scotty cameron vs. ping putters

golfernut78

• 7 months later...

Per Golf Digest:

Is my Newport putter a takeoff on the Ping Anser? Of course it is. Is the American Classic similar to the Bulls Eye? Certainly. But is it wrong to take off on their original designs and try to make them better? Absolutely not. Schwinn didn't invent the bicycle, but I dare you to call the Grey Ghost model a knockoff. My approach to putter design is the same.

Scotty Cameron

• 2 weeks later...
Per Golf Digest:

Is my Newport putter a takeoff on the Ping Anser? Of course it is. Is the American Classic similar to the Bulls Eye? Certainly. But is it wrong to take off on their original designs and try to make them better? Absolutely not. Schwinn didn't invent the bicycle, but I dare you to call the Grey Ghost model a knockoff. My approach to putter design is the same.

Scotty Cameron

very true. most putters today are a variation of one or another.Golden goose-bulls eye-American classic.

By the way you have 15 clubs in you bag!

In the industry Cameron is known as "triple C" carbon copy cameron. A friend of mine who has designed putters with Kevin Burns actually has had a putter design stolen by CCC. One day after a terrible putting round with a anser style putter, my friend slams his putter against the cement cart path warping the loft on the face to about -38 degrees. After a bit of tweeking he gets the putter loft close to 5 degrees (and lots of sanding the leading edge smooth) the putter is close to normal except the neck has a forward slant but it looks ok. After a couple successfull putting rounds my friend takes the putter to "KB" and they decide to make a couple of prototypes. some prototypes got on tour, some prototypes were tried by cameron and later that month CCC makes thetour_slantneck_97_lg.jpg

I hear good thing about Scotty's. But putter is a putter. If you can sink putts with your 3 iron, hey why not right? I think heel to toe weight balance, head weight, along with the grip and shaft length are the most important thing to look into in a putter. Anything else is probably for that nice looking cover!

I hear good thing about Scotty's. But putter is a putter. If you can sink putts with your 3 iron, hey why not right? I think heel to toe weight balance, head weight, along with the grip and shaft length are the most important thing to look into in a putter. Anything else is probably for that nice looking cover!

Specs can help narrow the field if you're buying sight unseen, but there's no substitute for rolling a few when you're looking to buy. There are rationals for each design element from hozel configuration to sound but if something feels, works and looks right you've found your putter, whether its sitting in a bin or locked in a display case.

As far as 'derivative design' goes, there's a world of difference between Caneron's American Classic and the Bulseye, the Nomad WRX 03 Prototype and the 8802, Bryon's S4 Welchman and the Anser and even the Gauge Eldik-M and the Futura.

I don't think 'a putter's a putter' just because they all borrow design cues from each other; the differenvces lie in how a unique combination of elements lend's itself to a golfers particular putting style.

I like to think of putters like cars; they all four wheels and take you from point a to b. But they're different types sports cars, suvs, trucks, sedans, etc. Likewise with putters mallet, blades, neo mallet, ansers, etc.; they all help you put the ball in the hole. I tend to hold aesthetics in high regard as well as perceived quality. I like Scopy Camerons and Gauge Putters. I would love to find a Ping that worked for me as I love the "Ping" sound, but have yet to find one that suits my eye and feel. In the end you just test drive a few and usually one sticks out and that's the keeper.