Tiger & Phils Grip 1998 vs 2005

Tiger's grip is weaker and dare I say it more technically correct in 2005, than in 1998.

Phil's grip is weaker as well, however his left thumb could still go a little further to the right.

Still like to have eithers wallet.

Tiger has weakened the left hand a bit, less knuckles on view. Phils left hand is much weaker too, not so much a motorcycle grip but some would still class that as strong in the 2005 photo although weaker than his previous grip

Noticable on the golf course, Phil isn't as wild off the tee and tiger tends to lose it more to the right now.... even if you hadn't seen the pics, a sure fire sign of some change for control purposes. Their drives are so long there's no need to rip it and roll it right to left for more distance. Most courses are very punishing roughwise now so the fade is the tee shot to play.

• 3 months later...

Both of their left hand grips are alot weaker then before. I think this helps them control the ball better as it helps them to fade as I think some others have said here. both of their grips have gone from fairly strong to pretty much nuetral.

Both of their set-ups are better too, they have the ball up in their stance rather then more to the middle.

Edited by sly_sam

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know whether its perspective or not, but both seem to have made similar changes to me: (1) notice you see a lot more logo on the left hand in 1998, and (2) ball placement much further forward.

Yes, that is true. Tiger's grip is weaker than 1998 and has changed ball position. I know from his "How I Play Golf" book, that he used to play all shots closer to middle and I believe had a lower trajectory. Now he needs higher launch on driver to achieve maximum distance.

I might be wrong, but didn't Tiger hit the ball fairly high during his first years on tour and would have needed a different ball position?