EPON: The Best Forged Steel ENDO has Ever Produced!

hey chris, the type j's are awesome! had them for a few weeks and about 5 rounds, nothing i had before can come close to these.

i was wondering though what is the loft of the PW?

Not Chris, but according to the Epon site the loft is 46 degrees.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I'm finally ready to post a review of the Epon Technica Pro II irons, now that I have played several rounds on them and have a good feel for what they can do. http://www.tourspecgolf.com/catalog/product-info-916.html I have the 3-PW with Nippon 1150 S flex, and for reference, my index varies around 10. I'm a straight hitter, but not a long hitter. I play them from 5-PW, and use Mizuno MP UX 2's to replace the 3 and 4 irons. http://www.tourspecgolf.com/catalog/product-info-596.html

I find the Pro II's styling very appealing, and there is little offset. The soles are slightly broader than average, but that's relative only; they're no Ping/Callaway shovels, by any stretch of the imagination. The finish on the soles is quite durable. I have not even the hint of a scratch on the soles, even though I've made a number of fairway bunker and long greenside bunker shots with various irons and the PW. The face is also very durable, with minimal tendency to mark or scratch. The topline is quite thin, and it looks for all practical purposes like a blade at setup, with the exception of being able to barely see the back of the sole on the long irons at address.

Distance is about a club longer than my prior MP 60, Tour Concept setup. The feel is extremely solid and smooth. They don't feel quite as soft as the Mizunos, but they feel more solid and vibration on a well struck shot is almost negligible. Even a bladed or chunked shot doesn't feel harsh, though there is plenty of feedback as to what I did wrong. The accuracy/dispersion for distance and direction is superb, and the forgiveness is above average.

The Nippon 1150 shafts are excellent. They are definitely heavier feeling and more solid than the 950's, but don't have any of the harshness that is sometimes felt with Dynamic Golds. They kick, but solidly and smoothly.

I'm very pleased with the purchase, but wanted to wait until I had quite a few rounds under my belt so the review didn't come across as honeymoon euphoria.

As always, I got great service from Chris.

great review!!!! just encouraged me to pull the trigger.......chris is usually bang on with his reviews and I am yet to disagree with his judgement. The Js will be in my bag before ya know it.

And if the driver is even more solid and pure than the 510 tp welll helllllllll....it will too

i have a few questions for you chris.....

1. can you get this epon driver in the hi core version>???????

2. Does the driver play true to loft?

3. can you get it totally customized ie bent to 8.5* loft 1* open?

4. CONGRATS ABOUT THE ARTICLE IN THE GOLF PUNK MAG!!!!!!

i have a few questions for you chris.....

1. can you get this epon driver in the hi core version>???????

2. Does the driver play true to loft?

3. can you get it totally customized ie bent to 8.5* loft 1* open?

4. CONGRATS ABOUT THE ARTICLE IN THE GOLF PUNK MAG!!!!!!

Yes, yes and yes(you can get it open or closed up to 1 degree, no loft in 8.5 however).... Plus1 you're late to the party!!! This is the best driver out there IMHO, tour or retail... Play it with an Axiv, and WOW!!!!!! Definitely go with the 460 version over the 415cc...

Edited by siteseer2

Yes, yes and yes(you can get it open or closed up to 1 degree, no loft in 8.5 however).... Plus1 you're late to the party!!! This is the best driver out there IMHO, tour or retail... Play it with an Axiv, and WOW!!!!!! Definitely go with the 460 version over the 415cc...

i know im late lol....as im sure you can tell i have been away from the computer for a few months.

Reviews on this suppy are unreal. im ordering up the js and the driver!

y do u say the 460 over the 415? also if i get a 9.5 and open it 1 degree then it effectively will play to 8.5 right?

lastly - can this be custom ordered with an axiv???

i know im late lol....as im sure you can tell i have been away from the computer for a few months.

Reviews on this suppy are unreal. im ordering up the js and the driver!

y do u say the 460 over the 415? also if i get a 9.5 and open it 1 degree then it effectively will play to 8.5 right?

lastly - can this be custom ordered with an axiv???

I just got a 460 with an Axiv from Chris. P-Mail him and negotiate the price. Mine has just arrived but I haven't gotten it out to the range yet. It's sitting in the post office because no one was home for the delivery. It'll get picked up today, but tonight is my mother-in law's birthday party, so I won't be able to hit it on the range until tomorrow, and due to other appointments Thursday, I won't be able to get it out on the course until Friday. AAAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Edited by dorkman53

OK. I'm finally ready to post a review of the Epon Technica Pro II irons, now that I have played several rounds on them and have a good feel for what they can do. http://www.tourspecgolf.com/catalog/product-info-916.html I have the 3-PW with Nippon 1150 S flex, and for reference, my index varies around 10. I'm a straight hitter, but not a long hitter. I play them from 5-PW, and use Mizuno MP UX 2's to replace the 3 and 4 irons. http://www.tourspecgolf.com/catalog/product-info-596.html

I find the Pro II's styling very appealing, and there is little offset. The soles are slightly broader than average, but that's relative only; they're no Ping/Callaway shovels, by any stretch of the imagination. The finish on the soles is quite durable. I have not even the hint of a scratch on the soles, even though I've made a number of fairway bunker and long greenside bunker shots with various irons and the PW. The face is also very durable, with minimal tendency to mark or scratch. The topline is quite thin, and it looks for all practical purposes like a blade at setup, with the exception of being able to barely see the back of the sole on the long irons at address.

Distance is about a club longer than my prior MP 60, Tour Concept setup. The feel is extremely solid and smooth. They don't feel quite as soft as the Mizunos, but they feel more solid and vibration on a well struck shot is almost negligible. Even a bladed or chunked shot doesn't feel harsh, though there is plenty of feedback as to what I did wrong. The accuracy/dispersion for distance and direction is superb, and the forgiveness is above average.

The Nippon 1150 shafts are excellent. They are definitely heavier feeling and more solid than the 950's, but don't have any of the harshness that is sometimes felt with Dynamic Golds. They kick, but solidly and smoothly.

I'm very pleased with the purchase, but wanted to wait until I had quite a few rounds under my belt so the review didn't come across as honeymoon euphoria.

As always, I got great service from Chris.

Great review. Thanks for the detailed comments. :tsg_smiley_yes:

I've now had my new Epon Technity 460 10.5 driver with the Axiv 6465L shaft out for several sessions on the range and several rounds.

Verdict? This club is absolutely outstanding.

I heartily concur with the others who said exactly the same thing about this head/shaft combination.

The head is attractive, understated, and elegant appearing. The head feels extremely solid, and the sound is a relatively low pitched "thwock"; not high pitched or a tinny sound. The feel is tremendous; very smooth with very little vibration. Even shots hit off the sweet spot feel quite solid. Shots on the sweet spot feel absolutely wonderful. The forgiveness with this head/shaft combination is also outstanding. It takes a pretty bad swing to be worse than the first cut of rough. I'm getting more fairways PLUS more distance than anything I've hit in the past. My previous driver, the G Field GFT 1W 10.5 was the current reigning champ for forgiveness and accuracy until the Epon came on the scene.

I'm a low hitter so I got the maximum available loft on this club and went with a low kickpoint shaft. I get a nice mid line drive trajectory with LOTS of rollout. The Axiv kicks well without making me force the issue. There's plenty of kick, but plenty of control. I'm about a 95-98 mph smooth tempo swinger, not a hitter. This shaft is fantastic for me. I probably could have gone a half flex softer to an R flex and gotten a bit more distance, but I might have lost a bit of control in the process. This combination is every bit as straight and accurate for me as my old TM R510 TP with a 757, but hits a lot farther because of better carry to accompany the better than average rollout. The Axiv has better kick than the 757, IMHO, without giving up anything in the control department. (I still am a big fan of the 757's, and play them in my 3 and 5 woods).

So if you are looking for outstanding feel, forgiveness, and excellent distance, and have some disposable income to send Chris, I'd heartily recommend the Epon Technity 460. That particular Axiv obviously might not be for you, but the Axiv has such a wide variety of weights, flexes, and kickpoints that if one wanted that shaft there would certainly be one right for just about anyone.

Thanks again, Chris. You've never let me down or given me less than stellar advice.

i've had my type j's for a decent amount of time now, and i am still very pleased with them. however, i am beggining to wonder if i try to pry off the insert that says "technity type j" would it have the "techinca pro 1" engraved under it? i am definitely not going to do it but im curious!

i've had my type j's for a decent amount of time now, and i am still very pleased with them. however, i am beggining to wonder if i try to pry off the insert that says "technity type j" would it have the "techinca pro 1" engraved under it? i am definitely not going to do it but im curious!

I have wondered the same exact thing, I am not willing to try it myself but I think the PRO I is under there.

I LOVE THE WOODS... very pretty. The irons - well I love my i5's to every change those. The 460 has a really nice profile. I like the look of the 3w, except I like a little bit of toe bulge. I'd hit 'em though.

Oh yeah - and I wish more irons would have the number out on the toe - I just think it's a better place for that.

Does anyone know if the H-cor model of the 460 feel and sound the same as the regular 460 model...

Thanks

Hey Wes,

I just had a convo with Rusty, nice guy he is. Thanks for setting us up.

The HR model EPON driver has a higher pitch and they are going to discontinue it due to the face getting scratched up easier than the conforming version.

hey wes,

was just wondering how u are enjoying your type x epon irons? and specs you have them in/.......

i have a set of the type js with 1150s and just ordered a set of the type x to do a comparison........so if ya can give me some insight into these bad boys i will know what to expect!

ps im not sure if you have the 460 or not but as far as i can see there is no need for the Hicore model lol.....the ordinary 460 flies as is! :tsg_smilie_cool:

Epon 460 with an Axiv-V 8076 on order from Chris today.

I just couldn't resist the tingling "ho" senses any longer!

:tsg_smiley_laughatyou: :tsg_smilie_money3:

Epon 460 with an Axiv-V 8076 on order from Chris today.

I just couldn't resist the tingling "ho" senses any longer!

:tsg_smiley_laughatyou: :tsg_smilie_money3:

Hilarious, is that kinda like the tingling spidey sense? I surely know the "ho" temptation :tsg_smilie_money3:

Hilarious, is that kinda like the tingling spidey sense? I surely know the "ho" temptation :tsg_smilie_money3:

Maddening, isn't it!! :tsg_smiley_yes:

Hey Wes,

I just had a convo with Rusty, nice guy he is. Thanks for setting us up.

The HR model EPON driver has a higher pitch and they are going to discontinue it due to the face getting scratched up easier than the conforming version.

YW Chris...Rusty is a cool guy and does great work in my opinion. I hope it works out for all...

hey wes,

was just wondering how u are enjoying your type x epon irons? and specs you have them in/.......

i have a set of the type js with 1150s and just ordered a set of the type x to do a comparison........so if ya can give me some insight into these bad boys i will know what to expect!

ps im not sure if you have the 460 or not but as far as i can see there is no need for the Hicore model lol.....the ordinary 460 flies as is! :tsg_smilie_cool:

sorry for the delay plus1.. my computers been on the blink...

I love the type x irons alot...easiest irons to hit that ive tried...even compared to cast game improvement irons...at set up its not as bulky as those cast irons so it looks great...I gather the type j will feel softer as they are more like true blades...i have mine set upright 2 degrees from their standard specs and have NS 950s reg flex in them as i dont swing that hard...ballflight is quite high...moreso than other sets but not really a balloning type flight...which is why they have the lofts stronger than what id call standard. Distance is on perhaps half a club or a bit more longer...again due to the stronger lofts...The only thing i needed to do after I got them was to add a bit of lead tape to the wedge and short irons as the swing weight was a bit light for my feel...right now they sit at around D2...I dont try to work my irons as much as others as I just try to hit them straight and these irons do not disappoint in that respect...but I think you can work them a bit but probably not as much as the J...

Great set for those who want forged feel yet very forgiving cavity back performance...cant see getting anything else anytime soon...

sorry for the delay plus1.. my computers been on the blink...

I love the type x irons alot...easiest irons to hit that ive tried...even compared to cast game improvement irons...at set up its not as bulky as those cast irons so it looks great...I gather the type j will feel softer as they are more like true blades...i have mine set upright 2 degrees from their standard specs and have NS 950s reg flex in them as i dont swing that hard...ballflight is quite high...moreso than other sets but not really a balloning type flight...which is why they have the lofts stronger than what id call standard. Distance is on perhaps half a club or a bit more longer...again due to the stronger lofts...The only thing i needed to do after I got them was to add a bit of lead tape to the wedge and short irons as the swing weight was a bit light for my feel...right now they sit at around D2...I dont try to work my irons as much as others as I just try to hit them straight and these irons do not disappoint in that respect...but I think you can work them a bit but probably not as much as the J...

Great set for those who want forged feel yet very forgiving cavity back performance...cant see getting anything else anytime soon...

The Type X has lighter heads than the Type J or PRO II, I wish you gave me exact specs to follow as I could have ordered them heavy for you. Thats they glory of ENDO as the owner of EPON. The higher ball flight i contribute to the NS950, with 1150's the flight is on par with other sets i have tried.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of the Type J coming from Chris, but I hit another guys set today..

same as I ordered----with Nippon 1150 Stiff

I can't possibly imagine any iron feeling any better than this..What an iron!!

EVERYTHING that has been said about the Type J's is true

I was content to wait on mine--now I'm not

Chris...how much for faster delivery???? C'mon -you have connections!!! :tsg_smilie_cool:

Edited by madball