EPON 460 any reviews?

Goshinboku

As good as the Epon 460 is, I wonder how many of these rave reviews are down to the Axiv V shaft? I have the V 6070 shaft in my PRGR T3 and it is the most impressive driver that I have ever hit, my experiences are very similar to those of plus1 and blader-X, it is just so easy to find fairways with the Axiv V. When I first got this club I thought that I would not be able to shape the ball at all, it just seemed to go straight, now after a few more rounds I am learning to use it and it just continues to be more and more impressive.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting for my Epon 460 with a Drev shaft.

I will give you my impressions (if you like me to ) about this combo when it arrives so you can decide if the Axiv V is responsible for all that fairways or maybe not...

As good as the Epon 460 is, I wonder how many of these rave reviews are down to the Axiv V shaft? I have the V 6070 shaft in my PRGR T3 and it is the most impressive driver that I have ever hit, my experiences are very similar to those of plus1 and blader-X, it is just so easy to find fairways with the Axiv V. When I first got this club I thought that I would not be able to shape the ball at all, it just seemed to go straight, now after a few more rounds I am learning to use it and it just continues to be more and more impressive.

I have to 100% agree that the v spec is probably the best shaft i have ever used. I have hit A LOT of shafts in the last number of years and for my swing characteristics and set up the Axiv V spec certainly fits the bill.

It is actually sooo impressive that i want to order all my new drivers with it in! However chris keeps the HO alive in me and encourages me to experiment - all for your benefit lol - so that i can tell you guys my honest opinion. - That opinion is still that the V spec is yet to be equalled as an all round gamer.

On the flip side of the coin, i also feel that the Epon is to be equalled - I think it is a truely fantastic club! In the last 6 months i have owned 3 Epons, a PRGR T3, Tourstage VIQ 1, Tourstage 435, Gauge design Proto, Nike SQ tour Issue, Tour edge exotics, Taylormade 425 tour, FT3 Tour Issue.....and the list goes on - and my findings are still that the Epon WITH ANY shaft feels and produces the most consistent results.

I have it with a DREV, a normal Axiv and a V spec and all are fairway finders!

If you think the v spec plays well in the T3 - get an epon head and you will be laughing!

My next test is the new VIQ2 which i will put up against the epon - results will follow.

I just knew that you would say that, plus1! My original intention was to buy an Epon 460 with the Axiv V but my clubmaker offered me the T3 Axiv V ( a cancelled order!) at a price I couldn't refuse! I await your review of the Epon Vs Tourstage ViQ, any chance that you will also be testing the X-Drive (430, 460, P's)?

Please delay your reports until early spring when I might just be able to afford more purchases!

Nick

Plus1, I know what you mean about arrows -lol- whats your opinion of the M3 Hit, I am now looking for a fairway wood, only stipulation is that it must have an Axiv shaft in it - TourSpecGirl has already given me the shaft models that I need so it is just a question of finding a decent head to match the shaft!

Nick

Believe it or not the m3 hit is FOR ME is the king of the castle! :tsg_smiley_yes: !

My long time love was a little rocket ship known as the mizuno jpx - the ball came off this face and still does faster than anything i have ever ever hit......it literally flies. However its one weakeness is that the face is very very shallow meaning i hit it very high.

Hence why i tried the PRGR M3Hit - this club is equally as forgiving, equally as long and is so much more workable, i really cant imagine a 3 wood providing any better performance. It is my new saviour - and the 3 wood is usually a club i find hard to hit!

I've hit two different drivers with the Axiv V-spec. One the Callaway ERC III and two, the Epon. The Epon blew away the Callaway on all accounts easily. I did a review of that comparison if interested on this site previously.

The Axiv-V is indeed a great shaft and the Epon an even better head. Combined, its pretty damn sweet.

Ok guys, just received my Epon 460 with Axiv 6064M shaft!! I got it at 44.75 length with square face. Hopefully will be able to hit a few shots tomorrow. I will give my initial impressions after that!!

Edited by Henry

Just got my Epon 460 Ozik Code 6 yesterday

Played 18 holes yesterday and today OH MAMA!!!!!!!

What an explosion at impact!!! Someone here already

posted the Epon is like a TM 510DF on steriods....thats exactly right!!

Suprisingly and shockingly longer than all the tour issue driver/shaft combo

I ever used

Another thing I did was discuss the flex with Chris several times before I bought..

After reading Chris's reports about most golfers play a driver thats too stiff,

we decided to try the Code 6 in firm flex...leaving the length at 45.25 so I had room to tip it stiffer if need be.

I've played stiff and X all my life but was willing to take a chance with the firm flex although fully expecting it to be too soft.. ITS NOT

This driver is staying as is...period! The comination of this head..with this shaft.. and this flex is easily longer and with total control --with an easier swing --than I've ever hit.

The ball just wants to carry and not come down...then hits the ground running

Edited by madball

Just got my Epon 460 Ozik Code 6 yesterday

Played 18 holes yesterday and today OH MAMA!!!!!!!

What an explosion at impact!!! Someone here already

posted the Epon is like a TM 510DF on steriods....thats exactly right!!

Suprisingly and shockingly longer than all the tour issue driver/shaft combo

I ever used

Another thing I did was discuss the flex with Chris several times before I bought..

After reading Chris's reports about most golfers play a driver thats too stiff,

we decided to try the Code 6 in firm flex...leaving the length at 45.25 so I had room to tip it stiffer if need be.

I've played stiff and X all my life but was willing to take a chance with the firm flex although fully expecting it to be too soft.. ITS NOT

This driver is staying as is...period! The comination of this head..with this shaft.. and this flex is easily longer and with total control --with an easier swing --than I've ever hit.

The ball just wants to carry and not come down...then hits the ground running

Great feedback madball!! Like I said that code 6 is a sweet shaft. Now together with the Epon you have you gamer! :tsg_smilie_cool:

Was able to hit about 6 shots with my Epon 460 with Axiv 6064M shaft in about 40 degree weather today and without any practice. I certainly cannot give a review but I did notice a considerable difference with the shaft. First, it certainly felt different than anything else I ever hit. Second, the ball did penetrate (lower ball flight compared to my stock Tourstage X Drive 405 SR shaft) and would have had substantially more roll but for the wet conditions. Finally, the ball flight felt like it wanted to stay straight. I did notice I was hitting the ball more on the lower center of the club face than on the upper side that I normally do. I do not know if it was my swing or lack thereof in the morning or if I have to just tee it up higher since this is the first 460 head I have hit. I am anxious for some warmer days ahead but welcome any comments from ones that tried this club for the first time.

I like deep faced 460cc driver heads.

Which of the two - the Tourstage X drive 460 and Epon 460 Technity - has the deepest face ?

Great feedback madball!! Like I said that code 6 is a sweet shaft. Now together with the Epon you have you gamer! :tsg_smilie_cool:

Just one more thing to add.. This Epon 460 9.5 Ozik Code 6 is so freaky long

that my 4some is blaming me for using a non-conforming driver..

Thats the best compliment I've heard about the Epon / Ozik :tsg_smilie_cool:

Its THAT LONG!! I can't wait to play in the summer when the ground firms

up and warmer temps

Edited by madball

When using a deep face club tee height is critical imo.

I just measured the XD 460 vs the EPON with a digital caliper

EPON: 56.5 mm

X-Drive: 56.7 mm

The Epons hitting area looks bigger.

They are both made by ENDO but the Epon feels better at impact imo.

Just one more thing to add.. This Epon 460 9.5 Ozik Code 6 is so freaky long

that my 4some is blaming me for using a non-conforming driver..

Thats the best compliment I've heard about the Epon / Ozik :tsg_smilie_cool:

Its THAT LONG!! I can't wait to play in the summer when the ground firms

up and warmer temps

I agree about the length. I have the Epon/Axiv-V. I hitting huge tee shots 260-265 carry, easily. I actually hit one 360 total yards (wind aided) a couple rounds back. Had 9-iron into the par-5. I've never hit that far no matter the conditions. Next hole hit it 335. I can't say enough good things about this club and now that I've been playing it for some time it just keeps getting better.

Chris, were are those Epon smiley flags?? :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

:atsg_logo_anim:

When using a deep face club tee height is critical imo.

I just measured the XD 460 vs the EPON with a digital caliper

EPON: 56.5 mm

X-Drive: 56.7 mm

The Epons hitting area looks bigger.

They are both made by ENDO but the Epon feels better at impact imo.

Thanks Chris :tsg_smilie_smile:

I agree about the length. I have the Epon/Axiv-V. I hitting huge tee shots 260-265 carry, easily. I actually hit one 360 total yards (wind aided) a couple rounds back. Had 9-iron into the par-5. I've never hit that far no matter the conditions. Next hole hit it 335. I can't say enough good things about this club and now that I've been playing it for some time it just keeps getting better.

Chris, were are those Epon smiley flags?? :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

:atsg_logo_anim:

Is it time for more smileys?

I love this driver also, anyone that doesnt has either the wrong shaft or a different taste in what feels good, which is all good.

I will say that Tourstage is really showing gold this year, I have purchased over 10 different drivers since picking up the epon both JDM and U.S domestic none of them have come close. The only two that got near were the ViQ Deep and the Fourteen JC606, im hoping to test out the MP craft and Tourstage X-Drive 460 this weekend.

I give props to Tourstage and Mizuno with the long metal hosel on their woods i can bend the face angles with less stress.

now who is ready to see the epon utility woods? rumor has it a high MOI driver is on the horizon for mid 2007 also and somthing for the ladies called " LEPON " :tsg_smilie_confused:

I love this driver also, anyone that doesnt has either the wrong shaft or a different taste in what feels good, which is all good.

I will say that Tourstage is really showing gold this year, I have purchased over 10 different drivers since picking up the epon both JDM and U.S domestic none of them have come close. The only two that got near were the ViQ Deep and the Fourteen JC606, im hoping to test out the MP craft and Tourstage X-Drive 460 this weekend.

I give props to Tourstage and Mizuno with the long metal hosel on their woods i can bend the face angles with less stress.

now who is ready to see the epon utility woods? rumor has it a high MOI driver is on the horizon for mid 2007 also and somthing for the ladies called " LEPON " :tsg_smilie_confused:

did i mention to u chris i needed a utility? lol

Looking very MUCH forward to your review of the Tourstage X drive 460 especially in comparison to the Epon 460 :tsg_smiley_yes:

Who on the Asian and Japanese tour uses the Epon 460 driver and Epon irons BTW :tsg_smilie_confused:

Looking very MUCH forward to your review of the Tourstage X drive 460 especially in comparison to the Epon 460 :tsg_smiley_yes:

Who on the Asian and Japanese tour uses the Epon 460 driver and Epon irons BTW :tsg_smilie_confused:

No one does, the brand is pretty much new and is still in its infant stages when compared to whats on tour. Imagine if they can do this now what they will be up to in the future.

i want a utility too please! :tsg_smilie_smile:

Lets see, I have two TRC utility clubs by Sonartec, a G-Field utility . . .

Oh Yea!! I could use a utility by Epon :tsg_smiley_laughatyou: :tsg_smilie_money3:

I have had a further opportunity to play with my Epon/Axiv combo driver and can honestly state the following:

Impact with head: extremely smooth feeling, no vibration at all even on

miss hits. Sound at impact is very different and very pleasing.

Shaft: Best shaft on the market. It does have a kick to it and my ball flight is lower with more roll.

Distance: I do notice a about a 5 yard increase compared with my Tourstage X-405 with probably more distance that will be noticed in the summer months for increased roll that will result.

Conclusion: It is a very good driver shaft combo and would recommend it to anyone interested in this driver.

Now, if I could only compare it to the x-460 or the new Callaway Hyper Driver coming out!! Hmm!!