Tiger and the 2-Iron "Stinger"

Goldenhawk

According to Tiger himself from a Golf Digest "Pet Shots" article he doesn't even call it a "Stigner". In fact he says he has no idea where that name actually came from. But to hit it, it's pretty simple in technique. He says you take a normal swing in terms of length and speed. The only change comes at impact. He says you have to feel as though the emblem on your golve is pointing into the ground. This will take alot of loft off your club and you'll hit it low and through the wind.

According to Tiger himself from a Golf Digest "Pet Shots" article he doesn't even call it a "Stigner". In fact he says he has no idea where that name actually came from. But to hit it, it's pretty simple in technique. He says you take a normal swing in terms of length and speed. The only change comes at impact. He says you have to feel as though the emblem on your golve is pointing into the ground. This will take alot of loft off your club and you'll hit it low and through the wind.

Thanks...........I will now give that a try. But, I'll be using a 3 iron since I don't have a 2.

I myself use this shot and for me, the key is the shoulders and the hands. Keep your thumbs pointing down to the ground through the shot or your back of the leading hand square through impact, whatever visual will work for you. Along with that however make sure the shoulders "move through" the shot. Its vitally important not to decelerate through the shot. Lastly you don't turn your hands over. Just keep the wrists firm and move them towards the target down the line without letting them break. Basically by keeping the club square throughout the shot and using your shoulders to power you extend your hitting zone through the ball. Also since you keep your wrists as such, you deloft the club keeping the trajectory down. It takes practice but once you get it down, its such an awesome shot. You can use it with any club in your bag and it also adds a lot of fun to practice.

Off to the driving range I go. I figure that hitting the Stinger would be a good alternative to hitting a driver and fairway wood all the time. Especially if the fairways get dried out as the summer goes on.

Off to the driving range I go. I figure that hitting the Stinger would be a good alternative to hitting a driver and fairway wood all the time. Especially if the fairways get dried out as the summer goes on.

Let us know how it goes! You've got me longing for the days when I used to sit on a range for hours on end working on different types of shots, such as the "stinger". Although, with this heat wave, sitting at the range for any extended period of time would require gallons and gallons of liquid refreshment along with some serious sunscreen! :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Seriously though, keep us updated on your progress and have fun with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Let us know how it goes! You've got me longing for the days when I used to sit on a range for hours on end working on different types of shots, such as the "stinger". Although, with this heat wave, sitting at the range for any extended period of time would require gallons and gallons of liquid refreshment along with some serious sunscreen! :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Seriously though, keep us updated on your progress and have fun with it.

I've been working on the stinger shot and I've been getting it to a point where I can hit it on a regular basis with my 3 iron. The ball flight is lower, but it rolls forever.........210 yards on a nice baked-brown hard fairway. Keep in mind that only about 170-180 of that is carry.

Note.........I've tried to hit the stinger with a hybrid. It doesn't happen for me. My hybrid's weighting probably make it impossible to hit a stinger.

I may get a 2 iron just for the hell of it now.

I've been working on the stinger shot and I've been getting it to a point where I can hit it on a regular basis with my 3 iron. The ball flight is lower, but it rolls forever.........210 yards on a nice baked-brown hard fairway. Keep in mind that only about 170-180 of that is carry.

Note.........I've tried to hit the stinger with a hybrid. It doesn't happen for me. My hybrid's weighting probably make it impossible to hit a stinger.

I may get a 2 iron just for the hell of it now.

Glad to hear its going well for you. Keep trying from time to time with the utility clubs and woods. There really is nothing quite like a 3-wood stinger shot. Its great when the wind really starts to blow hard.

Glad to hear its going well for you. Keep trying from time to time with the utility clubs and woods. There really is nothing quite like a 3-wood stinger shot. Its great when the wind really starts to blow hard.

A 3-wood stinger. Now there's a challenge I've got to try. Off to the range I go. One can never have too many options.

All good tips.

I'd add that a great way to really groove the stinger is start by hitting it with higher lofted clubs, especially if you want to move the ball (a la Tiger's stinger draw). If you're not hitting a low draw that rolls out with a 5 iron, you're not going to hit it correctly with a 3. Master it with a 5 and then move down to 4, then to 3, etc.

BTW, a consistent 4 iron stinger is much better than an on again/off again 3 or 2 iron. Don't feel the need to play the stinger into the really long irons and fairways unless you've really mastered the shot. It's supposed to be a "go to" :tsg_smilie_wink:

• 4 weeks later...

just found a much easier way of playing this shot.

1) Get an easy to hit 2 iron (i;ve used a cleveland TA4)

2) Find a really really stiff steel shaft. (i've just used a ZZ-65 shaft meant for a 6 iron)

3) Stick the club in a vice and squeeze the loft out of it.

no word of a lie the hightest i can get this off the ground is about 20 feet and it is just so powerfull.