"Satinizing" Irons

psk114

I picked up a set of RAC TP Combos this summer from my TM rep. Great clubs but I hated the extremely shiny chrome, blinded me on a number of occasions. My home course being almost 100% links style the sun can get high and hot. I decided I had to do something about this before next season, so off to the hardware store i went. I have a spare 6 iron I use when I decide to practice on mats so I went to town on it without much care. I tried three different things before I got it right. So last sunday while working our proshop I decided to do the work, and this is what i found.

1. I read in this forum that scotch brite pads are the way to go. Well after much work and some serious elbow grease I had taken the sheen off the chrome but could barely tell I had done anything at address, so I moved on to.....

2. 320 grit sand paper. Seemed to scratch the chrome slightly more than the pads but the scratches it made seemed to be really deep, and it's been a couple days since I did this and there is a small spot of rust developing already. THIS IS NOT RECCOMENDED just a little too much pressure and your done.

3. Then about the time i decided not to try my actual set i noticed our grille room employee scouring the grill before we closed the doors of the shop. They use an open mesh pad that looks like wire screen with grit coating on it. They are called 3M grill pads 200 grit. WOW, they worked amazing! The holes in the mesh kept it from clogging up and the grit was perfect not too deep but it really produced a nice satin look. I did 2-W in 2 hours and i used a new pad for every club, and the results are nothing short of perfect!!!!! I have seen a hundred clubs with satin finish and these are as close as you can get for less than 10 bucks! I set them next to my tourspec mr 23 blades and the finish looks very similar.

Just thought I'd share my experience, it seems like a popular topic.

I picked up a set of RAC TP Combos this summer from my TM rep.  Great clubs but I hated the extremely shiny chrome, blinded me on a number of occasions.  My home course being almost 100% links style the sun can get high and hot.  I decided I had to do something about this before next season, so off to the hardware store i went.  I have a spare 6 iron I use when I decide to practice on mats so I went to town on it without much care.  I tried three different things before I got it right.  So last sunday while working our proshop I decided to do the work, and this is what i found.

1.  I read in this forum that scotch brite pads are the way to go.  Well after much work and some serious elbow grease I had taken the sheen off the chrome but could barely tell I had done anything at address, so I moved on to.....

2.  320 grit sand paper.  Seemed to scratch the chrome slightly more than the pads but the scratches it made seemed to be really deep, and it's been a couple days since I did this and there is a small spot of rust developing already.  THIS IS NOT RECCOMENDED just a little too much pressure and your done.

3.  Then about the time i decided not to try my actual set i noticed our grille room employee scouring the grill before we closed the doors of the shop.  They use an open mesh pad that looks like wire screen with grit coating on it.  They are called 3M grill pads 200 grit.  WOW, they worked amazing!  The holes in the mesh kept it from clogging up and the grit was perfect not too deep but it really produced a nice satin look.  I did 2-W in 2 hours and i used a new pad for every club, and the results are nothing short of perfect!!!!!  I have seen a hundred clubs with satin finish and these are as close as you can get for less than 10 bucks!   I set them next to my tourspec mr 23 blades and the finish looks very similar.  

Dude, while that all sounds good, why didn't you just get them refinished with a satin finish professionally? By sanding them like that they will have more of a tendency to rust and abrasion. Why spend $1,000 for a set of irons and then sandpaper them? That's only my $.02. :surprize:

What did I have to lose??? The chrome finish was going to go no matter what. Why just ship em' out and spend as much as I paid for them to have them refinished in satin, when I could try to do it this way, and if it fails then I could have them refinished? It cost nothing and took very little time, to find out. If they rust then I didnt lose anything. I honestly think if you saw the way the finish came out youd have a different opinion. The chrome plating is still there, it just dosent have such a mirrored shine anymore. It looks like the belly of a chrome wedge after a couple of bunker shots, and they dont rust till they have been used for years. I just thought I'd give some of the less financially equiped people out there some info on what worked for me. I wont post next time........geeeez!

I picked up a set of RAC TP Combos this summer from my TM rep.  Great clubs but I hated the extremely shiny chrome, blinded me on a number of occasions.  My home course being almost 100% links style the sun can get high and hot.  I decided I had to do something about this before next season, so off to the hardware store i went.  I have a spare 6 iron I use when I decide to practice on mats so I went to town on it without much care.  I tried three different things before I got it right.  So last sunday while working our proshop I decided to do the work, and this is what i found.

1.  I read in this forum that scotch brite pads are the way to go.  Well after much work and some serious elbow grease I had taken the sheen off the chrome but could barely tell I had done anything at address, so I moved on to.....

2.  320 grit sand paper.  Seemed to scratch the chrome slightly more than the pads but the scratches it made seemed to be really deep, and it's been a couple days since I did this and there is a small spot of rust developing already.  THIS IS NOT RECCOMENDED just a little too much pressure and your done.

3.  Then about the time i decided not to try my actual set i noticed our grille room employee scouring the grill before we closed the doors of the shop.  They use an open mesh pad that looks like wire screen with grit coating on it.  They are called 3M grill pads 200 grit.  WOW, they worked amazing!  The holes in the mesh kept it from clogging up and the grit was perfect not too deep but it really produced a nice satin look.  I did 2-W in 2 hours and i used a new pad for every club, and the results are nothing short of perfect!!!!!  I have seen a hundred clubs with satin finish and these are as close as you can get for less than 10 bucks!   I set them next to my tourspec mr 23 blades and the finish looks very similar.  

Dude, while that all sounds good, why didn't you just get them refinished with a satin finish professionally? By sanding them like that they will have more of a tendency to rust and abrasion. Why spend $1,000 for a set of irons and then sandpaper them? That's only my $.02. :surprize:

where can they be done professionally? and for how much

What did I have to lose???  The chrome finish was going to go no matter what.  Why just ship em' out and spend as much as I paid for them to have them refinished in satin, when I could try to do it this way, and if it fails then I could have them refinished?  It cost nothing and took very little time, to find out.  If they rust then I didnt lose anything.  I honestly think if you saw the way the finish came out youd have a different opinion.  The chrome plating is still there, it just dosent have such a mirrored shine anymore.  It looks like the belly of a chrome wedge after a couple of bunker shots, and they dont rust till they have been used for years.  I just thought I'd give some of the less financially equiped people out there some info on what worked for me.  I wont post next time........geeeez!

Do you have a problem with other members having their opinions?

We understand you are just sharing your experience and thank you for it, but we are only simply stating our opinions, if they dont match yours accept it, its what forums are all about.

where can they  be done professionally? and for how much

Google it http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=refin...G=Google+Search

But, It's usually about $20 apiece if you remove the shafts first. That's for forged Irons. ------------------

Old Chrome is stripped off

- Entire head is polished to remove nicks, scratches

and gouges.

- Head is rechromed using a two-part nickel/chrome

process.

- All stampings are paint filled with original colors.

- Available in bright mirror or satin finish.

- Price: Unshafted irons: $16.95 each.

Shafted irons: $21.50 each.

• 3 weeks later...