sand filled putter shaft

jt916

didn't think of that one.

Last year, I bought a Dave Curry Big Oak putter with a 100g counterweight in the shaft. I had much more touch with it - so much so that I recently bought the Heavy Putter B3 which has a super heavyweight shaft to counter the 500g head. I too like the heavier feel and my own stats show I putt better with a heavier shaft.

I was evaluating how to weight my Gauge and you've given me a great idea :cool:

Thanks.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to a good heavy putter shaft for a blade putter?

My shaft feels a bit light.

Also see that Wilson are now promoting a counter weight in their grips. Having tested one of these it does seem to make the putter feel more balanced.

i played with an ex european tour player during this summer and he used a broom handle putter, with the shaft full to the butt with sand! i couldnt beleive this.....nor could i beleive the weight of the darn thing!

when i asked him, why all the weight? he told me it helped his putting tempo and made it easier for him to achieve a pendulum with the extra weight!

He stated to me that the more feel and tempo you have in your stroke, the more putts you will hole......so guys if sand is all it takes......im headin straight for the beach! :laugh: :cool:

I actually tried lead tape to avoid fooling around with re-grip. Lead tape make the putter heavier but I actually feel the shaft being hollow and kind of weird (maybe just me)..that did not work so I went with the sand. I actually heard you can use those shotgun buck shot but that too heavy.

the sand filled had work so well for me, I don't think I can do without it.

next step: I am taking a cheap extra 5-iron, filled the shaft with sand, go out to the range and practice my swing tempo, hitting the ball with it...instead of buying those expensive swing weighted club. I will let you know what it does to my swing :surprize: .

:smile2:

jt916 you maybe on to something here. I went out and played yesterday afternoon, and whilst I hit the ball pretty good my beloved BB2 was misbehaving.

Ended up practicing my putting till it was pitch black. Eventually it got a bit better.

To be honest when I putt poorly I feel the putter is a little light. Probably only psycological, but hey psycology is 95% of this game.

Looks like the grip will becoming off the Bettinardi, and the shaft will be filled with sand.

Did you notice any difference to the balance of the putter once you filled the shaft with sand?

Nope, for me as if the putter is part of my arm now. I actually like it so much now that I kept telling all my friends. Some took the plunge and did it, all came back telling me that their putting just got hot.

you could be right, it could be all psychological but that is part of golf isn't it?

here is the thing...the distance control is so much more better on fast green.

It is so crazy.

You should check out the following

http://www.balance-certified.com/

Its a similar idea but more accurate since you know exactly how much weight you will be addidng. I am going to get mine done this weekend. Just found out about it from a friend who swears by it. Ill let you know how it is after a few rounds.

Umm if its beach sand, I would wash and dry it, salt will kill your shafts. heheeh it would be funny if you had some critters in the sand. LOL. :surprize:

People usually use lead pellets, powder or something, but that leads to bad balance, so balance certified had the right idea. To me, excessive weights is just a mental aid, but I can see the help if you have the yips. most important thing is to maintain constant grip pressure, and practice well. Its all about confidence and good practice.

Sand seens a bit extreme, but heck its golf. Have fun! Just watch out if it has salt in it. RUST is bad.

If you are going to put sand into your shaft take the time to go to you local hardware store (take your putter with you) and find a rubber stopper that will plug the butf of your shaft. To break this down even further here is what you sholud do.

1) Strip grip

2) Use DRY SAND and fill putter with sand (note: different types of sand WILL increase the weigth of the putter differently). Make sure the sand is packed in up to the point the rubber plug will close off the top of the shaft.

3) Insert rubber plug and then trim flush with shaft (this can be done with a sharp knife).

4) Check club to see if the weight is to your liking if not try either another type of sand or here is the EXTREME option. Add a small piece of rebar into your shaft and then fill with sand and plug (this WILL make it heavier!)

5) regrip club and enjoy better putting!

I have done this in the past and it has worked well for me. I hope this helps.

There appears to be a plug in the top of Tigers putter grip.

Apparently Jack Nicklaus used to counter balance all his clubs.

Quite an interesting subject this one.

On a lighter note Betti was behaving herself yesterday afternoon, however I left 4 or 5 on the lip. Should have fillied the shaft with sand prior to the round. Probably would have made them and shot four or five better.

On the basis of the counter balance plugs, any ideas what wuld be a good weight for a 35 inch putter? :love:

Cut my anser 2 down to 31" added sugar in shaft ( the sugar packs much better then sand ) and a 110 gram Balance certified weight to butt and I could'nt be happier. I like the over all weight of putter instead of just adding weight to the head ! :niceshot:

thank you. i bought a scotty cameron newport beach putter a few monthes back. it was a standard 35"/330 gram putter that the shaft had been cut down to 33" and the shaft had been "sugar filled". the guy couldn't completely explain it to me, just that it was a tour trick. i asked around and everyone thought i was on crack. ended up getting the putter its been absolutely awesome.

I 'sanded' my SC CS NB last night and all I can say it :surprize: !!!!!

that is cool as hell, feels soo much more stable throught the stroke, just feels super solid, but not over board, just right!!

I recommend if your thinking about trying this, to go ahead and give it a go... its super simple to do and if you don't like it, just dump it out..

josh

I 'sanded' my SC CS NB last night and all I can say it :surprize: !!!!!

that is cool as hell, feels soo much more stable throught the stroke, just feels super solid, but not over board, just right!!

I recommend if your thinking about trying this, to go ahead and give it a go... its super simple to do and if you don't like it, just dump it out..

josh

I played last PM with awesome results, it really feel easy to putt down the line, as the extra wieght just allows you not to get too handsy and it was clearly an advantage for me, lag putt took a little bit more practice, but I can't praise this sand idea enough!

cheers

Josh

I guess the real question with all of this is not weather or not to try it, but simply weather to use sand or sugar.

I may be wrong, however sugar is probably less corrosive to the shaft.

I'm playing golf with my clubmaker next Thursday. The grip's coming off Betti, and the sugar is going in! :cool:

We have actually done this with a 3/8" diameter bolt for quite a few customers. We dip the bolt in "tool dip" and insert into the shaft (to hold it steady and absorb "shock"). Bolt length depends on how much weight we decide to add. This acts as the counter balance. Adding sand will increase the weight throughout the entire shaft. The bolt method is similar to what has been done by Heavy Putter with the exception of the increased weight at the head.

The main thing to remember is that it is all about personal preference. But think of it this way... how steady will you swing a sledgehammer during a putting stroke? It would be extremely difficult to break your wrists during the stroke with a sledge.

We have actually done this with a 3/8" diameter bolt for quite a few customers. We dip the bolt in "tool dip" and insert into the shaft (to hold it steady and absorb "shock"). Bolt length depends on how much weight we decide to add. This acts as the counter balance. Adding sand will increase the weight throughout the entire shaft. The bolt method is similar to what has been done by Heavy Putter with the exception of the increased weight at the head.

The main thing to remember is that it is all about personal preference. But think of it this way... how steady will you swing a sledgehammer during a putting stroke? It would be extremely difficult to break your wrists during the stroke with a sledge.

Yes, but the beauty of the sand is how it distributes the weight, unlike a bolt might be more centeralized to one area..but I can't speak for it as I haven't tried it... however I will say, everyone who has tried my sanded putter.. say wow that feel great and the head doesn't feel too heavy..what did you do??

As I have said it make the whole putter swing soo much more fluid within your arms and less in the hands, making it stupid easy to putt down the line, in addition I have noticed it takes away the opportunity to get too quick with the putting stroke when you start to get tense over a putt.. it a beautiful thing!! I am not going to say anything more about it as more people should try it and report back(not only that but I feel I have a huge advantage right now with the putter and I want to use it as my secrect!)

Trust me Try it!!! It will change your putting!

Guys,

Have you checked where the sweet spot is after filling the shaft with sand?

I can assure you it will be high and toward the heel. I understand your thoughts and the feel benefits for some players tempo etc, but as a design point of view... It will move the sweet spot too much.

Food for thought.