EPON 460 any reviews?

Goshinboku

looking for some reviews on the EPON 460? thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just posted this on another thread. I hope this helps.

I've now had my new Epon Technity 460 10.5 driver with the Axiv 6465L shaft out for several sessions on the range and several rounds.

Verdict? This club is absolutely outstanding.

I heartily concur with the others who said exactly the same thing about this head/shaft combination.

The head is attractive, understated, and elegant appearing. The head feels extremely solid, and the sound is a relatively low pitched "thwock"; not high pitched or a tinny sound. The feel is tremendous; very smooth with very little vibration. Even shots hit off the sweet spot feel quite solid. Shots on the sweet spot feel absolutely wonderful. The forgiveness with this head/shaft combination is also outstanding. It takes a pretty bad swing to be worse than the first cut of rough. I'm getting more fairways PLUS more distance than anything I've hit in the past. My previous driver, the G Field GFT 1W 10.5 was the current reigning champ for forgiveness and accuracy until the Epon came on the scene.

I'm a low hitter so I got the maximum available loft on this club and went with a low kickpoint shaft. I get a nice mid line drive trajectory with LOTS of rollout. The Axiv kicks well without making me force the issue. There's plenty of kick, but plenty of control. I'm about a 95-98 mph smooth tempo swinger, not a hitter. This shaft is fantastic for me. I probably could have gone a half flex softer to an R flex and gotten a bit more distance, but I might have lost a bit of control in the process. This combination is every bit as straight and accurate for me as my old TM R510 TP with a 757, but hits a lot farther because of better carry to accompany the better than average rollout. The Axiv has better kick than the 757, IMHO, without giving up anything in the control department. (I still am a big fan of the 757's, and play them in my 3 and 5 woods).

So if you are looking for outstanding feel, forgiveness, and excellent distance, and have some disposable income to send Chris, I'd heartily recommend the Epon Technity 460. That particular Axiv obviously might not be for you, but the Axiv has such a wide variety of weights, flexes, and kickpoints that if one wanted that shaft there would certainly be one right for just about anyone.

Thanks again, Chris. You've never let me down or given me less than stellar advice.

The 460 has been in the bag for about 2 months now, I have no plans on changing to anything newer because this is maybe the only driver in 2 years that has satisfied all of my needs.

1. Its very forgiving with a very deep face.

2. The feel at impact, is IMO better than the 510DF and just shocking that a head this big can feel so good.

3. Distance is on par if not longer than anything else i have hit, again it depends on the shaft, Im hitting DREV as i didnt want to mess around with anything else if this is working so well.

thanks guys for the reviews, just what i was looking for.

now Chris, reading what you have said they will do custom face angles etc.?

would they do a 10.5* head 2* open?

thanks guys for the reviews, just what i was looking for.

now Chris, reading what you have said they will do custom face angles etc.?

would they do a 10.5* head 2* open?

2* Open needs to be ordered and it takes 35 days. For two degrees it has to be built not hand picked.

What is available by custom order? Lie, length, open/closed, etc.

What is available by custom order? Lie, length, open/closed, etc.

Drop me a PM tell me what you need and i will give you an about date.

Guys, i've just played a round with plus1 and hit his Epon 460. I must say from the outset this is the nicest looking driver I've ever looked down on. Coupled with the exquiste feel off the face makes this the most complete driver I've ever used.

Forgiveness and distance are ok, but like any other driver, it all depends on the shaft you couple the head with. His Axiv is an inspired choice....

once again, i find myself hankering for plus1's bag..... don't think i'll be getting this one for a long time.....

Guys, i've just played a round with plus1 and hit his Epon 460. I must say from the outset this is the nicest looking driver I've ever looked down on. Coupled with the exquiste feel off the face makes this the most complete driver I've ever used.

Forgiveness and distance are ok, but like any other driver, it all depends on the shaft you couple the head with. His Axiv is an inspired choice....

once again, i find myself hankering for plus1's bag..... don't think i'll be getting this one for a long time.....

Thats great to hear, Plus1 has tried so many of the new import, tour and domestic clubs i really think he has a good concept on feel, performance, and adjustments.

Im glad you liked the driver, its expensive but well worth it. If you can find a shaft that suites you then your golden.

my take on the 460 epon.....

looks

lookswise this is a 510 tp on steroids. its really really pleasing to the eyes and sits soooo square behind the ball. However the 460 cc are hidden well and looks to me much more like a 425, but the extra ccs are due to the depth of the club

feel

by far the most SOLID 460 head i have ever hit. the face is pure and actually feels very soft. there is no ting or ping of the head that 99.9% of the 460 heads nowadays produce. on poorly struck shots this is still soft, not harsh at all and on centre hits is like butter.

distance

distance this club was average, i cannot in any way complain. we played today on a waterlogged course which meant that the distance was all carry! with the axiv v spec i was more than satisfied with the carry.....cant wait to take it to a links and see how she rools! :tsg_smiley_yes:

accuracy

the performance out of this driver was the real seeler for me. although the feel is unique and uncanny of a 460cc head the performance was awesome! i mean the v spec axiv and epon head combo is a fairway finder! i simple cannot hit the left side of the fairway with this thing, nor am i hitting the right handside of the fairway! its a shell straight - high - low back spin - and the wind has minimal effect on it. and yes i am serious......

ps......when i took the club out of the package and swung it, i was worried i order a shaft that was toooooo weak.....however although the shaft feels weak, and kicks plenty through the impact, it actual does play to its estimated flex. it is such a stable shaft that holds the hook and helps guide the shot striaght.

all i can say chris is thanks for gear!

my take on the 460 epon.....

distance

distance this club was average, i cannot in any way complain. we played today on a waterlogged course which meant that the distance was all carry! with the axiv v spec i was more than satisfied with the carry.....cant wait to take it to a links and see how she rools! :tsg_smiley_yes:

The rollout has been well above average, in my experience. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You guys are just killing me with all this EPON talk!! I just got the ERC III a few months back and although its working out well with the Axiv-V, all this sensational talk about the EPON has my "HO" instincts tingling. I know I will not change my irons, I love those, I must somehow resist the urge to pull the trigger on the EPON. Although I don't know how many more positive reviews I can take until the "HO" senses are overwhelmed and Chris gets an order for an EPON 460. :tsg_smilie_money3:

For me its my gamer and all-around the best driver I've ever hit-- I have tour issues in all the major brands that have been put in the closet. Love the Technity 460 so much, I bought a second one used, with an Axiv V which fits me even better and makes the flight more boring.

Edited by siteseer2

• 3 months later...
Just ordered the Epon 460 in 9.5* with Axiv V 7068 from Chris.

great call Henry - i doubt you will be disappointed! Make sure u hit it on the course and not just the range - this way you will see the benefit of the low spin and class roll out! :tsg_smiley_yes:

Can't wait to get it. Saw a great picture of the Epon on Golfwrx...nice square face.

yeah yeah it really does sit very square. The feel is different from any 460 you have hit before and i gaurentee that you will grow to love it! i have the v spec 7072 in mine and it rocks!

Using this the ball is gonna hit those firm dubai fairways and run like Mad!!!!

yeah yeah it really does sit very square. The feel is different from any 460 you have hit before and i gaurentee that you will grow to love it! i have the v spec 7072 in mine and it rocks!

Using this the ball is gonna hit those firm dubai fairways and run like Mad!!!!

need something with a good roll out. Fairways are soft here and my current set up with the FT-3 Tour at 10.5*...I don't get any roll. The ball ends up a couple of feet from where it lands for the most part.

need something with a good roll out. Fairways are soft here and my current set up with the FT-3 Tour at 10.5*...I don't get any roll. The ball ends up a couple of feet from where it lands for the most part.

me thinks you will be very :tsg_smilie_smile: ! lets hope it yields the same results for you as it has for me!

I get good carry with mine, but then the rollout begins and adds a lot of distance. I have concluded that it must be a relatively low spinning head/shaft combination to get as much rollout as I get. (I have the Axiv 6564L shaft on a 10.5 head; about a 95-98 mph swingspeed. )

What kind of carry and total distance are you getting with that combo?

My Epon 460 10.5* will be shafted up with a 6060L Wednesday and I can't wait to hit it.

What kind of carry and total distance are you getting with that combo?

My Epon 460 10.5* will be shafted up with a 6060L Wednesday and I can't wait to hit it.

Just exactly where you plan to hit or play in this miserable weather (unless you are going to Cuba or some warm distinations)? :tsg_smilie_sad:

Just exactly where you plan to hit or play in this miserable weather (unless you are going to Cuba or some warm distinations)? :tsg_smilie_sad:

Indoors my friend, indoors. :tsg_smilie_cool:

The Epon Technicity 460 continues to be the strongest driver I've used to date. I just love this club. I have the Axiv V8076 in mine. I feel for those of you living in places where the weather limits your golf.

Golfnut100 you are going to love this club. :tsg_smiley_yes: