Taylormade R7 Forged Limited Iron w/Pics!

I had these for awhile testing them out...and at first I thought they just were OK, I was testing them out compared to Lehmans, i-404's, Lt2 tours.....however they had the stock nippon 950 Reg shafts in them(which were surpising usable)...however once I put a set of PX's into these...OMG!!!...to think I nearly sold them... these have Slayed my Gamers Lehmans, which I have had in the bag for nearly 2 years!!!! They are every bit as soft and workable as the Lehmans, but are as forgiving as the LT2's(I actually thought the Lehmans were pretty darn forgiving too)!!! Stunning...little higher ball flight than the Lehmans...but the long irons are sooo easy to hit, hit high and drop soft-- a thing of beauty!!...All you Irons Ho''s I strong suggest you give these a go..I really can't see any real drawbacks to these...except they do seem soo soft they are a bit more likely to ding up and chatter.!!

BTW- I have heard of some "Tour" versions...but I think its all BS...they have serial# too!

Chris will take care you, and shaft it up with your flavor too!

One last thing- TM is missing the boat by not bringing these to market in the US! Easily a Classic Iron that will test the time!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had these for awhile testing them out...and at first I thought they just were OK, I was testing them out compared to Lehmans, i-404's, Lt2 tours.....however they had the stock nippon 950 Reg shafts in them(which were surpising usable)...however once I put a set of PX's into these...OMG!!!...to think I nearly sold them... these have Slayed my Gamers Lehmans, which I have had in the bag for nearly 2 years!!!! They are every bit as soft and workable as the Lehmans, but are as forgiving as the LT2's(I actually thought the Lehmans were pretty darn forgiving too)!!! Stunning...little higher ball flight than the Lehmans...but the long irons are sooo easy to hit, hit high and drop soft-- a thing of beauty!!...All you Irons Ho''s I strong suggest you give these a go..I really can't see any real drawbacks to these...except they do seem soo soft they are a bit more likely to ding up and chatter.!!

BTW- I have heard of some "Tour" versions...but I think its all BS...they have serial# too!

One last thing- TM is missing the boat by not bringing these to market in the US! Easily a Classic Iron that will test the time!!

Josh--I told you you would love them!!!!!!!!!!

What is the thought with reverse progressive offset for these clubs. That is, larger offset starts with the PW and then gets smaller as the iron increases. All the typical American clubs do the reverse, offset more as the iron increases. I'm thinking the larger offset in the short irons allow you to take a smoother and slower swing but maintain the distance. I bought these out of the blue and didn't realize the offset scheme so now I need to know what I am to expect.

That sort of offset is mainstreme japanese style in cavity backs, its supposed to aid with accuracy but of course its personal taste and so minimal i doubt you will see a difference.

I have some crazy looking modified R7 irons to show you guys later in the week.

That sort of offset is mainstreme japanese style in cavity backs, its supposed to aid with accuracy but of course its personal taste and so minimal i doubt you will see a difference.

I have some crazy looking modified R7 irons to show you guys later in the week.

I found out some where else that in Japan they measure from face to CL of shaft whereas in US it is from leading edge of shaft to leading edge of face. Therefore the numbers are different. Does this make sense?? I hope so and hope that is the reason for their measurements versus what we normally see here in the US.

I found out some where else that in Japan they measure from face to CL of shaft whereas in US it is from leading edge of shaft to leading edge of face. Therefore the numbers are different. Does this make sense?? I hope so and hope that is the reason for their measurements versus what we normally see here in the US.

You are way over thinking!!! You won't even notice it IMO....I have had many Jap issue irons before and these are as mainsteam 'US" as I have ever seen... :tsg_smilie_wink:

thanks, it just that when you drop $1400 on a set of clubs that you haven't seen or even read enough about, your mind starts to wander!!! :tsg_smiley_crazy: I know, read as much as possible next time before I buy :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

oh dear......if they're all that I had better get a set.........and I love my Miura 300's (I agree are forgiving) Do we know how the specs compare? sole thickness/bounce/top line etc? Also, are you saying the shaft type and or flex made the difference in your case, I am considering the Nippon vs my standard TT TC shaft.

Edited by TMfreak

I couldn't agree more!

I've been using my Miura 300's on and off again this year and these new R7 forged look sooooo similar.

The one improvement the 300's needed was an update on the sole. The R7's have just a hint of killed leading edge and some trailing edge relief. The same amount of bounce just a little camber. Perfect in my mind. I feel like I've got a really good setup. Ultra forgiving 3 and 4 irons and super soft almost blade like in appearance 5-Pw.

I'm loving the NS Pro shafts, springy, lively, higher trajectory but not too high.

Cheers

Ice

I couldn't agree more!

I've been using my Miura 300's on and off again this year and these new R7 forged look sooooo similar.

The one improvement the 300's needed was an update on the sole. The R7's have just a hint of killed leading edge and some trailing edge relief. The same amount of bounce just a little camber. Perfect in my mind. I feel like I've got a really good setup. Ultra forgiving 3 and 4 irons and super soft almost blade like in appearance 5-Pw.

I'm loving the NS Pro shafts, springy, lively, higher trajectory but not too high.

Cheers

Ice

That is a very good discription of these irons :tsg_smiley_yes:

I have some on order through TSG...can't wait. I went with the Nippon1150 shafts....will post my review later.

BTW...very impressed with the time Chris spent with me on the phone to go through my options.

I just got an email saying mine has finally shipped. I hope so, I hope the hype is true. I couldn't wait anymore so I went ahead and bought the R7 tp US version. Traded in the Mizuno 32's. So far the R7 TP is good but much bigger in head size than the 32's. I hope the Forged are a little smaller. What is the forgiveness between the 32's and the forged? I hope there is a significant increase in forgiveness since it is a cavity back.

WOO HOOO they are here, beautiful and shinny. Can't wait to hit em.

I have some on order through TSG...can't wait. I went with the Nippon1150 shafts....will post my review later.

BTW...very impressed with the time Chris spent with me on the phone to go through my options.

You won't be dissapointed!! :tsg_smilie_cool:

Sweetest feeling irons I have hit to date. There probably is no reason for me to keep the R7tp's around any more. The Forged have a more solid sound and feel to them. I took them out on the range and my mis**ts seemed to go nicely, slight loss in yardage of course that is expected but they stayed pretty straight. I love these clubs and thank Jaques at Tour Spec for dealing with my constant emails and keeping me from cancelling on my order. WHat to do with the R7 TP's??? :tsg_smilie_whistle:

• 3 months later...

So After many months what is the mass verdict on these irons? Who took it out of play? Who put it into play? And most importantly how would you rank and review these?

I absolutley love love love them. I've lurked here for a long time, but I think I scored on ebay the first set you ever sold Chris. I think you used my set with X-100 shafts for the pictures on this thread, because when I received them, all of them were plastic wrapped except for the 5 iron and PW. I might have been the first one in the States with them even! I hope they hold up forever, because they are so sweet feeling. All the rage in the states regarding TM are the r7 tp, and the r7 forged just kill them .... absolutley bury them. A few golfing buddies have the r7tp, and they are nice clubs I guess ... but they just feel so dead and lifeless compared to the r7 forged. Very selfish thought, but I hope they never release them outside Japan ... or at least in the states. It's so nice to know I have a special iron that performs unbelievably well, and that not only isn't in everyone's bag, but isn't in anyones bag at any course I ever go to except mine. I'm so happy I stumbed across this site :tsg_smilie_blackeye:

excuse me as I clean myself up....those babies are unreal.

I've only been here a couple days, but every time I come on here the things I see put ANY other site to shame.

Just amazing...kudos to you guys for creating such an amazing site

Awesome clubs, I'm not thinking of every switching these out.......unless they come out with a black version :tsg_smilie_blackeye: I just bought my set from Tourspec, but it came with the NSPro's since they were out of stock of the x100's. I switched them out and put x100's in and my game has just gotten better. I bought the 2 iron and now it is my favorite club on short and tight par 4's or for second shots on par 5's. The feel is beyond the R7Tp's which I also had for about a month before deciding to stick with the forged. Forgiving as much as any other club I have tried and as long as the longest clubs I've tried. A truly beautiful set of clubs that I just do not understand why they don't release it in the US but for me it is good that they don't. I like the looks on the cart guy's face when he sees these and dosen't know what to make of it.

Chris since you were told that you have a fake, can I have them cheap? LOL!!! :tsg_smilie_blackeye: I'll even trade my RAC MBs for it, and those are real.

Nobody talks much about the TC-770 from fourteens. Why is that? Are they not that good compared to others?

Nobody talks much about the TC-770 from fourteens. Why is that? Are they not that good compared to others?

You need to read up a bit more in the forums, its one of the most popular cavity backs around here.

Chris since you were told that you have a fake, can I have them cheap? LOL!!! :tsg_smilie_blackeye: I'll even trade my RAC MBs for it, and those are real.

What Fake are you talking about?

I was just making a comment on the first post that you had on here. You took the club to a shop and they told you it was a fake. Now all the TM R7 irons that I see all look like this.