Best Instruction Books???

an909

I posted in July that I had reread Manuel de la Torre's "Understanding the Golf Swing" and that I found it helpful. By the beginning of September, I had sort of forgotten his principles and was focusing on other approaches, including the very intriguing "Tour Tempo".

By the end of September, my game was a shambles and I had some important matches approaching. Two weeks ago, after a Thursday practice round of left and right drives, topped fairway woods and fat irons, I picked up de la Torre's book again, because it very precisely diagnoses these problems and offers concise cures.

Well, this book really works. It helped me mechanically immediately the next day and that Sunday I won my match easily. Last week, I continued to study the book and found that his advice on the mental approach to the game, putting and bunker play was also very helpful. After this past weekend, I'm a disciple!

This past Saturday I won my handicap flight of the club championship very easily: I was 6 up after nine holes. On Sunday, an eight hole stretch of even par golf (including back-to-back birdies; my index in 10.9) helped put my partner and me 5 up after ten holes in the final of a season long team event; we won easily.

I should mention that critical to these good showings was also the chipping and putting skills I learned from Stan Utley last March. I've never putted or chipped better. It's too bad, though, that Stan doesn't have a book out that I can turn to when I need help!

In any case, if you are struggling with your game, particularly if you think you have decent mechanics but can't "tie it together", give de la Torre's book a try. Be aware that it is a total method, so picking out bits and pieces may not be that effective. But the system is straightforward and simple and really not that hard to adopt (in fact, my team event partner said my swing looks the same; the ball is just flying a lot better).

Jeff

I got this book and DVD for Christmas and I agree with you 100%. This is idiot proof and while I have only hit balls once since I got them, my swing was missing the usual glitches and flaws that are present after a 2 month lay off. The thing I like best is that his premise is if you swing the club everything else falls into place naturally. Brilliant...just Brilliant..I am a convert.

The best books for me:

Butch Harmon's Playing Lessons

Rotella's Golf is not a Game of Perfect and The Golfer's Mind

Pelz Putt Like the Pros and Short Game Bible

Harold Swash's Championship Putting DVD (ok, so it's not a book-it's brilliant!)

8 Traits of Champion Golfers

Going Low

Currently reading:

Zen Golf

Golf: How Good Do You Want to Be?

Extraordinary Golf

Pressure Golf

shoe295 wrote:

I got this book and DVD for Christmas and I agree with you 100%. This is idiot proof and while I have only hit balls once since I got them, my swing was missing the usual glitches and flaws that are present after a 2 month lay off. The thing I like best is that his premise is if you swing the club everything else falls into place naturally. Brilliant...just Brilliant..I am a convert.

I didn't know there was a DVD; I'll order it once I find it.

I read the forward by Carol Mann, who now teaches in Houston, and was so motivated by it I called her and have arranged to see her for a few days in March as my golf vacation. She has already passed on some very interesting advice that goes beyond de la Torre's book and I'm very excited about what I can learn from her.

BTW, she asked me why I wasn't trying to see de la Torre and, after some hemming and hawing, confesed that I'd rather learn from a champion than someone who has only taught. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff

Double AA,

You should not have aluminum bats. I do not know if you are playing softball or not. Come on man. Go out and get fitted for some Louisville sluggers...wood dude. Give us some Louisville reviews!!

Tiger didn't write his book, it was written for him. Come on guys, go read some Bobby Jones, Hogan, Venturi, Nicklaus, Watson, Miller.

Another great book? 'Such a little Secret' by John Wilson Barrett, one of the best little, quick reads ever.

I didn't know there was a DVD; I'll order it once I find it.

I read the forward by Carol Mann, who now teaches in Houston, and was so motivated by it I called her and have arranged to see her for a few days in March as my golf vacation. She has already passed on some very interesting advice that goes beyond de la Torre's book and I'm very excited about what I can learn from her.

BTW, she asked me why I wasn't trying to see de la Torre and, after some hemming and hawing, confesed that I'd rather learn from a champion than someone who has only taught. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jeff

I found it on amazon.com...I'd be very interested in what you learn from Ms. Mann

shoe295 wrote:

I found it on amazon.com...I'd be very interested in what you learn from Ms. Mann

The DVD was shipped today from Amazon.

A couple things she has told me already:

1. Ditch the weight on a string deal: "it is not golf"; practice swinging a club with light pressure in hands and fingers and feel the clubface orientation (closed, square, open) and the shaft angle throughout the swing.

2. Bend over from the waist more than de la Torre advises: this promotes a more rounded swing, which promotes a releasing clubhead, which promotes a swinging club.

3. Most good players swing the club with the fingertips; this applies to putting as well as the full swing.

4. She is a disciple of Ernest Jones as well as de la Torre; buy and read "Swing the Clubhead", available in paperback on Amazon.

More to come in March...

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to say the Ernest Jones book "Swing the clubhead" which was first published in 1952 is a timeless instruction book and also a collectors item.

Ernest Jones principles of the swinging motion simply many thing that are over analyzed today and sometimes obsolete.

I was going to mention that, but since you beat me to it let me just second that. It's simplistic and timeless. Plus the story of Mr. Jones is one to be admired.

Other books of note:

Harmon's Playing Lessons

Harmon's Four Cornerstones of Winning Golf

Pelz Short Game and Putting Bibles

Pennick's Lil Red Book

Tour Temp0 - can't think of the author

Rick Smith - Find Your Perfect Swing

Jim McLean - The Eight Step Swing

Jim McLean - The X Factor

Hmmm anyone getting the idea I read way to much .... lol!

i have to say the little red book by harvey penick. (i have an autographed copy) my mother used to work for SPorts illustrated. knows lots of people.

this is a story that she told me about the publishers/harvey. when they told him it would be 100k, he said "oh no. i dont have that much money!"

then they told him they would pay him 100k!

I'm tellin' ya, get ready to throw them all away: Ballard made a huge contribution (close to 30 years ago), but he also screwed up a lot of people. Save your money until April for "The Plane Truth" by Jim Hardy. Just ask Peter Jacobson or Paul Azinger!

Jeff

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've read Ballard's book, but it can confuse somewhat. His 'fire the right side' should probably be better understood as an effect and not a cause. Still, there are good pieces of information in How to Perfect Your Golf Swing. Ballard was probably the first to advocate a large muscle based swing.

I also like George Knudson's Natural Golf, though it's not the 'Natural Golf' of the Moe Norman school. Knudson advocates a wide-ish stance, basically with the left foot just outside the shoulder, and focuses on weight transfer. The wide stance makes for both an easier weight shift and gets the hips out of the way. The book can be repetitive at times, but golf is about repetition after all. Another cool thing is that the book incorporates 'flip book technology' of a George Knudson swing.

I've also read a few Byron Nelson books. He was after all the pioneer of the modern swing.

Nas anyone checked out sybervision by Al Geiberger?