women allowed to play in 2006 British Open

ok i read on golfdigest that the R&A r allowing women to enter the british open in 2006 if they qualify. IMO, they can let them play but do they think allowing it to happen its going to help. the courses r harder and longer in major championships. what is the length of this years 7300 yards? plus the rough and the greens. their setting the woman up for failure imo. its like they want to see the women do bad.

ok i read on golfdigest that the R&A r allowing women to enter the british open in 2006 if they qualify. IMO, they can let them play but do they think allowing it to happen its going to help. the courses r harder and longer in major championships. what is the length of this years 7300 yards? plus the rough and the greens. their setting the woman up for failure imo. its like they want to see the women do bad.

My view is, why not. It is an "open" championshion if they are good enough and have earnt their places let them play!

My view is, why not. It is an "open" championshion if they are good enough and have earnt their places let them play!

yea true it is an open championship. but the qualifying courses arent as tough as the real championship course. on the other hand i don agree with drew and tarheel that it may be a media stunt.

yea true it is an open championship. but the qualifying courses arent as tough as the real championship course. on the other hand i don agree with drew and tarheel that it may be a media stunt.

True that the qualifying courses are not as tough but surely it is the same for the struggling tour player, club pro or even amature golfer, would you suggest that it is wrong for these guys to attempt to qualify on the grounds that the championship course is tougher. I will stick to my guns and say that if you have earnt you place by qualifying you deserve to be there. I am not saying that the women should be guaranted a place because of their sex, but let them compete on a level pegging.

i dont see any problems with women playing as long as they finish the washing up first!!!

that was a joke buy the way.

rich what you shot last friday?

I had a shocker, i will tell you when i see you lets just say it was well over 80, the dangers of playing golf with a stinking hangover!!!!

True that the qualifying courses are not as tough but surely it is the same for the struggling tour player, club pro or even amature golfer, would you suggest that it is wrong for these guys to attempt to qualify on the grounds that the championship course is tougher. I will stick to my guns and say that if you have earnt you place by qualifying you deserve to be there. I am not saying that the women should be guaranted a place because of their sex, but let them compete on a level pegging.

i agree on the qualifying if they earn their win. but they cant just hand them a grant in the tourney just bc they r a woman. if they show what it takes to get their, then so be it. but if they allow woman then just make up rules and hand a woman free entry id disagree.

• 1 month later...
as long as its not just michelle wie getting some sponsor's exemption so she can miss the cut.

if nething annika should be allowed to play. she should get it over michelle if they were to give one out.

I'm split on this womens thing (i'm also against 15 year olds trying to make the cut on a PGA tour event without every having won a LPGA tour event. Also, she would take away a cut position for the guys busting their butts out there trying to support a family while realizing a dream they've worked many years for). I say let them try though, but like Mike said, they're just being set up for failure.

• 6 months later...

Plain and simple, enough of the exemptions, stop handing out spots that are NOT EARNED, I understand that it would be a feat of extraordinair for a women to make a cut in a mens event but, enough with the "GIMMIES", aren't these spots supposed to be earned, I am sure any male golfer is subject to this standard.

Michelle is great for the game but not the PGA game, it has turned her into golf's greatest assumption which reflects poorly on the maturation process that the PGA and LPGA measure, (IMO) she has not done a good enough job of qualifying for the LPGA, it is painting the picture for me that the title "Phenom" carries more weight than that of a accomplished/proven tour winner. I do agree with the comments previously, let the #1 womens player take as many qualifiying attempts at mens event as she wants, that honor should be the only one to come with benfits, phenoms, and assumptions of how good they "COULD" be are dictating who gets these exemptions. I do not think it is fair for the LPGA at all, this sort of favortism leads to annamosity which leads to jealousy that can destroy ones charisma in obtaining a historical career.

I wish all women golfers the best of luck in any challenge they strive to meet, I would feel better if these spots were earned, not given without merit.

Quote from Kraig Kann about Michelle Wie @ The Golf Channel

"I, for one, would like to see her aim to win tournaments and not make cuts. I understand why she’s taking her opportunities with the men, but I just wish she’d start winning."

Entire Article

What Now for Wie?