Scotty Cameron and TP Mills...who else

plus1

Sounds like your on the search for the Ultimate set, it could be hard to beat come contest time.

Hmmm, Ultimate putters...

There are a small hand full of people ( not companies ) that have the magic touch IMO. S.C, G.T, RJB, D.W, T.P, and K.B to name a few :-D

It cant be the retail stuff, It must be made by the particular persons hands and when working at such a high level of craftsmanship they usually only do the pro's putter's. Take the best materials and design and put the best hands on it and you will get :love:

IMO true protos are not a good idea, the true essence of a prototype to the manufacturer is a test run version. I personally dislike when a putter maker makes unnecessary proto's for $$$ it takes all the real validity away from the authentic ones. I'm pretty sure every company has done it.

I already know you like Anser putters but do you know what shape exactly you prefer?

TourZero_06.jpg

TourOne_06b.jpg

TourThree_06b.jpg

Do you know what type of face milling you like? Milling marks will ultimately affect the vibration and feedback you get from your putter.

Do you like GSS, SS303 or 304, SM490A, or Forged Carbon Steel?

Finish?, Sight aids, shaft, grip, loft, lie, and head weight?

Here is what I would choose based off what I know:

- Putter made hand made by George Takei

- Anser shape like Pic #1

- Made of SM490A steel

- Dirty Silver finish

- Crazy Milling marks

- 345g

- NS Pro 130g Shaft

- 4.5* of loft

- single sight line

DAMM you got me sussed already! i will have the ultimate set! lol

class response chris. i take it this guy George Takei makes gaue putters?

and is it actually possible to have him totally customize a putter for me.

id love.............

Newport 2 shape head

Single sightline

340 - 350g heead

33 inch

4.5* loft

mad milling marks just like my circle t

dirty silver finish sounds schweet

not sure what maerial finished in! ive only ever tried ss303....

ive heeard a lot about GSS....what is the SM490A and how do they all diffee?

ok these are two master craftsmen as far as putters go......i have used both their top end products ie circle t etc....but really who else is there in the same league and how can one get their hands on them?

Definitely take a look at those Gauge Putters. I think they beat the Scotty's and the Betty's hands down. I'm trying to decide which one I want myself.

serious FAQ. its hard to imagine but i guess i never know till i order one :laugh: ! i know the exact shape etc i like (just as above) but will prob im not sure which model that would be in the gaue rande!

what sort of :money: are we talkin for a custom George Takei?

David's dad, TP is the father of SC's "Studio Design" putters. The studio putters (not the studio stainless putters) are all original TP Mills designs.

You will not find any better craftsmanship from a puttermaker today, than from David Mills. You design it, even if you drew it on a bar napkin, David can and WILL make it for you down to the exact specs you wanted, not what someone felt like you ought to have. The best part of the whole deal with David, is that you actually buy through him and not some middle man that marks it up a couple of thousand $$$ for himself.

David Mills is the best there is right now in the US. I can't speak of Gauge putters, because I have never had one. I have owned many SC putters ( not retail) and David's work is still the best.

jay

If you are looking for a new putter why don't you just try lots of them (any model or brand) and see which one you like.

I started off with a really old Ping pal 2 last year then a really old ping bronze coloured anser but last October realised that the Scotty Cameron studio design 5 is the best for me.

My 2 cents: Any model will do as long as it works.

true....but the thing is i have tried everything and i know what suits me.....newport two shape! im just looking to buy a putter that feels different class! ie my circle t scotty feels schweet....the question i was basically asking is can it can any better than this?

some say george takei others say david mills....

down to the cold hard cash talk.....what are we talking for a custom putter from d mills? and from george takei? :cool:

Its almost impossible to track a new Tour Gauge Japan putter until a pro requests a new design and I am lucky enough to secure the backup copy. Usually only 1-3 are made of each model, the player gets one and the manager usually snags the backup for later. I sold 2 in 2004, I would like to buy them back if the buyers read this thread.

Here are the two I want back:

standard?pictid={BA1EE4B0-3858-4BB5-B179-658C9CABE02B}&exp=f&moddt=38381.9145845023

standard?pictid={B0E2E8D2-6030-414D-B627-D30E7905ECED}&exp=f&moddt=38427.7911475231

My take on T.P mills putters,

The feel is outstanding, very soft due to the material, it has a more rounded look so your gonna have to choose what you like best based on your preferences.

The average golfer will like a forged putter over Stainless steel due to its softer feel.

Material, design and overall polish of the finished product should and could be better.

They are using 1025? Forged Carbon Steel, For High End Tour quality putters its usually SS303, SS304, or GSS.

I am not sure how much R&D is involved, I have seen some custom T.P putters that are not totally symmetrical and balanced. I know they have their own science about counter balance, It just all seems a little too eye balled for me.

Listen to your eye...lol if thats possible :-D