Woods, Yacht Settle Lawsuit Over unauthorized use of TW Names, Photos

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Tiger Woods has settled a privacy-rights lawsuit over his yacht, aptly named "Privacy."

Venable LLP, the law firm representing Woods, issued a statement Monday saying the golfer had settled for an undisclosed amount with the builder of "Privacy," Vancouver, Wash.-based Christensen Shipyards Ltd.

Woods claimed in the lawsuit filed in 2004 that the company had breached its contract by using his name and photos of him and the 155-foot yacht as promotional materials without authorization.

"We made a mistake and truly regret the company's conduct," said Christensen president Joe Foggia in a statement released by Woods law firm.

Although the settlement amount was officially kept secret, Christensen's insurance company, St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Co., said in a related court action that the amount was $1.6 million.

In a lawsuit filed last week in Miami federal court, St. Paul asked a judge to order Christensen to pay the entire amount or to limit St. Paul's share to a $1 million cap cited in its policy with the shipbuilder. No hearing has been scheduled in that case. :tsg_smilie_money3:

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I know it seems weird that their paying Tiger more money, but the company breached their contract and I'm glad Tiger won this.It is his privacy and they used his name when it stated they couldn't.

I know it seems weird that their paying Tiger more money, but the company breached their contract and I'm glad Tiger won this.It is his privacy and they used his name when it stated they couldn't.

I agree, and to make Tiger look good as well (given all the money he has), it would be nice to direct all the funds to his foundation, or another charity. Just my thoughts.

I agree, and to make Tiger look good as well (given all the money he has), it would be nice to direct all the funds to his foundation, or another charity. Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't doubt Tiger puts the money into his foundation. He puts alot of money and time into his foundation and shows how great a guy he truely is.

I would imagine they knew this would happen once Tiger found out about unauthorized usage of his name, photos and brand.

You can bet his intention all along was to let someone else benefit from others greed. I was very please to read the outcome of the lawsuit. Good for Tiger, better for his foundation/s and best for all the kids.

Shame on you Christensen Shipyards Ltd. Don't you know anything about patent infringment laws....DUHH! :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Edited by DoubleAA