Taylormade R7 Forged Limited Iron w/Pics!

I was just making a comment on the first post that you had on here. You took the club to a shop and they told you it was a fake. Now all the TM R7 irons that I see all look like this.

Ahhhh, Im sorry! Yes the guy thought it was a bad copy of the R7 U.S Spec Iron.

The R7 Forged is a mid size players CB, like the ONOFF, VIQ Forged, Srixon WR etc..

The 770 Forged is what i consider a true players cavity, its for sure less forgiving but in my opinion has better feel.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased some R7 forged with S200 from another forum after suggestions by friends. At first I felt they were light as I played X tours with S300. Added alittle lead tape and off we went. They are great irons. Remind me alot of the 300's except more forgiving. The sole grind is great, my biggest problem with the X tours. The glide right through the turf and do not dig. I had my best iron striking day on Sunday with them. The feel is very solid and soft, not as soft as some miuras or as clicky as some endos, in between. Want to try some other shafts but afraid to as I was swinging them so well. This is a great iron with good feel and foregiveness, playability, and great sole. Gonna hit them next to some 32's this weekend. I will be playing them for a while until something interesting comes up in the BST of course...LOL

I purchased some R7 forged with S200 from another forum after suggestions by friends. At first I felt they were light as I played X tours with S300. Added alittle lead tape and off we went. They are great irons. Remind me alot of the 300's except more forgiving. The sole grind is great, my biggest problem with the X tours. The glide right through the turf and do not dig. I had my best iron striking day on Sunday with them. The feel is very solid and soft, not as soft as some miuras or as clicky as some endos, in between. Want to try some other shafts but afraid to as I was swinging them so well. This is a great iron with good feel and foregiveness, playability, and great sole. Gonna hit them next to some 32's this weekend. I will be playing them for a while until something interesting comes up in the BST of course...LOL

Thats funny you say endo is clicky and miura is soft. I find the exact opposite. Its indeed true they are more forgiving than the 300's.

Feel has a lot to do with the sole design and loft as well. The better you make contact with the ball and turf the better impact will feel. People that de loft the club at impact usually have a harder time noticing good feel or the ball compression on the face.

Thats funny you say endo is clicky and miura is soft. I find the exact opposite. Its indeed true they are more forgiving than the 300's.

Feel has a lot to do with the sole design and loft as well. The better you make contact with the ball and turf the better impact will feel. People that de loft the club at impact usually have a harder time noticing good feel or the ball compression on the face.

I've had mine for quite a while. I can only echo the statements already made. Not only the best cavity back I've ever played but extra special since they are limited in supply and not available in the US.

MUch more pleasing to the eye to me and better feel than the Epon J's. To me, it was no contest. So they J's left and the r7's stayed.

I do have my backup sets too... so I'm set...

I play blades, TM TP MB 3dots, but if it's for money, it's the TM r7 forged. They really are that good.

Bill

I just saw the price tag on these in the pro shop, and I know it's only 5 thru PW but that's one hell of a deal on these. I am honestly amazed as to the price. I 100% thought that they'd be a lot more than that. Definitely need to work on the future wife to pick up those bad boys. How long will they be in the shop for???

I was just making a comment on the first post that you had on here. You took the club to a shop and they told you it was a fake. Now all the TM R7 irons that I see all look like this.

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I went to pick them up after getting regripped at my local Roger Dunne Golf shop. The guy looked at them, and shook his head. I went "what" ? He said "fake". I said "that's why you work in a repair shop." The really funny thing was when I was paying for them, this japanese player I know who happened to be in the shop for whatever reason spied them, and was going nuts over them right in front of the repair guy. The repair guy went "you know these clubs kenji" ? I just smiled and went on my way

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I went to pick them up after getting regripped at my local Roger Dunne Golf shop. The guy looked at them, and shook his head. I went "what" ? He said "fake". I said "that's why you work in a repair shop." The really funny thing was when I was paying for them, this japanese player I know who happened to be in the shop for whatever reason spied them, and was going nuts over them right in front of the repair guy. The repair guy went "you know these clubs kenji" ? I just smiled and went on my way

It's hilarious to see how much we know more about golf clubs than a lot of these repair guys and mom/pop places or even national chains. When I had mine reshafted the guy at my local edwin watts did not know what it was but by the time I was picking them up he had ordered himself his own set, I think I even told him to order from Tourspec. Another guy at a different place I had reshaft my driver with an Altus and he had no clue what kind of shaft that was. How can these guys be in business and not know all there is to know about all the different equipment out there? Both are good at what they do but I guess they just don't visit the forum boards like they should to keep their customers informed of all the latest and greatest. It would help them generate so much more business too. Since it is a hobby for me I'm totally into it but if it was a job I'm sure it would be different.

You really can't blame these guys. The equipment you're talking about are high end and from a different market. The local guys only really need to know domestic products. If you take for example, cars...you'd be surprise how much you don't know because there are so many different brands, rebranding, etc... overseas. I wouldn't let anyone work on your equipment unless they are already familiar with them. Another example would be watches...there are so many high end brand names you've never heard of, there's no advertising, it's just high end and exclusive.

You really can't blame these guys. The equipment you're talking about are high end and from a different market. The local guys only really need to know domestic products.

I beg to differ. I understand he really only needs to know domestic. Actually, all a repair guy really needs to know is what the customer wants done. However, for that yahoo to open his mouth unsolicited, and to say with such conviction "fake", when he has NO idea what he's talking about ... well, I can find some serious blame in that.

As an afterthought, that repair guy didn't piss me off, but I haven't gone back to him since then. Attitude like that might carry over into his work, and I'd rather give my money, and peace of mind to someone a bit more professional

Forum boards usually have people with the most interest in a particular topic from all around the world participating together and sharing info. Much of the time its a form of entertainment but I must say many of us learn from each other.

We are a small % of the core golfers and I ask all of you to kindly educate your local golf course/store's employee's if they step out of line. Some of them will not really care or speak over you but a few may see the light and thats when golf's second bug bites you... JDM Gear.

Anyway guys please support us and what we do, a good portion of the money we make is reinvested back into providing our members with info found no where else.

So After many months what is the mass verdict on these irons? Who took it out of play? Who put it into play? And most importantly how would you rank and review these?

I found some on ebay with S200 shafts , I hit a couple of balls and thought they were way to lite. You couldn't feel the head of the club that well through the impact of the ball. So I replaced the S200 with Tour Concepts, brought the swing weight up to D5 which some of you will say is way to heavy, but what feel you get with a heavy club head if you have a smooth swing tempo from start to finish. The club head does all the work and I have enjoyed watching the ball go to where it is ment to go on the green.

I have played Z101 & MR23 blades for the last 3 yrs, and I can say they will be going up for sale soon. Over the winter I have changed everything in my bag but my wedges & putter with no regrets.

The R7 are by far a really nice set of forged irons made by a great company Taylor Made.

Same here, i have sold every set of irons i have except my DW macgregor grinds but those wont be sold anytime soon......after hitting the r7 forged, i was set...and the epon driver did the same for my driver collection and the gfield 3 wood emptied out all of my other 3 woods !!!!

i find the irons to be very soft but offers tremendous feedback, forgiving as well as workable ( a rare combo ) and very satisfying to play !!

BILLS100, where in Orange County are you ? It's in my contract that I am the only Orange County guy allowed to have these irons ! Alright, we will have to arm wrestle for playing rights :atsg_smilie_roll:

p.s. I live in Laguna Hills, and mainly play at Aliso Viejo, Tijeras Creek, and Arroyo Trabuco

p.s.s. Beaglehound, I had mine extended 1", and my swing weight is D8. I L O V E the heavy feel. When I hit standard D2/D3 irons they feel so .... I guess wimpy comes to mind

Edited by enickma

• 2 weeks later...
where can i find info on the "tour" version. heard there was no difference.

You can find them some places where they are being sold as tour issue..BUT__

There is no difference at all--same forging--same cog-same offset -same everything.

The ones with no serials came in with no hosel weights so the club makers could set them up for the swingweight desired--thats it.....

I've had 3 sets of the Japan Limited and 3 sets of the "so called" tour issue--and there is no difference at all..

If you have a set of the Japan Limited---you have the exact iron that is being sold as tour issue

You can find them some places where they are being sold as tour issue..BUT__

There is no difference at all--same forging--same cog-same offset -same everything.

The ones with no serials came in with no hosel weights so the club makers could set them up for the swingweight desired--thats it.....

I've had 3 sets of the Japan Limited and 3 sets of the "so called" tour issue--and there is no difference at all..

If you have a set of the Japan Limited---you have the exact iron that is being sold as tour issue

Great post. Madball is a TRUE iron ho and without a doubt knows of what he speaks. The more ppl. that learn the truth the better off the entire online golf community will be. Thanks 4 keepin' it real bro' :tsg_smiley_question:

• 3 weeks later...
Forum boards usually have people with the most interest in a particular topic from all around the world participating together and sharing info. Much of the time its a form of entertainment but I must say many of us learn from each other.

We are a small % of the core golfers and I ask all of you to kindly educate your local golf course/store's employee's if they step out of line. Some of them will not really care or speak over you but a few may see the light and thats when golf's second bug bites you... JDM Gear.

Anyway guys please support us and what we do, a good portion of the money we make is reinvested back into providing our members with info found no where else.

Okay, I may be the first to hang up the Forged irons. I have mp-32's on the way and possibly a set of mp 67's. I tried them out at a golfsmith and loved the 67's. I found the 32's used but in like new condition for a great price. I used to own the 32's but now i think my swing has gotten tight enough to try them again. The 67's just feel awesome, the weight is more behind the ball and you can tell the ball is going forward and not up. who knows maybe once I have all three the R7's may stay in. I finally have a full bag of TM stuff and now I want to switch it up, AHHHHHHHH

I've noticed something strange with the R7 Forged irons. The hosel depth is 1.375 inches but the shaft insertion depth is actually 1.05 inches. The extra space seems to be reserved for swingweighting. Does anyone know about this? The material they used seems to be glue or hot melt?

• 4 weeks later...

Can any one else chime in on the above post and also did anyone find out where the R7 forged irons are forged?

Rob

Hello...

I think now I read enough threads to decide that the r7 forged are the right clubs for me! :D

I hope nobody oversee my WTB-Thread: http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/index.php?showtopic=24694

Thanks everyone,

marc

• 4 weeks later...

Hello...

I got my set today and went immediately on the range! The are incredible... Can't be any better...

Greets

Marc

Has anyone reshafted their R7's with Black Gold shafts and if so what kind of swing weights did you get? Did you have to add weights?

Has anyone reshafted their R7's with Black Gold shafts and if so what kind of swing weights did you get? Did you have to add weights?

Hello...

I bought my R7 Forged with Black Gold Stiff shafts... But I really don't know the Swing weight!