What is a really solid feeling driver?

Godfather1

I have an older Tourstage MR-23 Maru spec 8.5* w/ Graphite Design M-85 x-flex for sale. This is the most solid driver that I have ever hit, but I moved up to 405cc. The Maru spec is 370 cc I think. I can take pics and send them if you want.

The smaller the head the better it will feel in most cases.

I notice many of you are mentioning Taylormade drivers, that would be considered poor feeling IMO. To know what solid is you would need to hit clubs such as the X500, J340, RX-1, X-Drive etc.. Tourstage has the best feel at impact but as the heads get bigger they start to feel more and more like TM's and other drivers, a good example of this would be the ViQ series.

At this moment there are not many solid feeling drivers on the market. The X-Drive 365 would be the best feeling new club available.

Solid to me means muted not loud with no hollow feel at impact with lots of substance behind the ball.

of U.S domestic equipment Titleist and Bridgestone feel pretty decent

Chris how would you rate the clubs you mentioned in order? Can you still get any?

The X500 would be the best in terms of feel but that sucker is tiny and has outdated technology IMO.

The X-Drive2 365cc would be my pick but keep in mind its a players driver, square face with a medium trajectory and mid center of gravity.

Looks like The Godfather already has one of the X-drive 365's!! Look no further I guess, right? :cool:

The smaller the head the better it will feel in most cases.

I notice many of you are mentioning Taylormade drivers, that would be considered poor feeling IMO. To know what solid is you would need to hit clubs such as the X500, J340, RX-1, X-Drive etc.. Tourstage has the best feel at impact but as the heads get bigger they start to feel more and more like TM's and other drivers, a good example of this would be the ViQ series.

At this moment there are not many solid feeling drivers on the market. The X-Drive 365 would be the best feeling new club available.  

Solid to me means muted not loud with no hollow feel at impact with lots of substance behind the ball.  

of U.S domestic equipment Titleist and Bridgestone feel pretty decent

Totally agree with Chris on this.

My favorite in terms of feel only:

J340

x500

RX-1 Type 315

X-Drive 365

Favorites in terms of feel and performance

X-Drive 365

J340

RX-1 Type 315

X500

I like Titleist clubs too...they just are a tad more harsh and definitely louder than the Tourstage mentioned.

If you want feel and don't care about forgiveness then go with the Mizuno Tour Spirit Model 1. And make sure it's model 1. Probably the best feeling driver I've ever played. Keep in mind it's older than the Tourstage X-500 and back in the days cost about $800 usd. Titanium driver that had this beautiful thwack and feel of a persimon.

Nothing really comes close to that *smack* that TourStage has. I agree with Chris about the larger the head though... The 365 X Drive and the Maru US Spec sounded unbelievable. I couldn't hit either of them worth a damn though. :wah:

Nothing really comes close to that *smack* that TourStage has.  I agree with Chris about the larger the head though...  The 365 X Drive and the Maru US Spec sounded unbelievable.  I couldn't hit either of them worth a damn though.  :wah:

I forgot about the Maru. Man! What a beautiful feeling club. I guess I didn't consider recommend the Maru because I just assumed he'd want to ACTUALLY hit playable balls with what ever he chose. :whistle:

most solid driver i have hit would have to be the tourstage maru spec followed by the r510 tp.

i really want to try the larger x drive 2 as ive heard great reports!

i would also have to agree that the larger the head, although it helps with forgiveness, does take away from the solid feel at impact....

chris how would you rate the VIQ 450 in comparison to say the tm drivers....and if its feel the player wants would u recommend this or the xd2

The Bridgestone Rx-1 was super sweet felt like persimmon. At 315 cc it was outstanding and one of the best for feel and performance. Bought mine from the dadriver and never should have sold it....sold it for a Taylormade R7 TP, not the same animal.

The new Ping G2 TOur model, avail in Japan, 400 cc is very very good

most solid driver i have hit would have to be the tourstage maru spec followed by the r510 tp.

i really want to try the larger x drive 2 as ive heard great reports!

i would also have to agree that the larger the head, although it helps with forgiveness, does take away from the solid feel at impact....

chris how would you rate the VIQ 450 in comparison to say the tm drivers....and if its feel the player wants would u recommend this or the xd2

I play the ViQ 450 w/W60 its an awesome club, I also have the FT-3, ERC HOT, X-18, X-Drive 405, Mizuno JPX, and R7XR. Of all of these clubs I suggest the ViQ 450 and R7-XR The ViQ is not a muted tourstage sound but it does have a muted feel if that makes any sense, its loud for a tourstage driver but you can feel more of the turbo rubber effect with the VIQ over the X-Drive and also its really long and easy to hit.

FYI the ViQ 450 is USGA conforming, the R7-XR is the #1 Driver on the womens Japan tour. Both really solid clubs.

standard?pictid={23A298B7-7147-498D-9BC6-842806E5EFC5}&exp=f&moddt=38567.0535275463

standard?pictid={C1FD1B38-8ECB-46BB-B108-4E8BE1A69CE1}&exp=f&moddt=38567.053117963

standard?pictid={5E6254EC-9DCA-4AF0-8F84-5725856DD8B2}&exp=f&moddt=38567.052713831

standard?pictid={79B25535-A5EA-481B-A289-EC16AE8E30C8}&exp=f&moddt=38567.0523399537

standard?pictid={553D92A9-EA34-4242-B51C-86BBD2F874E2}&exp=f&moddt=38567.053988588

ViQ450_10.jpg

Godfather,

I have a Tourstage Maru Spec I am willing to part with for the right price. It still has the Original Graphite Design M-85 (X-flex) in it. Let me know if you are interested!! :laugh: