Taylormade R7 Forged Limited Iron w/Pics!

I was able to get 18 holes in with these irons the other day, very easy to hit while sweet and soft like the Miura forged 300's of several years ago. I would have to say this set of players CB's are the sweetest Taylormade has ever produced to date. I don't know what foundry made it so no need to ask but I do know there is a limited amount of these puppys around and that the design comes from the Japanese Tour pro's love for the 300 series Miura model and that sparked the creation of this fine set of forged irons.

The set tested had DGS00's installed but they will be getting the NS1150 treatment later this week. I wouldn't say they are tiny heads but rather very playable and compact cb's with the profile for a player of tour like or top amateur abilities.

Here are some actual pics:

Picture-661.jpg

Picture-644.jpg

Picture-666.jpg

Picture-651.jpg

Picture-659.jpg

Picture-633.jpg

Picture-638.jpg

Picture-642.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey chris, are you going to hit those with your preferred nippon 1150 setup or the standard shafts? Either way, can't wait for the review.

2 days ago at a local pro shop, the sales person told me my irons were fakes then showed his pro and he too confirmed Taylormade has made no such irons and that the R7 forged fakes in my hands were cast.

:tsg_smilie_rolleyes: I get this alot.

2 days ago at a local pro shop, the sales person told me my irons were fakes then showed his pro and he too confirmed Taylormade has made no such irons and that the R7 forged fakes in my hands were cast.

:tsg_smilie_rolleyes: I get this alot.

That's incredible. It just goes to show you that the majority of people working in golf shops do not have a clue about what's out there in the real world. They don't take the time to learn anything about their industry. I have yet to find more than a handful of people in my 20+ years of being an equipment enthusiast ANYONE in a pro shop or retail store that knows any more (and most often much less) about golf equipment than I. Besides, anyone with a computer can go to Taylormade's Japan website and see that they are the real deal!

Edited by Lennie

how does the topline stack up against the original nc1s? - looking at them its very similar....would you say the xblades have a thinner tiopline?

thanks!

The topline is a full mm thinner than the NC-1's.

About the same as the X-Blade CB2

The PW still seems to have the Japanese affinity for larger size, slight offset short irons. That was my only complaint on the original 300 forged as well

Chris can you enlighten us on SC25 vs SC30 vs 1025 vs 1018 etc. It was discussed before but that was ages ago. We need a refresher.

Edited by xxio

I'm not leaving the EPON J's anytime soon, the feel and build is just to solid IMO.

S25 vs S30 vs 1020 vs 1018

They are just different grades of forged steel with different carbon levels. The lower the number the softer it should feel. Worth to note that the vast majority of TSG'ers wont be able to tell the difference and that also feel even more so depends on the finish applied. S25 can feel softer than 1018 depending on that.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/japan/products/products.asp

Scroll down a little, and they are listed on the web site now.

I think they look sweet, but it is hard for me to put down my Z101/MR-23 (true love).

Chris when you are ready to sell those let me know, I might be ready for a change or a little mor open to a change. They have made me drool a little, well maybe a lot!!

I'm not leaving the EPON J's anytime soon, the feel and build is just to solid IMO.

S25 vs S30 vs 1020 vs 1018

They are just different grades of forged steel with different carbon levels. The lower the number the softer it should feel. Worth to note that the vast majority of TSG'ers wont be able to tell the difference and that also feel even more so depends on the finish applied. S25 can feel softer than 1018 depending on that.

So the "S__" vs the "10___" doesn't make a difference. Is it just a Japanese measurement versus a American measurement of the same value?

So the "S__" vs the "10___" doesn't make a difference. Is it just a Japanese measurement versus a American measurement of the same value?

Very good Answer found online by some Tom W.

Yes it would - in the normal naming convention for steels under the AISI

(American Iron and Steel Institute) edicts, the number 10 means carbon

steel while the 20, 30, 40 etc means the percentage of carbon in terms

of tenths of a percent - normally then you get 1020 carbon steel to be

0.20% Carbon, 103- is 0.30% and so forth. The nomenclature of S30C is

from Japan - wouldn't it be nice if we all used the same terms and spoke

the same language but we don't. Virtually all of the high tech

countries have their own nomenclature for materials and each one is

different - at least in carbon steels the Japanese use the 20, 30, 40

etc to denote the carbon percentage.

Lower the carbon content, softer the steel. A 1020 or S20C would really

be so soft that it would 'ding' very easily from ironheads clacking

against each other in the bag - that would be the primary reason that I

would not use it in a forged carbon steel iron design. 1030 or S30C

would be where I would draw the line - for the limited benefits of going

softer in the steel (tighter packing the forging dies is one good one

though for fewer voids in the microstructure of the steel in the

forging) you do have to watch the durability because most golfers cannot

see the reduction of voids inside the head, but they sure can see the

dings after a year of play. And in terms of feel - nada in my book for

that so no benefit to going softer for feel - only for the forging die

being able to compress the steel tighter for a more dense head.

its funny, my dads fluent in Japanese - I got him to read that page and he said there was no mention of limited edition?

Any idea why?

Limited to Japan. So most likely will not show up in the US market. Alot of TM items are first released in Japan then released in the US. This set will most likely never end up in the states due to the cost.

its funny, my dads fluent in Japanese - I got him to read that page and he said there was no mention of limited edition?

Any idea why?

We are 100% sure it is limited edition.

Very good Answer found online by some Tom W.

Yes it would - in the normal naming convention for steels under the AISI

(American Iron and Steel Institute) edicts, the number 10 means carbon

steel while the 20, 30, 40 etc means the percentage of carbon in terms

of tenths of a percent - normally then you get 1020 carbon steel to be

0.20% Carbon, 103- is 0.30% and so forth. The nomenclature of S30C is

from Japan - wouldn't it be nice if we all used the same terms and spoke

the same language but we don't. Virtually all of the high tech

countries have their own nomenclature for materials and each one is

different - at least in carbon steels the Japanese use the 20, 30, 40

etc to denote the carbon percentage.

Lower the carbon content, softer the steel. A 1020 or S20C would really

be so soft that it would 'ding' very easily from ironheads clacking

against each other in the bag - that would be the primary reason that I

would not use it in a forged carbon steel iron design. 1030 or S30C

would be where I would draw the line - for the limited benefits of going

softer in the steel (tighter packing the forging dies is one good one

though for fewer voids in the microstructure of the steel in the

forging) you do have to watch the durability because most golfers cannot

see the reduction of voids inside the head, but they sure can see the

dings after a year of play. And in terms of feel - nada in my book for

that so no benefit to going softer for feel - only for the forging die

being able to compress the steel tighter for a more dense head.

Interesting so when American irons say SC30, like let's say the I506s or the Cobra Forged SS is that an indication they are Japan in origin?

• 3 weeks later...

I will have to say that I agree with Chris's assessment of these irons. I've played four rounds with mine and am very satisfied. My set has the NSPRO 950's and they seem to suit me just fine. Interestingly enough, some of the best shots I've hit with these were #3 irons! They are just class to me.....not alot of gaudy lettering or other showy "stuff" that Taylor Made seems to think necessary for irons to sell in the US market.

• 2 weeks later...
I will have to say that I agree with Chris's assessment of these irons. I've played four rounds with mine and am very satisfied. My set has the NSPRO 950's and they seem to suit me just fine. Interestingly enough, some of the best shots I've hit with these were #3 irons! They are just class to me.....not alot of gaudy lettering or other showy "stuff" that Taylor Made seems to think necessary for irons to sell in the US market.

Lennie and Chris,

How do these stack up as far as size and offset against the newer Rac TP's?? Are these a easy to hit iron or a more demading?

How do the offset compare to other irons also??

I'm on the hunt for irons and its going to be these, Epon Type J

or the Srixon 600's..

• 1 month later...
Lennie and Chris,

How do these stack up as far as size and offset against the newer Rac TP's?? Are these a easy to hit iron or a more demading?

How do the offset compare to other irons also??

I'm on the hunt for irons and its going to be these, Epon Type J

or the Srixon 600's..

sorry for the late reply bud,

IMO these are a tad bigger than the RAC TP's and easier to hit. best of all they just feel more refined. Its TM's best iron ever. In regards to offset, its got less than most. i still say they are a better players club but at least they appeal to mid range handicaps also. Your looking at the right irons, dont forget BERES and and custom mizunos. My choice is the type J because of the feel and setup, I could be happy with any of these sets main thing is you get it custom built for you. we can do that when your ready.

here are more recent pics of the R7 forged:

Picture-085.jpg

Picture-084.jpg

Picture-078.jpg

Picture-079.jpg

Picture-073_001.jpg