OZIK by Matrix ( TP-7, Code 6, Altus, and more! )

TourSpecGolfer

I have been getting questions from BSG'ers if the OZIK is really all its cracked up to be and if it stands to the Hype it has been given on that board. I really had not had much time with the TP-7, Altus, Code Series, and hybrid shafts so I decided to pick up a variety of different shafts and put them to the test. My launch monitor results are best with a 10.5* driver and R flex shaft so I will be starting with the TP-7 R flex. I like my shafts at about 243cpm installed at a D2-D4 swing weight in of course the EPON 460 technity, in fact all the OZIK shafts will be tested in this same setup and we can see if these things are really worth the 1k price tag. From what im hearing there should be a substantial increase in distance or accuracy by changing to these shafts. I purchased every model in multiple flexes and promise to give them a fair and balanced testing and report the results to you.

Here are some images of the test subjects, i have some single digit, scratch, and under par players with fast and smooth tempo's who are willing to give us a few hours of their time for lunch. We will be using both the accuvector and zelocity to find our ideal shafts in the ozik line and compare it to what in my personal opinion are the best shafts in the industry, Mamiya Axiv V-Spec, DREV & Mach Line by NGS, Fujikura Rombax, and Diamana Blue, Red, and White board shafts.

Understand that every swing is different and what will work for me or our testers may not work for you in the same manner. Here are some pics of our test subjects:

Picture-683.jpg

Picture-685.jpg

Picture-689.jpg

Picture-698.jpg

Picture-693.jpg

Picture-676.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chris is one whose opinion I trust. So will see if he comes to the same conclusion as I: performance dif is incremental at best and not worth the extra $.

chris is one whose opinion I trust. So will see if he comes to the same conclusion as I: performance dif is incremental at best and not worth the extra $.

Agree. Todd would sell his mother's bones for shafts if he could.

Agree. Todd would sell his mother's bones for shafts if he could.

How about we just wait for some good unbiased data before slagging-off anyone? What I really like about this forum is that has remained golf-focused and not personality-focused - it would be great if it could stay that way.

I'm sure Chris will do a wonderful job :tsg_smiley_yes:

Chris might find that the TP7 in R flex is a little softer than what he is used to. I had the tp7X in R flex and it was too soft for me (maybe 90mph clubhead speed). I think that the results may surprise the board. Everyone that has hit mine loves it. However, performance vs. cost is a purely personal decision IMO. I love the Ozik tp 7, but must in all candor say that I will be hard pressed to buy another useless the price comes down. If I fly I am always worried about baggage handlers destroying my hyperexpensive toy. (I guess that proves I can't afford it!)

Looking forward to the test results.

Ozik is a U.S brand that is part of Matrix Composite Corp they have a big following in Korea also. I have been learning all i can about the different methods of shaft making and testing and it seems the OZIK line doesnt cut as many corners when trying to build a high quality product. From first glance i have noticed they Freq. all shafts individually where other brands print the overall CPM on the shaft. now does that and all the extra boron, zylon, hand wrapped really make a big difference? Lets wait and see. I have played 1 round so far with the Code 6 Stiff flex tipped but dont want to make a quick judgement till i really get the feel of these shafts in different flex's and models.

Not sure what your results will turn out to be, and I hope it's all close, but I can give you my opinions and findings.

I've played the TP-7X, Altus, and code-6. Are they nice? Yes. Do they help correct sidespin and launch results? Yes. Do I still play any of those shafts? NOOOO!

I know the "reason" some guys give for why the PGA guy's don't play these shafts, are because they're not well known enough, but I think it has more to do with performance. I've shafted up identical heads, much like what Chris is doing now, and taken them all out for comparison at the same time. Never found extra distance when comparing it to a Diamana Blueboard, or a UST V2. Sidespin on the TP-7X was somewhat less, but the distance was also affected.

The Altus was higher launching, but I never saw the roll it was supposed to give, and the UST was at least 15 yards longer. The Diamana carried further, and the roll was the same. And if it works for Tiger...

Anyways, that's my take on the Oziks, but I'm anxious to see some other un-biased results!

I have the TP-7x stiff in a tour TM TP R7 460 9.5*. It does what it is supposed to do. I do like the feel and the kick of this shaft alot.

I have the Altus stiff in a tour TM TP R7 425 9.5 head. I really can't tell much difference between the 2 shafts performance. I'd certainly stick with the expensive, but much less so Altus over the TP-7 models.

You basically get the same bang for much less buck.

I have a Epon 460 9.5*, 1* open head that is getting the OZIK treatment soon.....

Bill

Edited by BillS100

I'm a rare poster on this site...but I have tried the Ozik line..and what I found specificially with the TP-7's is that due to the shafts stablity of maintaining the clubhead so consistantly that actually going down in flex produces the greatest results(but you must be comfortable with amount of lag that is produced with the shafts, as its feel totally different that most)...while the 'other site' you read mostly about people going up in shaft flexs trying to produce the greatest results..I think this is the wrong direction from my experience....my 2 cents

I'm a rare poster on this site...but I have tried the Ozik line..and what I found specificially with the TP-7's is that due to the shafts stablity of maintaining the clubhead so consistantly that actually going down in flex produces the greatest results(but you must be comfortable with amount of lag that is produced with the shafts, as its feel totally different that most)...while the 'other site' you read mostly about people going up in shaft flexs trying to produce the greatest results..I think this is the wrong direction from my experience....my 2 cents

I agree. I have the TP-7 in a Cleveland HiBore and it plays to flex. It feels "softer" because it's supposed to. Like the AXIV, tightening up the whip seems to defeat the purpose. I've also hit the Altus and - performance aside - Ozik shafts seem to have a very distinct feel to them. I'm not saying it's bad or good, just very idiosyncratic to that shaft. I think you either love it or you don't.

Has anybody else sensed this?

In any case, the TP-7 is not the longest shaft I've played or even the best feeling overall. The one unique performance attribute IMO is the dispersion - loose swing, tight swing, good swing or average the thing goes the same direction all the time. Again, while it delivers a really "solid" (?) feel at impact, the TP-7 has been competing for a spot in the bag with a Grafalloy Tour Concept Axis which I'm not prepared to say is a better shaft but I seem to like almost as much. Considering I could buy 3 Axis shafts for the price of 1 TP-7, I'm at least inclined to say that there other shafts offering more bang for the buck that the TP.

I’m looking forward to hearing the results of this test.

As the poster who mentioned that the shafts play "soft" I felt I should respond to the idea that the shafts are supposed to feel soft. I don't dispute that statement but I found that for me the flex designation was a little soft compared to what I was used to, and I played MCC shafts before, specifically the MFS 65.

As far as the comparison between the Altus and the TP line, a clubmaker I have talked to said that originally he felt that the Altus was every bit as good at 60% less price, but that as he has made more drivers with each he has seen the Ozik outperform Altus. I have not hit the Altus but want to, as well as the Code shafts,etc. Sure wish I lived around Chris! I am very curious as to his results.

The Axiv-V is fastly becoming my favorite shaft. I couldn't imagine having anything else and hitting it better than I do now. At nearly three times the cost of the Axiv-V I'm not sure the Ozik could be three times better. What is it about the makeup of this shaft that it has such a hefty price tag??

As the poster who mentioned that the shafts play "soft" I felt I should respond to the idea that the shafts are supposed to feel soft. I don't dispute that statement but I found that for me the flex designation was a little soft compared to what I was used to, and I played MCC shafts before, specifically the MFS 65.

As far as the comparison between the Altus and the TP line, a clubmaker I have talked to said that originally he felt that the Altus was every bit as good at 60% less price, but that as he has made more drivers with each he has seen the Ozik outperform Altus. I have not hit the Altus but want to, as well as the Code shafts,etc. Sure wish I lived around Chris! I am very curious as to his results.

You are on the money, You can learn to hit a softer shaft but cant hit a shaft thats too stiff.

I was on the zelocity and noticed with every shaft i thought i should be playing based on my swing speed I was wrong. Swing speed is not the best way to figure out flex. Its a variety of things but IMO what would help most of the guys on the forum is tracking their head speed through different points, before, during, and after impact. I saw guys on the mini tours playing X flex losing head speed at impact, at stiff flex staying the same and at R flex tipped gaining head speed. Thats the whole emotion of the shaft, to gain head speed and kick. These mini tour guys would not play R or S due to Ego, its sad but the remedy was putting a shaft label over the flex or scratching the letter out.

I swing at 100-103mph and use R flex, I have seen guys who hit 108mph and need R, no matter how many customers i tell this many say " I think i should get the stiff flex " I then ask why, and its always the same reason. because R is too whippy. its become a standard format ego excuse imo. All i can say is ok, but if you have the chance get on a launch monitor with somone trained in operating them and give me all the data.

A good fitting takes about an hour+ and you should recieve multiple print outs.

Although a BSG'er for a long time, even I am getting a bit disenchanted with the way things are going there regarding the $1,000 shafts.

I can't wait for the results of this test.

I've seen countless posts over the years from "that other board" that all sound about the same: "I have a 7.5 degree "tour" driver, 2 degrees open, an XXX shaft tipped 4", and with my 130 mph swingspeed I keep ballooning it. It won't carry beyond 340 yards. What should I do?"

Edited by dorkman53

I've seen countless posts over the years from "that other board" that all sound about the same: "I have a 7.5 degree "tour" driver, 2 degrees open, an XXX shaft tipped 4", and with my 130 mph swingspeed I keep ballooning it. It won't carry beyond 340 yards. What should I do?"

:tsg_smiley_laughatyou: Oh, how true! Sometimes I wonder if the G doesn't stand for Gorilla!

When can we expect the results of this test???

This is no big official TSG test, it just myself and whoever i can get to give us feedback on a launch monitor with certain shafts.

All shafted with Epon 460 heads in 10.5, all setup at D2 44.75" long.

As of now i have only tested the TP-7 R flex, Code 6 Stiff flex, and the Mach Line 7080 SR flex. I have a 7 handicapper coming in tommrow to help out also.

Based on my customer feedback of BSG/TSG'ers people dont see the performance value in the Ozik, I am also considering having Golf Labs in California doing an independant test.

hey guys, i have one of each of the matriz ozik shafts in the house...my first test was between the matrix code 6 stiff flex vs axiv 6064H vs axiv V spec 7072

Results are as follows

Distance - Axiv 6064H easily 5 Champ

Axiv V Spec easily second place

Ozik - Dead last

Accuracy - V Spec was the tightest

Ozik second

Normal axiv last, however it was pretty darn tight too

Feel - I have to say the code 6 was bloody silky smooth!

Code 6

V spec

Looking at this it really depends on what you want from your shaft as to which you would pick - However i certainly saw no benefit in paying the extra few pounds for the ozik. My choice at the mo is the 6064 as it feels great goes real long and is very very friendly

hey guys, i have one of each of the matriz ozik shafts in the house...my first test was between the matrix code 6 stiff flex vs axiv 6064H vs axiv V spec 7072

Results are as follows

Distance - Axiv 6064H easily 5 Champ

Axiv V Spec easily second place

Ozik - Dead last

Accuracy - V Spec was the tightest

Ozik second

Normal axiv last, however it was pretty darn tight too

Feel - I have to say the code 6 was bloody silky smooth!

Code 6

V spec

Looking at this it really depends on what you want from your shaft as to which you would pick - However i certainly saw no benefit in paying the extra few pounds for the ozik. My choice at the mo is the 6064 as it feels great goes real long and is very very friendly

Its obvious you know what your talking about as my initial findings are showing almost identical results. Somthing you should factor in is the flex. I tried the code 6 in stiff and it didnt feel as good as the R. it is also known in most cases that a lower kicking softer shaft that a player can handle will feel better than a mid/high kicking shaft that is a bit to stiff. The price on the Code 6 is a good value per shaft but its the TP-7, TP-7x, and Altus that dont perform for their price.

more info to come, if we do the golf labs test it will cost a lot of money so those who are interested in supporting this test drop me a PM. With your donation you can come down to southern cali and take part of the testing at golf labs along with the golf lab swing bot, which makes the iron byron look like an antique and player testing with all the latest gadgets and a format by GL.