Nippon Shafts 1150 Vs 1050

HitEm

I'm currently trying to decide between these two shafts in a set or irons. I'd appreciate board members comments and experience comparing these two shafts. I currently have the stiff 1050's but also play 5.5 Rifles and have a 103 MPH driver swing. I find the 1050's very smooth and comparable to the 5.5's except for a softer flex. My intent was to hard step new 1050's to obtain a closer 5.5 frequency. I've heard that the hard stepped stiff 1050's freq. in the 5.6 - 5.7 range and the stiff 1150's in the 6.0 - 6.2 range. Thoughts?

HitEm,

I have freq'd out my set of standard stiff 1150 shafts at standard length and they are hitting numbers similar to DG S-300, which is about 6.2 or 6.3 (using a Digi Flex). These shafts are listed as mid bend, but their tip is much stiffer than the 1050. If you are trying to achieve something similar to the 5.5's, then you should hard step the 1050. The 1150 is a different animal altogether. It produces more of a boring trajectory, with a nice feel, however not near as soft as the 1050.

The 1150 is a great shaft for those wanting something with a great feel and slightly ligher weight, but will produce results similar to DG.

I was afraid that the stock stiff 1150 might be too stiff for my liking. My alternative thought is to get regular 1150's and hard step or again take stiff 1050's and hard step.

I have played both. 1050 stiff just hit too high for me but the 1150 stiff are perfect. If you like the feel and your ball flight is fine, stick with the 1050s and hard step. If you want to lower your ball flight and want a more "solid" (yet still soft) feeling shaft, go with the soft-stepped 1150s. Although mine are/were in different heads, I actually hit a club longer with the 1150s than with the 1050s. Ordering a new set of Srixon i505s w/ 1150s cuz i absoutely love the shaft. Just sold my i404s and have been playing my Gold's Factory blades with the 1050s and i just hit it way too high.

I was afraid that the stock stiff 1150 might be too stiff for my liking. My alternative thought is to get regular 1150's and hard step or again take stiff 1050's and hard step.

I have played both. 1050 stiff just hit too high for me but the 1150 stiff are perfect. If you like the feel and your ball flight is fine, stick with the 1050s and hard step. If you want to lower your ball flight and want a more "solid" (yet still soft) feeling shaft, go with the soft-stepped 1150s. Although mine are/were in different heads, I actually hit a club longer with the 1150s than with the 1050s. Ordering a new set of Srixon i505s w/ 1150s cuz i absoutely love the shaft. Just sold my i404s and have been playing my Gold's Factory blades with the 1050s and i just hit it way too high.

Ditto, The NS 1150 is the best steel shaft I have hit to date. Before that I was a PX6.0 & soft step X-100 kinda guy, the 1150 will top out at a certain trajectory and the distance gain was on par with the PX shaft. I don't see me using another shaft for long while.

My best words to describe this shaft would be a project X that gets up in the air faster, higher, yet will not balloon on you. it almost feels as if my Irons are more forgiving now :confused:

• 1 month later...

I couldn't agree more, I just put nippon 1150's x-flex in a set of mp-32's, and they are the flat out best steel shaft I have hit to date. I have played x100's for the past 8 years, and thought I would never change. I've tried flighted rifles, standard rifles, project x's, tour concepts, and just didn't get the trajectory and feel I got from the x100's. Well to all x100 users try a set of 1150's x-flex hardstepped one time. You will not regret it. The flight is perfect, maybe a hair higher than the dynamic golds, but never any ballooning. Actually these shaft have given me an extra 5 yards on average per iron, but where these really shine is the feel category. The mizunos paired with the nippons is just perfect. I never thought I would get this excited over a set of steel shafts, but these are the real deal.

I couldn't agree more, I just put nippon 1150's in a set of mp-32's, and they are the flat out best steel shaft I have hit to date. I have played x100's for the past 8 years, and thought I would never change. I've tried flighted rifles, standard rifles, project x's, tour concepts, and just didn't get the trajectory and feel I got from the x100's. Well to all x100 users try a set of 1150's hardstepped one time. You will not regret it. The flight is perfect, maybe a hair higher than the dynamic golds, but never any ballooning. Actually these shaft have given me an extra 5 yards on average per iron, but where these really shine is the feel category. The mizunos paired with the nippons is just perfect. I never thought I would get this excited over a set of steel shafts, but these are the real deal.

Have now had 2 rounds with my MP60s w/ 1150 stiff any my opinion of the shaft has not changed. I'll review the MP60s after a few more rounds. What I can say for now is that I've been struggling for consistency with my game of late, especially with the driver, but birdied 2 of the 4 par 3s on friday (another one was literally a quarter roll short) - has to tell me something about my iron play... :cool:

I was afraid that the stock stiff 1150 might be too stiff for my liking.  My alternative thought is to get regular 1150's and hard step or again take stiff 1050's and hard step.

they sound sweet...i really wanna try the 1150s....im currently playin 5.5 project x rifles chris which im liking better than the 750s i had in before hand....what flex would u suggest i try in the 1150s?

Ditto, The NS 1150 is the best steel shaft I have hit to date. Before that I was a PX6.0 & soft step X-100 kinda guy, the 1150 will top out at a certain trajectory and the distance gain was on par with the PX shaft. I don't see me using another shaft for long while.

My best words to describe this shaft would be a project X that gets up in the air faster, higher, yet will not balloon on you. it almost feels as if my Irons are more forgiving now :confused:

i changed from my nippon 750s to project x 5.5s because the 750s wer too light! i really like the project x as they are solid......

however i do want to try the 1150s as ive heard such glowing reports....can anyone recommend a flex for me equivalent to the 5.5s and aside from the nice feel of the nippon....will there be any other difference?

I was afraid that the stock stiff 1150 might be too stiff for my liking.  My alternative thought is to get regular 1150's and hard step or again take stiff 1050's and hard step.

I'm assuming you're using X-flex 1150s? Are you getting more spin with the 1150s compared to the Project X 6.0?

Guys just a couple of questions. What is the difference between hard stepped and soft stepped?

Secondly how does the weight compare between say DG 400s, Rifle 6.0 and NS Pro 1150?

My swing speed with the driver is 108 mph. What is your recommendation for NS Pros for my irons.

Guys just a couple of questions. What is the difference between hard stepped and soft stepped?

Secondly how does the weight compare between say DG 400s, Rifle 6.0 and NS Pro 1150?

My swing speed with the driver is 108 mph. What is your recommendation for NS Pros for my irons.

Hard stepped is when you make the shaft play stiffer by putting the pw shaft in the 9 iron etc...or 4 iron shaft in the 3 iron. By doing this you achieve a slightly stiffer flex / frequency without going up a full flex.

Soft stepped is basically the opposite, where you put the 9 iron shaft in the wedge and so on....ie 2 iron shaft in the 3 iron. this helps give you a slightly weaker flex / frequency without going down a full flex.

in terms of weight the nippons will be the lightest, then rifle then the dynamic gold. IMO the 1050s play the best out of the 3 shafts you stated....as they are lighter which increases distance and have the best feel by miles....if it is a slightly better ball flight you are looking then go to the 1150 as these are meant to have a stiffer tip!

For you Phillip i would reccomend either the 1150s hardstepped in stiff, this should give you the most from the shaft and wont be too stiff ! :cool:

Thanks plus 1, I'm on the case. I'll let you know how they go once installed.

:confused: If the shafts are are hard stepped, what shaft do you use for the wedges, on the premise the wedge shaft goes into the 9 iron?

im installing a set of 1150 xflex in a brand new set of mr23 CBs......im gonna soft step these puppies because i heard they are stout !!!.....ummm does anybody have a set of stiff and want to trade my xstiff ???? :smile2:

im installing a set of 1150 xflex in a brand new set of mr23 CBs......im gonna soft step these puppies because i heard they are stout !!!.....ummm does anybody have a set of stiff and want to trade my xstiff ????    :smile2:

Have hit my MP60s w/ 1150 stiff side by side against NC-1s w/ 1150 x-stiff. Comparable distance - x-stiff obviously feels more stout but not overly so. If you're an aggressive hitter stick with the X. If smooth tempo, soft-stepping the X should be fine.

im installing a set of 1150 xflex in a brand new set of mr23 CBs......im gonna soft step these puppies because i heard they are stout !!!.....ummm does anybody have a set of stiff and want to trade my xstiff ????    :smile2:

They actually aren't that stout. I had to hardstep my 1150's in x-flex to get them to frequency like dynamic gold x-100s. If you softstep them it sounds like they will be very playable for you.

thankx for the advice guys.... :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to decide between the NS1050 and the NS1150. My driver swing speed is 95-99 mph and my 5 iron swing speed is 83-85 mph. What would you guys recommend? I've heard notheg but good things about the NS1150, and I do like a little heavier feel than the NS950, but I'm afraid the NS1150 might be too tip stiff for me. Perhaps I could soft-step the 1150's? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

:love: :love: We all differ in swing speed, and subsequently require different shaft flex, however one thing is comming through loud and clear the 1150 is a GR888T shaft.

yeah i though it was super......for me and my driver s of 100-105 i found 1050 in s was perfect or the 1150 in s softstepped....this gave me the best trajectory.

my fav was the 1150s because they were that little bit heavier! i highly recommend :cool:

I am looking at changing shafts in my TS202 which I bought off a member. I just installed Flighted Rifles 5.5 in them but I may want a shaft which is even smoother and easier to load, so I am looking at NS PRO 1050.

FYI: ballflight with my 202s with TFR5.5 is already on the high side, but not balloning and distance is OK, but I want something a little smoother and easier. I previously played Titleist 804s w/NSPRO 970 in reg. flex and liked the shaft!

Since my swing speed w/6 iron is around 85-87 mph and driver ss is around 95-98 mph, my 7 iron carry is approx. 160 yds, so would you guys recommend the 1050 in reg. or stiff?

As I said it just needs to be a little easier and smoother than TFR5.5

Thanks

Johann