BERES by Honma Pics

Not sure if I would want the S or the R. I know you had said before that the S has a thinner topline. What other differences are there? Also, can they be ordered 1/2 inch over? I am looking forward to hearing your opinion of the TW901 irons, especially how they stack up against the Epons which I know you are high on.

Thanks,

JNH

Not sure if I would want the S or the R. I know you had said before that the S has a thinner topline. What other differences are there? Also, can they be ordered 1/2 inch over? I am looking forward to hearing your opinion of the TW901 irons, especially how they stack up against the Epons which I know you are high on.

Thanks,

JNH

the TW901 was very compact imo, smaller than the EPON's feel was very nice you know it if your playing the tour worlds, very attractive iron but i was hitting more fades than i wanted with it. The S would be for the pro or scratch golfer imo. the Retail version is good for most.

They are not the most forgiving irons available, but if your in love with the setup they are worth listing as an option imo.

Form Forged from mild steel is what I was told on the Beres when I was in the Honma store in Malaysia last May.

I read some rumors that it's a cast club. Which one is true?

At least they must do specific hardening on the surface, mine is difficult to get scratch and ding (compared to other "forged" clubs).

Form forged could be it :tsg_smiley_yes:

Form forged is also the kind of cast-forging process that Cleveland does on it's 900 series wedges (no longer in production). Form forged is a combination of cast and forged. I think the original form is made by casting the metal and then at some point in the final process you forger the head into it's final shape.

Ok I got a reply back from our Japanese Honma Rep, The TW901/W902 combo is available for those interested.

This is what the reply was about their materials:

These irons are actually forged, but they are made by cast.

I think all he did was make us more confused than we already were. Good to here about the combo set though. Thanks for getting that info. I have some irons to test before making a decision.

Actually it was explained to me and I was not actually told it was "form forged", the explanation was similar to the Form-Forged process of Cleveland, whereby the head is initailly cast, then "forged" into the final product.

The difference I think is the "form forging" of Honma/Beres is a 20+ step process which is double of the normal nmber of steps in a normal form-forging. Remember guys this is from I read in golf literature/marketing/brochures. I am no means a metallurgy or foundry expert.

Again my view is material used is a bigger factor than process in feel. These Beres feel very very good. Honma has always used some super sort mild steel in their "castings". A lot of Japanese companies (i.e.:Maruman) use the same material in their castings as well and are just as soft-dingable.

Cast or Forged?

So .. Indeed it's a cast club, the forging process is needed to change the density at certain position of the club, organize so the molecular structure points to the same direction or whatsoever.

But anyway (attn: Claus), why people have to urge to buy forged club? It's the feel that's important not the process how do they make it. Soft feel can be depend on other factors such as additional soft metal layer embedded on the club, schock absorber in the hosel or the shaft or anything else (Anyway I am not a golf expert :)))

We human cannot differentiate between cast and forged metal :) Just try, feel and buy it! Veni Vidi Vici

• 3 months later...
Cast or Forged?

So .. Indeed it's a cast club, the forging process is needed to change the density at certain position of the club, organize so the molecular structure points to the same direction or whatsoever.

But anyway (attn: Claus), why people have to urge to buy forged club? It's the feel that's important not the process how do they make it. Soft feel can be depend on other factors such as additional soft metal layer embedded on the club, schock absorber in the hosel or the shaft or anything else (Anyway I am not a golf expert :)))

We human cannot differentiate between cast and forged metal :) Just try, feel and buy it! Veni Vidi Vici

So its some sort of blend of carbon steel poured into a casting. I for a fact can feel the difference between forged and cast. I can feel the difference between finishes, and also different sole or cavity designs with the same exact steel. I can feel a hollow undercut, I can feel when turbo rubber is added.

Take your finger nail and tap the face of a Japanese forged club vs a Chinese cast club, you can hear it and feel the different high pitch "tink" it gives off.

Feel comes from:

1. The material used

2. The design of the sole

3. The loft of the club

4. The finish of the club

5. The configuration and Build of the club

Great post on feel Chris. I couldn't agree more. I assume you are including shaft and grip under either #4 or #5.

When it comes to putters this is the reason Cameron is so successful. His putters 'typically' feel more solid because of his attention to all of the details, not just one or two.

• 3 months later...

I think Honma shows that forging or casting method is less of an issue rather than proper balancing between the shaft and the club inherent characteristics.

Often clever engineering can defy logic if done right. Reminds of the Porsche which rear-engine basic design defies logic as they can produce perfect balanced ride on the bends.

A little late to enter the fray, but these are fantastic irons! I'm not crazy about Honma's image per say (I like the quality, but I'm not into the status symbol bit that goes with them in Asia) but their newer clubs have the same quality that made them so popular in years gone by, and they have some great player's models.

Chris, have you taken these out again, and if so, how are they stacking up against your Epons?

Cheers.