OZIK by Matrix ( TP-7, Code 6, Altus, and more! )

TourSpecGolfer

I actually installed the Altus fairway wood model in my 425TP because it was a little heavier. I believe in was 82gm's. It allowed me to fiddle with swing weight/head weight a bit and tweak spin and launch as well. Just an option for the people who prefer heavy shafts in drivers. I'm not sure if this is offered however, worth checking into...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to hit the Altus stiff today. It was in a Rapture 10.5 and just on the range, but I batted around 70 balls with it and mixed in and out with my current G5/Axis gamer.

That shaft has MUCH more feel than the TP-7 in my opinion (or for my swing). It really loads nicely and likes to be stood on a little :tsg_smiley_bump: ! I was very impressed. Ozik may win me over yet.

Now I strongly reaffirming my earlier post that the TP-7 is not worth the $1G. And, I'd really like to try the Altus against the Code 7 but I'm fresh out of friends who have the Code. :tsg_smilie_wah:

I had a chance to hit the Altus stiff today. It was in a Rapture 10.5 and just on the range, but I batted around 70 balls with it and mixed in and out with my current G5/Axis gamer.

That shaft has MUCH more feel than the TP-7 in my opinion (or for my swing). It really loads nicely and likes to be stood on a little :tsg_smiley_ninja: ! I was very impressed. Ozik may win me over yet.

Now I strongly reaffirming my earlier post that the TP-7 is not worth the $1G. And, I'd really like to try the Altus against the Code 7 but I'm fresh out of friends who have the Code. :tsg_smilie_wah:

Dang it....just when I though I'd stick with the AXIV 6568 now another good Altus/Code review.....What to do, what to do.... :tsg_smiley_embarrassed:

No shaft is worth 1K unless it comes with a guarantee to play scratch golf. Seriously, I believe the shaft Co.'s are really testing the waters here. It started with Fuji and the $200 something shafts and it's never stopped since. I realize that space age materials and science are being used and that's great but everthing has it's saturation point and it's up to the consumer to dictate this feedback. I want to try the Code 7 and 8 as well; I'm beginning to realize the Code series is the best in the line for my game. I have a brand new TP-7 (X) that I'm very hesitant to shaft up because of the feedback I read about distance loss. It's probably for the big bombers to help with control. Don't forget that Matrix has the Woven (Rombox equivalent) and the MFS series which I play in my fairway woods at much more reasonable prices. I really like them both a lot; the Woven is a super nice shaft that nobody knows about. It's a missle launcher and not much more that $125 or so retail (don't quote me please, talk to Chris about availability). I think they are going to re-release this model either under a new name and/or with new graphics. the old graphics is sweet; clear chocolate brown allowing you to see the weave patterns of the graphite, HOT LOOKS!

Edited by BigBen

I have been playing the TP 7 since spring. Have been impressed with it. However, I just got an Altus, same flex (firm) in a Nakashima head. Have only hit 7 shots with it but I must say that the early returns indicate that the Altus feels much livlier that the TP. My initial opinion is that the Altus is better than the TP, at least for me. Of course on course results are the key, but the early high bombs (for me anyway-my bombs are others 4 irons) make me a believer.

Have only hit 7 shots with it but I must say that the early returns indicate that the Altus feels much livlier that the TP.

Good to see someone else is getting the same results :tsg_smilie_cool:

I agree that price only buys so much. I can attest from personal experience that Mamiya, Stulz, Mitsubishi, Grafalloy, Fuji, Graphite Design, MCC, UST and others have some elite engineering specs that DO contribute to performance. The question is, fit aside, how does one choose among these many, many shafts ranging in price from $75 to $1,200?

I’m a big believer in Wishon. He has said that driver shafts made to the same spec (length, weight, flex, torque) tend to perform the same way regardless of what or how they are made. The manufacturing and materials contribute only to feel. I think that’s probably right, and the question is what’s that feel price threshold – for performance, it may well be $150. Feel is a different question. So getting back to the TP-7, if it felt 2x as good as the Altus or 4x as good as the Axiv, it may very well be worth the price to some. I personally just don’t think it does.

Good to see someone else is getting the same results :tsg_smilie_cool:

I agree that price only buys so much. I can attest from personal experience that Mamiya, Stulz, Mitsubishi, Grafalloy, Fuji, Graphite Design, MCC, UST and others have some elite engineering specs that DO contribute to performance. The question is, fit aside, how does one choose among these many, many shafts ranging in price from $75 to $1,200?

I’m a big believer in Wishon. He has said that driver shafts made to the same spec (length, weight, flex, torque) tend to perform the same way regardless of what or how they are made. The manufacturing and materials contribute only to feel. I think that’s probably right, and the question is what’s that feel price threshold – for performance, it may well be $150. Feel is a different question. So getting back to the TP-7, if it felt 2x as good as the Altus or 4x as good as the Axiv, it may very well be worth the price to some. I personally just don’t think it does.

One other thing Wishon said which makes his statement all the more true was that the shafts had the same "bend profile" which is down the shaft at seperate points not just kick point. You can not fault the man for truth.

Ben, will you compare the launch characteristics of these two driver heads?

Sure, the Cally is a different monster. It has the love/hate driver thing going. I believe the this driver combo has lower overall spin and a very tight shot dispersion. The Cally likes to fly very straight. I think the Taylormade probably has a lower initial launch angle however it wants to move a hair right to left (1* open driver face) in the "N" weight position. I have needed to move more weight to the toe in an effort to control hooks. Actually that has worked out very well. I really love both drivers but they are totally different in my opinion. The Taylor is easy, normal titanium driver feel and pretty low launch. I think the Cally is awesome; very underrated due in part to a very week stock shaft offering and bit tricky to dial in. However; once you have it good thinks tend to happen. Having said this; if you are talking tour issue it will be important to know the source because these drivers can have very different face angles and head weights which effect all of the above. I truly like the Code 6 better than the Rombax, it has a silky feel and low spin quality that the better player desires. I hope this helps, can't go wrong either way. I reshafted the Taylormade with the Altus and haven't seen a ton of benefit except improved feel.

Edited by BigBen

launch monitor tests are scheduled in 2 weeks against other top shafts on the market.

As of now my playing impressions are that the code 6 is a very solid offering with great feel and some good kick. Im playing a tipped R flex but im sure i could get along good with the firm flex. The TP-7 is nice but shorter than the code 6 yet in the same flex. what i have not done is put these up against axivs, drev's, fuji's, and diamana's yet.

I will though very soon, just letting you guys know there is some truth in bighitters song of praise.

We must be getting close - any idea when the results will be available. Also where can we find your pricing on Oziks??

I now have tried all of the axiv range in flexes fro r to x and all of he ozik range.

TP 7 in my opinion is not worth the money - feel is silky but strange, distance crap and tbh i didnt enjoy hitting it.

Altus was a much better driver shaft as it loads well, gave great flight characteristics and had more yds on it.

Compared to the axiv range they dont compete - axiv kicked ozik ass on the distance stakes. none of the oziks out hit the axivs,

I have come to the conclusion that the V spec is the shaft for me and thank god as it is 1/3 price of a tp7!!!!

Axiv V Spec is the best shaft I've ever hit-- but they are different than US spec and don't confuse the flex listed as being on the Rifle/US scale-- way softer... I'm playing a 7.2 and its barely a stiff!!!

It is softer because the japanese at Mamiya use a 7" clamp to test the CPM's not the normal 5"

One other thing Wishon said which makes his statement all the more true was that the shafts had the same "bend profile" which is down the shaft at seperate points not just kick point. You can not fault the man for truth.

The problem I find is people misinterpret that statement. They feel many shafts have the same bend profile which they do not. It looks like to me that the new shafts coming out allow shaft manufacturers to create a bend profile that has not been available before.

I'm also not even sure if bend profile would describe the effect something like Rombax or Triax gives to a shaft...

It's not the case here but many people will take wishon's statement, show a cheaper shaft w/ the same basic specs (torque, weight, kick point) and point out how it's the equivalent shaft..

• 2 weeks later...
launch monitor tests are scheduled in 2 weeks against other top shafts on the market.

As of now my playing impressions are that the code 6 is a very solid offering with great feel and some good kick. Im playing a tipped R flex but im sure i could get along good with the firm flex. The TP-7 is nice but shorter than the code 6 yet in the same flex. what i have not done is put these up against axivs, drev's, fuji's, and diamana's yet.

I will though very soon, just letting you guys know there is some truth in bighitters song of praise.

Any further news on either the course or launch monitor testing please?

Any further news on either the course or launch monitor testing please?

Still in its early stages but at the very least we will have un bias independent test with both import and tour.

Price is relative. To quote Fujikura, "Performance is the Ultimate Value." If you are a competitive player, then an increase in performance is worth a lot of money. How much? Thats up to you. But If you tell me that just by switching shafts I can increase 5 mph of ball speed, reduce spin, and hit an extra fairway a round: I'm buying it. To me (playing at the college level, and hopefully one day beyond that), that kind of increase is almost invaluable.

That said, I was VERY unimpressed with the TP-7. Its performance (FOR ME) did not do anything to WOW me. I have a Code-6 coming in a Cobra HS9-X tomorrow, so we'll see how that shaft performs.

To date, the best shaft for me in terms of distance, accuracy, and feel is the Aldila Prototype 65-X (cinnamon). According to Aldila, if brought to retail it would have been priced around 700 dollars...

I am new to the board and joined off of positive referral.

I have had great luck with Matrix Ozik so far. I gained 13yards going from 905+Fuji Tour Spec to Fourteen JC606+Ozik Altus. I am interested to hear TourSpecs results.

As one got used to GD Tour AD's soft feeling, I tried to tast MatriX Ozil code 6 with my new gamer (TM R7 425 TP). I think it has totally different characteristics.

First of all, It make the ball launch a little bit higher than GD Tour AD, but the ball was not ballooning but keeping the ball carry more. Moreover, in compare with the originally equiped Fuji Rombax 65, the launching angle was far more high but carry more.

Second. If i define the feeling of code 6, it will be "clean." It will be the very different points with those of Tp-7, GD Tour AD and Rombax.

Third. Code 6 is very true to flex in compare with those of TP-7, GD Tour AD and Rombax. In my feeling, the others(TP-7, GD Tour AD and Rombax) are felt softer than its true flex.

Forth. The price of code 6 (US$300~350) is relatively reasonable.

Summing up, I would like to raise a hand for code 6.

These are solely my personal view based on my test. Good luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...

Anything new to report?????

• 1 month later...

Well my code-6 arrived yesterday... I just need to figure out which driver to put it in. Looks awesome... It's so.... red. I could put it on display. :tsg_smilie_cool:

Hi Gocchin, have you had a chance to verify the cpm as marked on the shaft? Is it a 205g weight with a 5 inch clamp? Is it the raw shaft and at what length?

CPM provided by manufacturers always confuses me as to which methodology they adopt. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I have a TP-7 (HiBore) and an Axis (G5) and I’ll tell you that I’d rather have the Axis every day of the week and on a month of Sundays. Nothing to do with the money, it’s just a better shaft for me. Loads smoothly, appreciably longer than the Ozik, and nearly as accurate. It’s a no brainer for me. In fact, I know of at least two other people who went to the TP-7 and de-adopted it due to distance drop offs.

I’m not dumping on the Ozik shafts. I, for example, believe Chris when he talks about great results from the Code 6. Shoot, I’ll probably try it before long. But the notion that the Ozik is clearly superior to True Temper’s absolute top of the line is just that: a notion.

I too have tried an Ozik F7m X in a FT-3. I had trouble controlling it and it never had the super distance that was claimed to it. The thing it did have was that super smooth feeling. I never understood the feeling (and really don't care for it) til I hit the Ozik. It feels as if you're hitting a ladies shaft but it did not balloon or have a super high ball flight. I finally got used to the feeling but was tired of not knowing where my ball was going to end up.

I then switched to the Axis. The shaft felt better, was straighter, and I knew where it was going. However, I felt as if I was giving away 5-10 yards on every hole. (I know this because I was usually in front of my playing partner and now I found my self behind him, but in the fairway.) I never looked at it, but the shaft may have been a tad shorter by an inch or so.

Just switched to a Nike SQ Tour with a 757 (which has always been the best shaft for me). I think I need a higher launching or a more spinning shaft for this head, as I have again, lost distance

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...