EPON: The Best Forged Steel ENDO has Ever Produced!

IMO, the head weight should never determine the shaft you use. Select a shaft that you have tested and has the best results with your swing.

Here are the head weights:

#3 247.0

#4 252.5

#5 259.0

#6 266.5

#7 274.5

#8 281.5

#9 289.0

PW 297.5

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the head weight should never determine the shaft you use. Select a shaft that you have tested and has the best results with your swing.

Here are the head weights:

#3 247.0

#4 252.5

#5 259.0

#6 266.5

#7 274.5

#8 281.5

#9 289.0

PW 297.5

Head weights can & do sometimes dictate shaft choice. Those heads are nice and heavy--my guess is they're targeted for a 37.5" 5-iron set. I have a custom forged set of tour heads that are ~2 grams lighter than that set. I had to use DGSL shafts at ½" short to get the swingweights down to D3/D4 range. I prefer a shorter iron, but a taller man who needs an over length shaft would have to use a very light shaft with those head weights to get a reasonable SW.

Edited by tsg4tch

thanks for the input guys.

I am very tempted to order a set of these or the beres of you now chris! as my last two sets of CUSTOM irons have turned out a joke. However i have been getting great results from the tour concepts and i was thinking that with the heavier heads that theywill perform odd.

Any recommendations for me?

Ts4,

I never thought of that I stand corrected, I was in a 2-D bubble looking inward :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Plus 1, The Type J is so set in my bag, Beres, G-field, Hiro, nothing has ever felt this good at impact and inspired so much confidence in my swing. no joke these are my new gamers, and hold me to it guys but i'm thinking for at least a year+. That freaken GOOD! I will be posting a review soon. Words cant explain how happy I am with these irons.

The 460 driver has knocked the ERC3 out of the bag with ease and thats with its stock DREV vs the PT-6 so I am very impressed. The feel is unreal, its like comparing cast to forged but in titanium. The words that describe it best for me is a soft R7 400cc, or 360 Tour like feel but 15% better. :tsg_smilie_confused:

The only thing that didn't fit me right was the fairway wood, its got an extremely muted feel during a time I am in love with that steel feel. The assistant pro I play with loves it to death but I just don't feel this thing. Right now the GFT 4 wood and Cally ERC Hot FW's are in a fist fight for who gets into my gamer set. The Epon is out of the battle already.

The wedges were very nice but i'm not a fan of finishes that rust, they are super soft and sweet feeling, nice heavy head feel. I think these could be the best feeling wedges I have ever hit. I sill got the Beres LW101 with axiv graphite as my 58* and the 52* G-Field GFT in the bag.

Putter is the #0 Premium zone in blue.

Chris,

what shaft combo were you able to play with?

Which shaft do think would make a great combo?

what were the main differences between the J and Pro?

Thanks,

Alex

plus 1: what is it about the g fields that you are thinking of switching for? just curious. those j's do look sweet.

chris:

from a forgivenss standpoint, how does the j measure against the g field nc1? you've got me tempted. also, are the heads available alone or must be purchased assembled?

Edited by landshark

I play my Type J's with the NS Pro 1150 Stiff. Its perfect for me and I highly suggest that shaft.

NC-1 vs Type J no comparison, in the feel dept the NC-1s are not even close to as pure or soft at impact. The forgiveness factor I havent seen much of a difference in also, I hit the Type J #3 iron better than I hit the NC-1 #3, I hit them better because they setup much much better to my eye.

There are now many irons available that top the G-Field version of the NC-1 IMO.

EPON is like the Rolls Royce of players CB's they are not available in heads only.

What was the finished 5 iron length of your set Chris with the Nippon 1150s?I like a 38" 5 iron but like the D-2/D3 swingweight can I get that?

custom specs for you are not a problem :tsg_smiley_yes:

custom specs for you are not a problem :tsg_smiley_yes:

Received my Epon 415 driver and wedges (52 & 58) yesterday. The driver is very impressive. I'm not sure I've ever felt that soft a feeling at impact, and it was clearly longer than my TM R7 425. Granted, the loft on the Epon is 9.5 whereas the loft of the TM is 10.5. I played 18 holes with the TM yesterday morning and had one of the best ball striking days of my life. I picked up the Epons at lunchtime from my office, came back out and played 9 more with the Epon driver and wedges in place of my TM driver and Gauge wedges. The Epon driver was an average of 10 yards longer than the TM on a day when I was hitting my best drives. On the 9th hole at my course (370 yard par 4), I hit one of my best drives of the day with the TM driver and had a little less than 150 to the center of the green. In the afternoon with the Epon on the same hole I had 120 to the green.

The wedges were no less impressive. I like the size and especially the weighting. The finish I fell in love with immediately. I've never owned anything other than a chrome or satin finish wedge. This one is a stunner.

I can't wait to get the J irons and the FW's.

hey lennie, great review on the driver and wedges! cant wait to hear your thoughts on the irons. what shaft have you put in the driver and planned for the irons???

landshark:

i actually sold the g field a long time ago. i just havent updated mywhats in the bag. The g fields were superb clubs, nice and crisp and very forgiving, and they looked unreal! however being the ho i am i just had to move on! The day i find a set that i stick with will be the day the world stops rotating!!!!

Chris what else can be customized? Thanks in advance & Happy Fourth of July to all of TSG! :atsg_logo_anim:

I'm loving the look of the 460. I found info elsewhere that it comes in Pro and HighRally models? Also that the loft and face angle can be ordered to the 0.25*. Very cool.

hey lennie, great review on the driver and wedges! cant wait to hear your thoughts on the irons. what shaft have you put in the driver and planned for the irons???

landshark:

i actually sold the g field a long time ago. i just havent updated mywhats in the bag. The g fields were superb clubs, nice and crisp and very forgiving, and they looked unreal! however being the ho i am i just had to move on! The day i find a set that i stick with will be the day the world stops rotating!!!!

My driver shaft is the stock DREV. Irons will be stock Shimada AC-10's.

what type of shaft or specs are the shimada steel? how favorable is that over say the nippon or an accra tour steel?

Chris would be in a better position to answer those questions....

Here's a few pictures of my Epon bag, consisting of "J" irons 3-PW, 52 and 58 degree wedges, 415 driver, and 3 & 5 woods. Putter is a Zomo Z-zero. I rec'd the irons and FW's yesterday and was able to get in 9 holes with them. I'll echo Chris's comments about the irons............they are very nice and I will admit to being smitten immediately by the look and feel. For me, they setup beautifully and performed well. I ordered them 1 degree up and swingweighted D-2/D-3 with the Shimada AC-10 shafts in regular flex. I actually like the "muted" sound/feel of the FW's and hit them well, particularly the 3 wood off the tee on a short par 4. The DREV stiff shafts in the FW's play a little stiffer than the stiff shaft in the driver.

post-3677-1152274996.jpg

post-3677-1152275019.jpg

post-3677-1152275034.jpg

post-3677-1152275047.jpg

post-3677-1152275060.jpg

post-3677-1152275073.jpg

post-3677-1152275088.jpg

post-3677-1152275101.jpg

very sweet. still want to know more about the shimada shafts. why did you decide on them rather than others? thanks for the pics.

Pretty much on Chris's recomendation. They appear to be similar to Dynamic Gold, maybe a little stiffer in R flex than Dynamic Gold. I like them just fine based on the few shots that I hit yesterday.

Chris,

How is the honeymoon going with the type j? Did you ever play the type X? How do they compare?

Thanks,

Alex

Since getting these irons I have been neglecting the forums due to increased passion for the game :tsg_smilie_wink:

I have hit all models of EPON irons and i'm very very impressed by each one. The main difference between the type J and technica pro II and type X is the feel. because there is no undercut on the J its softer, in fact its as soft or softer than the majority of muscle backs. i'm not sure how they did that with no copper underlay but it must be the finish combo or the steel grade and quality.

Type X is flat out easy to hit, they remind me of the TS-202 very much, soft and pure with a design thats simply to die for. I hit them well but i'm a players cb kinda guy. If you liked the 202 by tourstage you gotta give these a try.

The Pro II i liked even better than the type X as they felt a bit better at impact. the profile was very nice and it came down to this set vs the type J. I selected the J as it was just a fraction softer in the longer irons and just so purdy from the back face to look at.

The honeymoon is over yet i'm still hitting them as we are a happy married couple. Honestly guys I don't see another set of irons for a very long time. Just going to fine tune my game with these and live happily ever after.

originally i was intrigued by the x, but then saw the j model. now the pro ll is looking sweet. in size comparisons is the pro ll about in the middle between teh j and the x? also, i would imagine forgiveness about in the middle as well? if you had to put a softness rating of the three, how would you rate them?

thanks