test the Z's out. They wanted to meet the guy who owned these irons and ask who makes them how and much they cost. It's amazing to me that most of these guys don't know much about golf equipment. Thanks to sites like this I'm more informed.

Andre, good news on the Z101's! I had mine built at the factory +1 inch shaft length, in addition to the loft strengthening. It took a couple of rounds to get use to them, but I'm sure you'll be flushing them prefectly in no time :!: :D :D