Anyone ever switch from interlock to overlap grip?

primo

My game is in shambles right now so I'm examining my posture and grip. I think I've been gripping the club too tightly and I started experimenting with an overlapping grip. I can't hold the club nearly as tightly and it almost makes me take a nice easy swing. This is just theory as I'm in my living room, but it feels really comfortable. I started with interlock cause that's what Jack used. My fingers aren't particularly short, and it seems the overlap might suite me. I'll have to check it out at the range tomorrow. Anyone else switched after years of using interlocking?

I started with an interlock then switched after just a couple of years. Don't even remember why I did. Switched back for a brief spell while rebuilding my swing a few years ago but only for a couple of months. I've been happy with the overlap since.

When I first started golf I used a overlapping grip.

But about 2 years later I changed to interlocking.

It looks like it works best for me, according to Tiger with this interlocking grip, which he uses, it is easier for your hands to work together, as a one piece block as he sometime says.

However , it is worth mentioning that it is easy to change from overlapping to interlocking, but I found, after having tried that it is much harder to change from interlocking to overlapping.

That might just be me though !

Good Luck !!!!!!!

My game is in shambles right now so I'm examining my posture and grip. I think I've been gripping the club too tightly and I started experimenting with an overlapping grip. I can't hold the club nearly as tightly and it almost makes me take a nice easy swing. This is just theory as I'm in my living room, but it feels really comfortable. I started with interlock cause that's what Jack used. My fingers aren't particularly short, and it seems the overlap might suite me. I'll have to check it out at the range tomorrow. Anyone else switched after years of using interlocking?

Aw man Primo, must be something in the air!!!

I am going through the same thing over here. Its funny how much I have seen parallel's in your game resencently (your scores are a little low than mine but on the curve its all the same)...

We both started taking long term lessons, had success right off the bat, now things are falling apart :cry:

I worked on my grip got it to a more convental style. I still rock the interlock. I thought about switching to an overlap but it just didn't feel right. The most important thing is that your hands feel natural on the club. If you don't trust your grip nothing will work.

I just changed back to interlock. I started playing with the interlock 2o years ago, played well with it. I stopped playing for a number of years and just got back into it about 4 years ago and changed to overlap (I don't know why, it just felt more comfortable at the time). I the past month I switched back to interlock for a few rounds and now that seems more comfortable (go figure). I do seem to have more control with the interlock grip (hands feel like one piece). I wear an XL glove.

Aw man Primo, must be something in the air!!!

I am going through the same thing over here. Its funny how much I have seen parallel's in your game resencently (your scores are a little low than mine but on the curve its all the same)...

We both started taking long term lessons, had success right off the bat, now things are falling apart :cry:

I worked on my grip got it to a more convental style. I still rock the interlock. I thought about switching to an overlap but it just didn't feel right. The most important thing is that your hands feel natural on the club. If you don't trust your grip nothing will work.

Just wanted to give an update on my condition. I went to the range committed to the overlap grip and it really worked. I'm not sure what it was but it somehow cured my swing! It drastically shortened my backswing, I can't grip to tightly on the club and my finish somehow is very high which I haven't been able to do as naturally as I can now. So far at the range it's incredible. The real test will be on the course. I think I was meant to play overlap because it's already feeling comfortable. I think I almost had TOO much control with interlock and I would try and do too much with the swing knowing my hands would compensate. With this grip, it seems to me that I can't grip too tightly. Maybe it's just cause it's new, we'll see. Hang in there Pete there is hope yet :lol:

Just wanted to give an update on my condition. I went to the range committed to the overlap grip and it really worked. I'm not sure what it was but it somehow cured my swing! It drastically shortened my backswing, I can't grip to tightly on the club and my finish somehow is very high which I haven't been able to do as naturally as I can now. So far at the range it's incredible. The real test will be on the course. I think I was meant to play overlap because it's already feeling comfortable. I think I almost had TOO much control with interlock and I would try and do too much with the swing knowing my hands would compensate. With this grip, it seems to me that I can't grip too tightly. Maybe it's just cause it's new, we'll see. Hang in there Pete there is hope yet :lol:

The timing on this post is uncanny. After many years using an interlocking grip I recently made the switch to an overlap. I have small fingers (small cadet) and was instructed to interlock to maintain control. I've tried changing a few times in the past, but on a shot to shot basis. I am now committed to the overlap.

I agree that it keeps me from "manipulating" my swing as I was way to handsy before. For the first time ever I've been just letting the release happen without trying to flip with my hands.

At least for me, another golf "truth" -nterlock with shorter fingers has gone by the way-side...

I learned w/a baseball grip, read a Jack Nicklaus book & tought myself the interlock, then about 3 years ago switched to the overlap.

I like this grip a lot. Relieves the pressure in the forearms so I don't grip too tight.

Same thing here. I started with a 10-finger grip and then went to the interlock as I felt my hands were fighting each other over control. The interlock gave me the feeling my hands were working at a pivotal point. Then one day I just tried the overlap and had good results with the driver so now I use it with all clubs.

:) I'm 35yrs of age and carry a index of 3.9. For the last 10 years I've been about 85 percent overlap or "Vardon Grip". I have gone back and forth about twice in the last 7 years, but usually go back to overlap after one season. My hands are a footjoy medium size and I would probably never go back to interlock.My left hand is fairly strong ala freddie couples, and my right is neutral to weak. Overlap is definitely good for me, although interlock works for the best 2 ever. Jack and Tiger.

Driver - TM 510 9.5

3 Wood- TM V Steel 15 degree

3-A Callaway X16 Proseries w/ Constant Weight Rifle Tour stiff

SW Callaway X14 Pro

Putter - Ping Answer

I ahve really been studying Ben Hogans Five Lessons. He teaches the overlap... I was swinging with it at the range a litte... I think it helps balance my hands, restrains the right hand from overpowering the left.

I am going to work more on the overlap and maybe switching... Ben Hogan himself started interlocking and then went to the overlap.

• 5 months later...

I found that the interlock grip was causing me to hold the club in my palms more than my fingers. Although akward at first switching to the overlap enabled me to grip the club in my fingers and helped me to gain a better control of my shots.