5 Rounds with the new Diamana Red M-63!

TourSpecGolfer

After 5 rounds of golf with my Diamana Red M-65 in a W505 Srixon head I feel I can give it an accurate review past the honeymoon period. I have had good and normal swing days with this driver/shaft combo and am overall impressed with its performance. I will rate everything on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being perfect. A perfect total score of 20pts will give it TSG Holy Grail status, with our critical high standards here there has never been a holy grail in the history of all golf clubs despite what other sites call theirs.

Appearance = 4.5

I love the look of this shaft, Ion finish, flower band and it just matches with my red and black toned W505 driver. The only thing i would have prefered changed is the font of the 63x5ct area. Ok, i'm getting picky :tsg_smilie_rolleyes:

Distance = 4.0

Not as much carry as the axiv's i have used in the past but i was very pleased with the results the M63 gave me. It kicks well and has better distance than the majority of shafts out there.

Forgiveness = 4.5

Like the Diamana blue it is very easy to hit different patterns with this shaft. I think its the soft tip that turns my fade into a straighter ball flight, by small adjustments I was able to work the ball either way which is something many shafts don't let me do. The soft tip lifts the ball into the air quite easy while the stiffer mid section I'M prevented the ballooning that the blue diamana did. I rate it very high in the user friendly department.

Feel = 4.5

Vibrant and alive are two words that would best describe this shaft. Not even the slightest bit boardy.

Overall Score = 17.5pts

One of my top 3 shafts of all time, this has changed my perspective on the diamana which wasn't so good prior to the red M model. i'm getting a nice amount of carry and roll without losing feel or forgiveness. I highly suggest this shaft for mid to low handicapers.

post-13-1133890443_thumb.jpg

great review chris, as you know i loved the blue diamana....the only problem i had with it was the ballooning effect it was prone to. This shaft seems to have taken all the great characteristics of the blue and made added to them by eliminating the high spin rates!!!!

You say this is in your top three shafts.....what are the other two shafts? and on this point how does the forgiveness and distance compare to the axiv 6064 or 6060 you previously used?

Cheers bud! :tsg_smilie_cool:

After one round in my 3 wood, I've decided to put one in my driver as well. As it was designed to, the Red Diamana gives a little more feel and a fraction higher ball flight. In spite of having a lower kick point versus the Silver, the torque ratings are actually lower so there's no concern over loss of control. Too early to chime in with a more detailed review on my end but it's just as good as the Silver if not better. Not sure how it might perform for hard, aggressive hitters but for smooth tempos like mine, the Diamanas are working out real well. In addition, if Tiger has settled on Diamanas, it only confirms the merits of the line.

The Hong Kong Open is on next week and I'll try to observe which shafts are in play. Only going for the 2nd day so I might not get too much to feedback.

The red sounds like a better shaft than the blue. The hard question. Diamana red or Axiv? Over to you Chris.

The red sounds like a better shaft than the blue. The hard question. Diamana red or Axiv? Over to you Chris.

I don't know yet to be honest. The Axiv is still my current favorite shaft right now, just due to the massive amount of carry it provides and the fact that the 6064 untipped is the only shaft that I have ever owned to give me a double upward ball flight. Zoooom to where a normal shaft would peak ( even the red diamana ) then another pump upwards before it begins its decent. Its rather shocking if you can find the correct flex for you. The kick is violent and powerful.

Now the Diamana red on the other hand feels more controllable and together. it has a smoother kick and is more predictable.

I don't know yet to be honest. The Axiv is still my current favorite shaft right now, just due to the massive amount of carry it provides and the fact that the 6064 untipped is the only shaft that I have ever owned to give me a double upward ball flight. Zoooom to where a normal shaft would peak ( even the red diamana ) then another pump upwards before it begins its decent. Its rather shocking if you can find the correct flex for you. The kick is violent and powerful.

Now the Diamana red on the other hand feels more controllable and together. it has a smoother kick and is more predictable.

:tsg_smilie_cool: This may not be the right word, however the Axiv sounds more exciting. Each to their own, but I think that big kick in the hitting zone would be pretty cool.

It sounds like I'd need to tip my 6064 at least 1/2" to get it to play properly.

Is it to soft for you right now? If so try a quarter of an inch to half inch.

is the Axiv one of the custom options for X-Drive 435?

Sorry no it isnt, but the new Graphite Design PT-6 is.

Guys you really got me wanting both a red diamana and an axiv 6064. i previous bought a 6564 pullout that had been tipped over half an inch and it definately played too stiff for me. so untipped should be perfect!

after playing today chris a new driver is badly needed lol! will definately have to discuss head / shaft options! :tsg_smiley_yes:

Guys you really got me wanting both a red diamana and an axiv 6064. i previous bought a 6564 pullout that had been tipped over half an inch and it definately played too stiff for me. so untipped should be perfect!

after playing today chris a new driver is badly needed lol! will definately have to discuss head / shaft options! :tsg_smiley_yes:

:tsg_smilie_confused: Any further comment on the ozik shaft?

Chris, I know you like steel shafts in your fairway woods, however would you like to comment on the Axiv in the driver and Diamana red in the 3 wood combo?

:tsg_smiley_yes:

Chris,

How is the disperison of the Axiv to the Diamana red and Blue? The diamanas have a lower torque than the Axiv. I'm looking at a 60 plus gram shaft.

Chris, I know you like steel shafts in your fairway woods, however would you like to comment on the Axiv in the driver and Diamana red in the 3 wood combo?

I cant, I pretty much only play NS Pro steel in my fairway woods. Its a big help keeping shots in the short grass. Taipanli has had both the blue and red diamana's in his FW's maybe he can better answer that.

chris, these are the same ones that u r selling for 289?

Yes it is.

Chris,

How is the disperison of the Axiv to the Diamana red and Blue? The diamanas have a lower torque than the Axiv. I'm looking at a 60 plus gram shaft.

Lets say you go with the 6064 vs the M33, I would say the Diamana plays slightly tighter in regards to dispersion yet slightly softer in flex.

I cant, I pretty much only play NS Pro steel in my fairway woods. Its a big help keeping shots in the short grass. Taipanli has had both the blue and red diamana's in his FW's maybe he can better answer that.

Both play very similar but the Red does as it's designed to do which is promote a slightly higher ball flight with no loss of accuracy. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Btw, I'm selling the Silver Diamana I pulled from my XST (factory installed, no tipping, played at 42.5") :tsg_smilie_whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

went ahead and bought a driver from chris....Srixon 505 with Diamana red!

So far im liking this Red version better than the blue version. IMO it does go higher and definately feels weaker in flex. However it is just that the shaft has an extrodinary amount of kick! With this amount of feel i would usually expect to see a huge loss in accuracy, however i havent yet! and to be honest im actually hitting more fairways.....i feel this is because instead of my normal tendency to push my drives i am now getting a wee draw, this may be due to the low kick, delivering the club slightly earlier!!!!! :atsg_smilie_punch:

Definately i will have to put it up there with my favourite shaft - the Graphite Design W60. both of which i slightly prefer over the Blue diamana!

I think if you rely on feel and the feel of KICK through impact this shaft will assist you greatly! it will produce a lovely high flight to optimise carry, however not balloon!

• 1 month later...

In the Japanese shaft guides they say the Diamana M series encourages a fade ball. The M63 is for the swinger not hitter, while the M73 is for the stronger swinger. The M83 was recommended for both swingers and hitters with a decent amount of club head speed. They also said tempo is not a factor with this shaft as it is with the blue.

The Diamana Blue they recommend for the hitter with a smooth tempo.