"Tour Van" or quick dry epoxy problems

hoover

:mad: Have any of you had this epoxy actually hold over a long period of time? I had an NV 65 put in my R7 about a week ago, and they used the quick-dry epoxy. Well, I didn't hit a ball for 6 days with it and after only 6 or 7 drives, I could hear clicking when I twisted the head. This is the third time I've had a problem with this - in three different clubs at two different shops. Its in the process of being re-done with the normal epoxy, but I just think its a bad product. Does the quick-dry nature prevent it from curing completely? The shop owner that installed the shaft said he's had "a bunch" come back with the same problem.

:mad: Have any of you had this epoxy actually hold over a long period of time?  I had an NV 65 put in my R7 about a week ago, and they used the quick-dry epoxy.  Well, I didn't hit a ball for 6 days with it and after only 6 or 7 drives, I could hear clicking when I twisted the head.  This is the third time I've had a problem with this - in three different clubs at two different shops.  Its in the process of being re-done with the normal epoxy, but I just think its a bad product.  Does the quick-dry nature prevent it from curing completely?  The shop owner that installed the shaft said he's had "a bunch" come back with the same problem.
Been there, done that and never comeback for almost 10 years now. ALways use a 24 hrs epoxy or a long full strenght cured epoxy.

Cheers,

Joe :cool:

I would have if he even gave me the option. I told him what I wanted done, and he called me an hour later and said it was done. If I would have known he was using it, I would have told him not to. I figured I'd give it a shot, and you all know the rest.... Thanks.

Hoov :cool:

On my putter, the shaft is the factory install. There is a small bit of epoxy that is on the clubhead. How can I get it off without damaging the clubhead's finish? I have the newer one with the grey finish (vs. pre-MacGregor black) if that makes a difference. I know that its a delicate material because there's a small chip on the toe despite the fact that I ALWAYS have the headcover on it when I'm not actually using it. Thanks.

Hoov

On my putter, the shaft is the factory install.  There is a small bit of epoxy that is on the clubhead.  How can I get it off without damaging the clubhead's finish?  I have the newer one with the grey finish (vs. pre-MacGregor black) if that makes a difference.  I know that its a delicate material because there's a small chip on the toe despite the fact that I ALWAYS have the headcover on it when I'm not actually using it.  Thanks.

Hoov

Heat it up w/ hair drier and try to peel it off w/ your finger nail or credit card.

Hope that works!

Joe :cool:

Thanks, will give that a try.

BTW - I'm new to the site and have seen a lot of references to getting clubs "k'wokd".  What in the world does that mean?  I assume its some sort of tuning, but I've never heard the term before.  Thanks.

It's when guys have had their clubs worked on by Joe Kwok. He is a master clubmaker that does great work and is highly recommended.

Also, I know Joe would never use Quickset unless it had to be. He would choose to use 24 hour.

Thanks, will give that a try.

BTW - I'm new to the site and have seen a lot of references to getting clubs "k'wokd".  What in the world does that mean?  I assume its some sort of tuning, but I've never heard the term before.  Thanks.

It's when guys have had their clubs worked on by Joe Kwok. He is a master clubmaker that does great work and is highly recommended.

Also, I know Joe would never use Quickset unless it had to be. He would choose to use 24 hour.

Thanks FAQ!! :smile1:

Joe Kwok :cool:

• 2 months later...

I use Golfsmith Tour Van epoxy every now and then in a pinch, and I've had very few problems. I must admit, the return rate is much higher for those club builders I know who use it exclusively, however, if you mix it properly, you should have no problems. The main problem I see with the epoxy is people hurry - it sets in 5 minutes, so you must work fast. If you don't spend a good 2 of those minutes mixing furiously, they will eventually fall apart. I'm lucky if I can get 3 clubs epoxied with a batch of Tour Van.