Lookin for a new 3 wood, advice? wisdom? anything?

Lance99

Looking for a new 3 wood, something that is stupid easy to hit and get into the air. I suddenly cannot hit mine off the deck higher and was in the market for something to cure my club ho fix. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lance99

Mate, this is not everybodys choice, however I love my Bang-o-matic. I use the 15*, and it is real easy to hit (and long).

The other one that has caught my eye, is the new Taylor V2. Chris has these available in the pro shop. They look like a winner to me :tsg_smilie_cool:

Lance first off i have to say think ''import''. from my experience the import clubs are kind!!!! :tsg_smiley_yes: In terms of forgiveness im thinking of three.....

1.PRGR

2.MIZUNO JPX

3.TOURSTAGE XST

Any prgr 3 wood i have tried has been unreal easy to hit, ive found they are generally shallow making it easy to hit high of the deck as well as very easy to work. the technology put into the PRGR clubs is top notch and their stock shaft is usually very good! however downside is the price.

Next for forgiveness i would recommend the mizuno jpx. i am currently using this and have found it great. The ball launches of the face high and hot. Not the best for working the ball however it is very consitent in that i can hit high draw all day with it!

Third option is the tourstage XST, which imo is the best looking three wood. this is also forgiving n- however not as forgiving as the first two - with a super soft feel at impact. the turbo rubber actually really works! when i had mine, i found it difficult to hit a draw with it (probably due to its dead square face) but getting her airbourne was no problem.

Yeap, Bernard was kind enough to sell the X-ST to me.

From my range sessions with it so far, I agree, its super soft yet solid, very easy to get airbourne off the deck, the only problem with was the shaft, a bit tto soft for me, ended up hitting low/high hook/pulls with it, I'm hoping a reshaft will solve the issue.

Others to try are 904F, deep face but still easy enough to get airbourne.

Launchers, Ti, Steel and Comps all very good

V-Steel 2, seen them in person, not hit them but the shallow face and weight towards the back should make getting the ball airbourne pretty easy with this club.

Something easy to hit??

IMHO I would suggest to you TM R5 dual 3-wood or the any of the Cobra sz 3-wood. They are such a good deal right now in pricing.

if you want to go high end then try then go with any of the Tourstage X-st fw but I found out that it does not compare to the combination of the Sonartec 2.5 w/ Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 graphite shaft. This may piss alot of TSGer's off but Tourstage is good but not that good.

again it is only MHO. :tsg_smilie_wink:

if you want to go high end then try then go with any of the Tourstage X-st fw but I found out that it does not compare to the combination of the Sonartec 2.5 w/ Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 graphite shaft. This may piss alot of TSGer's off but Tourstage is good but not that good.

again it is only MHO. :tsg_smilie_wink:

Why would anyone be pissed off by your comment? To each his own. I love all Tourstage fairway woods and have never liked Sonartecs. Nonetheless, they are both undisputedly quality products. Different strokes for different folks... :tsg_smiley_yes:

Easy to hit...only have experience with domestic.

Callaway (Original) Steelhead (4+).

Second...TaylorMade's 200.

You can find them cheap on eBay.

Great off the deck and simple from the fairway.

Nothing exotic…just point and shoot.

So nice to be somewhere and not having to worry about being banned!

:tsg_smilie_rolleyes:

Edited by dhorlander

Why would anyone be pissed off by your comment? To each his own. I love all Tourstage fairway woods and have never liked Sonartecs. Nonetheless, they are both undisputedly quality products. Different strokes for different folks... :tsg_smiley_yes:

Exactly, nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, as long as its not Rude or offensive then express all you want.

I really like the X-ST and have always loved Sonartecs, I've bought loads of them but never ever got the right head/shaft combination and I can't be bothered to try any more, I guess Sonartecs and Me weren't meant to be :tsg_smilie_wah:

I have finnaly settled on a Callaway Big Bertha Titanium 3 wood (2005 version). Now this is easy to hit. But, too make getting the ball up easier from the fairway or rough, I installed a Grafalloy Prolaunch shaft.

Installing a low kick point shaft in your current 3 wood may be a cheaper way to go than getting a new 3 wood.

I have finnaly settled on a Callaway Big Bertha Titanium 3 wood (2005 version). Now this is easy to hit. But, too make getting the ball up easier from the fairway or rough, I installed a Grafalloy Prolaunch shaft.

Installing a low kick point shaft in your current 3 wood may be a cheaper way to go than getting a new 3 wood.

Yeah I have a low kick point shaft in my 904F, the YS-6. But it's probably my swing anyways, and I have a bad case of Wanna-buy-something-new-itis.

Thanks to all who responded. Got some interesting choices. Like the Launcher, BB, and the Tourstage X-ST. Have to go try them. Always a fan of the steelhead plus. Tried the Sonartec and Cobras didn't like em too much.

Anyone have some info on the X-ST with the NS Pro steel shaft. I like the weight of steel shafted fairway metals.

Thanks Again & Happy Holidays Everyone!

Lance first off i have to say think ''import''. from my experience the import clubs are kind!!!! :tsg_smiley_yes: In terms of forgiveness im thinking of three.....

1.PRGR

2.MIZUNO JPX

3.TOURSTAGE XST

Any prgr 3 wood i have tried has been unreal easy to hit, ive found they are generally shallow making it easy to hit high of the deck as well as very easy to work. the technology put into the PRGR clubs is top notch and their stock shaft is usually very good! however downside is the price.

Next for forgiveness i would recommend the mizuno jpx. i am currently using this and have found it great. The ball launches of the face high and hot. Not the best for working the ball however it is very consitent in that i can hit high draw all day with it!

Third option is the tourstage XST, which imo is the best looking three wood. this is also forgiving n- however not as forgiving as the first two - with a super soft feel at impact. the turbo rubber actually really works! when i had mine, i found it difficult to hit a draw with it (probably due to its dead square face) but getting her airbourne was no problem.

Thanks for the import advice Plus, as I already used your info to get the NC-1's. Great combo with the 1150's. The XST is intriguing. I might order it up with the NS Pro shaft.

L99,,

try a reshaft of yoru 3wd... pro launch 75, nvs 75, tour platform 27.3 all great fwy shafts and perfect for adding a little launch*** :tsg_smilie_cool:

Thanks for the import advice Plus, as I already used your info to get the NC-1's. Great combo with the 1150's. The XST is intriguing. I might order it up with the NS Pro shaft.

not a problem lance, happy to help.

XST with the steel is a super club, and very good value at that! it is heavier than graphite but not as heavy as a standard stell 3 wood.

flight is slightly lower with the nippon than say a low kick graphite, accuracy is good and distance is average. The feel of the overall club is very solid, yet cushioned or soft at impact due to the turbo rubber. This absorbs all vibrations and gives a lovely tingle in the hands!

Its a great idea to have a steel shaft in your 3 wood as i feel driver = distance.....3 wood = accuracy.

Lance after hitting my new mizuno jpx i will admit that it is by far the easiest 3 wood i have ever hit! the shaft and head combo is just perfect for my game at the moment! i say at the moment because, being a ho i know il change sooner or later!

This club gives me a great launch angle, high flight that does not balloon, it is easy to work left to right and right to left and most of all is simple to pick up of the deck!

All i can say is make sure you GO IMPORT, more specifically GO JPX! LOL :tsg_smilie_cool:

Thanks again for all the imput from everyone. I guess another question would be: is there a steel shaft with a low kick point? or a heavy graphite low kickpoint shaft? :huh:

I have to admit that I've not owned any of the JDM FWs, but - man - I am really loving the V Steel 2 with the NSPRO 950 steel right now. :tsg_smilie_love:

Back weighted head and laser straight with a good midkick that doesn't ballon, but also doesn't burn the grass.