Jim McLean

AKFLY

Have both the Hogan and Snead tapes, his original instructional tape with David Glenz, and the "Eight Step..." book.

Was disappointed by his commentary in the Hogan and Snead tapes; was expecting something a little more in-depth or insightful. Also, there is some weird stuff on the Hogan tape such as Jackie Burke saying (with a straight face) that Hogan deliberately hit his driver on the neck to make the ball move left to right (with a persimmon head, that must have cost him 20 yards!). Best parts are the swing sequences.

As for his book, McLean's writing never grabbed me either.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

THE BOOKS ARE GOOD; BUT YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE QUALITY OF HIS LESSONS. MY 25 YEAR OLD SON IS THERE AGAIN THIS WEEK FOR LESSONS AND HIS STAFF AND TEACHING AIDS ARE SUPERB. ENOUGH CANNOT BE SAID. MONEY WELL SPENT. PS. I have had lessons there too . He's a 2 and I am a 4.

nickyprice wrote:

BUT YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE QUALITY OF HIS LESSONS.

One of the best players in the NYC area, George Zahringer, 2002 mid-am champion, is also a McLean student.

BTW, the Hogan video was on the Golf Channel again the other night. If you have TiVo, you can set it to record all of his stuff that comes on.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Also, there is some weird stuff on the Hogan tape such as Jackie Burke saying (with a straight face) that Hogan deliberately hit his driver on the neck to make the ball move left to right (with a persimmon head, that must have cost him 20 yards!).

...never heard that one. I have seen Ben Hogan's personal persimmon driver though in my hands. And yes it was the real thing. One of my good friends who got me into golf found the famous One iron that Hogan hit the shot with in the USOpen. it was stolen out of his bag and was missing for years. but my friend found it with a guy that did not even know what he had. so my friend bought it for nothing and gave it to Lanny Wadkins (my friend lives within a few minutes from him) to take to Hogan personally in Fort Worth. the clubhead itself was in about 8/10 condition (to our club judging standards) but the sweet spot was completely worn out (just the sweet spot; no where else on the club; only Hogan and a few other great ball strikers could of worn a club out like that). Lanny Wadkins takes the club with him when he went to play the Colonial and he hands it to old Mr. Hogan on the range and BH says that it was surely the club no question about it. from what i remember, the club sits in the USGA museum in NJ. as a token for finding the club, BH gives my friend one of his drivers and a set of personally ground irons he played with from back in the day of his golfing glory. this driver had some custom features such as...

-the back was ported and cut just how Hogan wanted it. I forget what my friend said Hogan (they supposedly talked on the phone quite a few times) said the purpose of that was.

-the face angle itself was square but...the grip was turned and wrapped a certain way to allow for a faded ball flight. Hogan did this himself.

I need to take pictures of this club and its features along with the irons. He also received some clubs from Tom Kite when Tom played Hogan clubs. when i get the pictures i will tell that story.