Let's talk grips

Blader-X

This is a topic of interest for me of late. I had been a loyal Lamkin Sof-cord guy for years and years. Still love cord but have experimenting of late. I have the original TourStage cord on my X-blades but they will need to be replaced in a few months and they are quite expensive to get. I like them very much because not only do the have cord, but also small indentations; tiny, little "TS"'s all up and down the grip. This also helps to enhance the feel.

I don't Winn grips simply because I haven't found one which enhances my grip. There are others out there which I haven't been impressed with. I'm just too picky.

I've been playing around with Golf Pride's Dual Durameter cord and New Decade cord. Both seem to have the firm feel I'm looking for. I give the edge to the New Decade. Over time it seems the Dual Durameter "softens" a little.

For myself, cord is must and not because my hands sweat. It all comes down to "feel" for me and I just like the cord.

Would love others to chime in on this topic and give your input.

i love all kind of grips! i use both non-cord and cord grips. i tend to like the non cords on my woods. right now i am using a orange iomic grip for my driver, and for my 3 wood and hybrid is golf pride tour velvet. my irons have the stock cord technity grips, and i like them too much and wont change them till i have to. my wedges are split, one is a gauge design cord and the other is a gp tour velvet. and i also like the stock g-field putter grip and will not change that either, unless its to another color iomic putter grip. i used to have all winn grips and all lamkin grips before. i ditched winn because i sometimes unexpectedly have to play in wet conditions and the winns just all out sucks when they get even a little wet! i used to really like the lamkin dual denisty (green grips) alot, but didnt care for the grass green color. and yes color does matter!

I am using the Dual Durometer cords on my irons and the New Decade on my woods. I've had the Dual Durometer cords for about 3 months and don't notice them softening. I have the Dual Durometer (non-cord) on my backup set and I played with them last week for the first time in a couple of months and they felt far too soft!

Thanks,

Bert-B

Lamkin crossline. Shanghai is extremely hot and humid for at least 5 months of the year but the crossline is super tacky after a quick rub with a dry towel. They also seem to have a good compromise between firmness and feel.

Have yet to try the crossline cord which I suspect might be even better.

The Grip Master leather wrapped slip-ons. These are simply the best grips I've ever played in 30+ years of golf. AND the wetter they get (rain or sweat) the tacky they are. My grip pressure has gotten much softer and handicap less since first trying! Check them out....

Thanks for the responses. I know about that humitdy Milo is talking about in Asia. Played in Japan last summer with relatives and I've never encountered humidity like that. I sweated though a brand new glove each time out. Its just incredible.

Alpha_pro, stock cord Technicty grips, I hope they come on the driver!

yes the technity cord grip comes as stand on all of the epon range. and can i just say that it is a super cord grip - it is not harsh at all and does not rip your hands to pieces!

Grips are something i change my mind on ALOT! i love the ribbed tour velvets, i also love the red colour code cord ping grips......these are super thin which means i can rip my hands through impact!

Also for a while i order a stack load of iomic grips of chris......and i actually had a different colour grip on each iron lol - how sad am i!

anyways i found that the iomic grips were a great buy, yes very expensive however they looked super cool, drew peoples attention and yes they did actually feel great. The were brilliant in dry weather, they seemed to get very tacky BUT i must warn they are not too good in wet conditions.........if you are thinking of these as your next set of grips make sure you buy a pair of mac wet rain glooves lol! :tsg_smilie_cool:

Blader,

Hope you enjoyed your Asia golf. During the summer here I use a fresh (not necessarily brand new)glove every hole. Terrible.

Happy golfing,

Milo.

Thanks for the responses. I know about that humitdy Milo is talking about in Asia. Played in Japan last summer with relatives and I've never encountered humidity like that. I sweated though a brand new glove each time out. Its just incredible.

I'm excited now more than ever to hit the Epon with that cord grip.

Right now I'm also using a cord, ribbed Lamkin on my 3-wood which is something I had used long, long ago.

Last year I played around with thicker grips going oversize but all that did was ruin my timing. I went back to thinner grips and playing well (to my abilities) again.

Yes Milo, I enjoyed golfing in Japan very much. Quite a different experience than golfing in the states. I was very spoiled by my in-laws while there. I had bought a Club Glove travel bag and that thing was just great as I traveled from Yokohama to Kyushu and back up.

Try The Grip Master's, the more humid and sweaty the weather, the tackier these grips get. They are amazing, look great and last a couple seasons...

Pretty Simple (I gotta do my own...always):

GP Velvet Std. Full-Cord Rnd. (+4 wraps, Logo Down): Woods and Irons

GP New Decade Multi-Comp. (+4 Wraps, Logo Up): Wedges

Pingman Blackout: Putter

**For some reason an 'almost' midsize grip feels perfect for my hand size for the swing and a very small grip feels perfect on the flat stick. I am a total feel player so, you can tell, once I found these grip combos I don't plan on changing for a very very long time (like those players on tour who still play victory grips...same deal).

I live in the south pacific backwater Australia, however I was able to purchase a lamkin torsion control grip for my driver. This is the latest from lamkin and a real beauty in my view.

You can check em out on the lamkin site. :tsg_smilie_cool:

• 2 weeks later...

love my lamkin tour black crossline full cords, the original ones not the new ones with the blue cap...

Now using Crossline Sofcord on my irons and the standard Crossline on my woods. Sofcord is much harder, with no give at all. However, there is no doubt that traction is greater and I would buy them again due to the wet, humid climate we have here. In drier conditions I would prefer the standard Crossline.

Lamkin crossline. Shanghai is extremely hot and humid for at least 5 months of the year but the crossline is super tacky after a quick rub with a dry towel. They also seem to have a good compromise between firmness and feel.

Have yet to try the crossline cord which I suspect might be even better.

• 6 months later...

Grips seem to be a problematic thing for me. Grip size really depends on how the club is held in the hand. Once I settled on a comfortable way to grip the club, more with a bias towards holding it in the fingers, I settled on a standard .600 core grip on a .600 shaft but. Technically, a static hand measurement says that I should use a mid-size, but I found with mid-size grips the 'release' didn't feel so great. So I think I've finally figured out that a standard grip is best for me and my swing. Also, I like a corded Wrap grip, as the Wraps help me get slightly more of my fingers and hence more grip on the,er, grip.

Not crazy about the Dual Durometer grips. I don't like grips that will mute the response from the club head. But that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Lamkin crossline full cord for me.

Not a fan of round though....i have to have the .580 rib with 2 layers of tape.

Driver, 3 wood and hybrid: Lamkin Crossline Full cord Midsize

Irons: Lamkin Crossline NON cord Midsize

Wedges: Iomic X grip Midsize Blue

Putter: Iomic Medium Yellow

Reason:

I like a firm feel in the grip when swinging my longer shafted clubs, driver and woods - hence a Crossline fullcord grip gives me extra good grip.

I like a more soft feel in my irons, but not too soft - hence Crossline NON cord.

I rarely take a full shot with any of my wedges, I prefer a 3/4 pitch and chip - hence I prefer a very soft grip in my wedges. The Iomic X grips provides me with this soft feel.