sand filled putter shaft

jt916

• 2 weeks later...

:cool: Betti has been "sugared up" this morning. I'm off to the course to see how she goes!

:cool: :love: :cool: :love:

Well guys I have got to say my clubmaker was somewhat sceptical about the idea of putting sugar in the shaft of a putter. However he is a good bloke, and we did it anyway. What the hell, you could just redo it and get rid of the sugar.

The first benefit to doing this was the previous evening I decided that the sugar need to be sealed with a cork. What else was I to do but open a great bottle of Australian red wine, so I could have a cork. The cork did need to be whitled down a bit, but that was ok.

The second benefit was that just after installation you could still smell the red through the butt of the grip.

I went to the course to try my sugared Bettinardi. Let me say at the outset that Robert Bettinardi makes very good putters. I use the BB2, and if you're a real purist there should be room in your collection for one traditional blade putter. I had a few putts on the practice green and noticed that the distance control was better than it had been, although it had never been poor it improved.

Off to the course. The distance control was even better on the course. The round is going ok, then I make an eight footer for birdie on the ninth. A couple of routine pars on 10 & 11. 12 a short par 4. I hit it in the frog hair, twenty five feet from the stick and then make the put for eagle.

Now let me tell you, the putter now feels more stable in my hands, somehow the sweetspot on the putter feels bigger and better, and of course the shaft feels unbelievable solid.

I know I've raved on, however I would suggest to everybody to give this a go

:cool: :love:

I have a cameron -the shaft filled with sand from the 16th green at medinah where Tiger saved par from during the final rd of pga.

(came home in a beer cup...still have the cup too.)

:cool: Well done. How did you get the sand past security? What beer were you drinking?

• 2 weeks later...
If you are going to put sand into your shaft take the time to go to you local hardware store (take your putter with you) and find a rubber stopper that will plug the butf of your shaft. To break this down even further here is what you sholud do.

1) Strip grip

2) Use DRY SAND and fill putter with sand (note: different types of sand WILL increase the weigth of the putter differently). Make sure the sand is packed in up to the point the rubber plug will close off the top of the shaft.

3) Insert rubber plug and then trim flush with shaft (this can be done with a sharp knife).

4) Check club to see if the weight is to your liking if not try either another type of sand or here is the EXTREME option. Add a small piece of rebar into your shaft and then fill with sand and plug (this WILL make it heavier!)

5) regrip club and enjoy better putting!

I have done this in the past and it has worked well for me. I hope this helps.

DK,

Sorry for a thread jack!

Would you check my post below?

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/modules.php?na...p=107523#107523

THX!

Joe

[email protected]

Joe,

Check your e-mail. I sent you a message there also.

Thank You for looking out :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my sand at a hobby shop. You know, art stuff. I went with red and it is perfect.

The first day I filled it and went to practice I noticed I couldn't miss. My lag putts were perfect, and I made at least 50% more of my putts. I thought I was ready for the tour. The next day I couldn't hit a barn. I came to figure out that the additional weight is great for practice. I makes you use the proper stroke. When it didn't work the second day I figured out that I was using my head not my body to putt the ball. On day one I just rolled the ball without thought.

• 2 months later...

\

I love this... I putted with a Jerry Barber putter in the 70s and loved it... it wasn't until years later that I learned that all of his putters had a lead weight in the batt of the shaft... I have done everything under the sun since then to balance the weight. And yes, the pros have been doing things like this for years.

Now, where do I get sand? Hmmm... I'm in enough traps... maybe I can score some there.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to revisit this topic.

I had never heard of this until I came on this board. I'm intrigued.

For those of you who have done this I would like to know if you are continuing to do this and the what the results have been over the long term?

Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to revisit this topic.

I had never heard of this until I came on this board. I'm intrigued.

For those of you who have done this I would like to know if you are continuing to do this and the what the results have been over the long term?

Thanks in advance.

I could never take the sugar out of mine. The days when the putter runs hot it is just unbelievable.

The only thing to compare is to turn the clock back thirty years, when you expected to make everything.

I could never take the sugar out of mine. The days when the putter runs hot it is just unbelievable.

The only thing to compare is to turn the clock back thirty years, when you expected to make everything.

Thanks for the update Jack. I just put sand in my Cammie. 1 round with it. Not sure about it yet but I think it takes a little time to adjust.

Out of curiosity has your "sweet" putter ever attracted ants? :tsg_smilie_laugh:

• 1 month later...

Hi there just wondering if this was legal to do. However just done it to my putter and it seems to feel

pretty good so here's hoping.

Hi there just wondering if this was legal to do. However just done it to my putter and it seems to feel

pretty good so here's hoping.

Adding sand or sugar to the shaft is only increasing the weight of the putter. According to the rules of golf it says nothing about the weight of any particular club. The rules do state things about lie angles and certain ways the club looks. Therefore adding weight to the club should be very much within the rules. However for a formal answer, you should contact the USGA.

• 1 month later...

HI....New to this site. I wanted to ask, I have a 30.5 inch Odyssey two ball putter. I have filled the shaft with sand to give it a better swing weight due to the shortness of the shaft. It feels good to me, and the putter still is face balanced (face up and parallel to shaft when balanced on finger) but i was curious did anyone have a feeling like the putter was heel heavy and added weight to the toe of the putter ? Thanks