So after playing blades into my 50+ years, I've finally decided to change things up and move into the modern age by changing to a cavity back iron. Believe me, it was hard to come to grips with the fact that I'm not sacrificing my manhood in any way (testosterone, if you don't have any you can never understand, what can you say about a hormone that makes it imperative that I know precisely where the lot line of any property I've ever examined is located) . I figure it should actually help my game by both allowing me to benefit from a bit more forgiveness and the advances in technology over the last 7 years. My irons must surely compare to say, Windows 98 and the G Field NC 1's I'm getting would then be Windows XP.(this is relative terms ok I don't mean to imply that I shall be plagued by the blue screen of death with my clubs)

I'm actually quite excited to see what this change accomplishes, if anything. I'm hoping it provides some relief from the penalty for those not quite perfect smacks I put on the ball resulting in a more consistant result. Instead of being 5 yds short because I caught it a little toward the toe I'm more like 1.5 yds short. That at least is the theory. And lastly a hearty thanks to Bernard, plus1, for parting with these beauties at such a reasonable price!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after playing blades into my 50+ years, I've finally decided to change things up and move into the modern age by changing to a cavity back iron. Believe me, it was hard to come to grips with the fact that I'm not sacrificing my manhood in any way (testosterone, if you don't have any you can never understand, what can you say about a hormone that makes it imperative that I know precisely where the lot line of any property I've ever examined is located) . I figure it should actually help my game by both allowing me to benefit from a bit more forgiveness and the advances in technology over the last 7 years. My irons must surely compare to say, Windows 98 and the G Field NC 1's I'm getting would then be Windows XP.(this is relative terms ok I don't mean to imply that I shall be plagued by the blue screen of death with my clubs)

I'm actually quite excited to see what this change accomplishes, if anything. I'm hoping it provides some relief from the penalty for those not quite perfect smacks I put on the ball resulting in a more consistant result. Instead of being 5 yds short because I caught it a little toward the toe I'm more like 1.5 yds short. That at least is the theory. And lastly a hearty thanks to Bernard, plus1, for parting with these beauties at such a reasonable price!

Shoe, hope its okay to add on to what seems like a post among a tight group of friendly TSG'ers. Being a blade-man myself, very interested to hear what comes of your results. I'm turning 38 next week and keep telling myself one day I'll switch to cavity backs but I just love my blades so much. The way they look and how they feel. Actually took them in today to have the lofts checked as well as to have them flattened a couple degrees as I'm hooking them. I tested each one at home on a lie board and pretty much confirmed what I was already suspecting for some time. Needed at least two if not three degrees. Anyways, I know the new tech with all these wonderful cavities are the way to go, but right now, just can't think about doing it. However, very interested to see the results of those who are making the switch. I hope it works out for you and keep us all posted.

Blader-X I'll be sure and let you know how this little experiment works out. I get the heads shafted tomorrow and hopefully it'll warm up by the end of the week so I can at least hit a few balls.

I was looking at the heads, and noticed that plus1, from whom I purchased them, didn't miss the middle of the face at all. Amazing evidence of quality ball striking. I am probably not worthy, lol. But we'll see.

Now that is funny Shoe lol Blue screen of death :tsg_smilie_laugh:

Good luck with the change . As you know I tried it a couple of years back and gave up .

Back to blades once again . But one look at my sig and you would also see that .

Have played 4 times this year now . Still above 80 . But playing better .

Guess after my year + break should not expect too much and guess what ? I don't .

Later Guys .

Mike

Good to see you guys are doing good. Shoe I too thought that was funny about the blue screen of death. Mike I am glad to hear you have gotten to play 4 times. Shoe you will have to let us know how the change goes. I have gone back to cavity backs with the Srixons but my golf is about to end for quite a few months. My grandfather who will be 78 this summer is starting on my house in about a month to a month and a half. The golf team is in full swing and I have basically got no time for golf or tennis. I think I have played 18 holes twice in the last 7 months...might be 8 now but I have gotten in nine holes three times. My game is very rusty. I am turning 39's into 42's....oh well what can I expect. My wife is considering getting a prozac lick for me once the house starts but I am looking forward to working with my grandfather, my uncle, and one of my cousins on it.

Thats all for now...have a great week.

Mike, I remember when you went with the Z101's and what a struggle that was for you, at least I think that's what I remember. I'll find out as I get my clubs back Tuesday, and the 5+ inches of snow that fell yesterday will hopefully be long gone by then. Glad you are back playing some anyway, and it's really early in the season yet so who keeps real score.

Allan, I have a very good friend building his own house in southeastern Georgia so I know you're in for an interesting experience. I'm trying to picture what exactly a prozac lick would look like and all I see is a giant green/white capsule on a stick out by the garage. I'm not sure that depression will be the issue as much as anxiety in which case I recommend 2 fingers of 21 year old Scotch, neat in the evening before retiring. Unless of course you're like me and think your fingers are 61/2 inches tall then you don't so much retire as tip over where ever you happen to be when the urge strikes, and mornings become a painful experience. Keep us updated on the house project as I am interesting in how this project progresses.

It's all about how much fun one has in whatever one is doing, the world is too full of self-important crabby people already so dare to be different!

Mike - sounds like you will be back to full action this summer. Glad to hear. I look at your sig and say "Man that is old school" but top quality. It seems like yesterday when you had the driver and fairways rigged.

Shoe - I think you will love the Gauge irons. I think allot of people struggled with the Z101's - while they were great looking irons I could just never get them dialed in. I believe Alan and Lance had the same problem. Well Lance and Alan lead the iron count and I come in right behind them - but as much as much as I am tempted to move to something more forgiving than the TM CB's - I just can't shake them out of the bag.

The snow fall and tough times at work are really getting me depressed. I had to cancel my son's last three baseball practices. Oh well the weather can only get better.

Best wishes - off to do the Lithuanian Sun dance ! :tsg_smilie_yuk:

Best wishes - off to do the Lithuanian Sun dance ! :tsg_smiley_crazy:

It worked...sun was out almost all day yesterday. In fact it kind of frightened me seeing that big yellow BRIGHT ball in the sky. My blessings on all Lithuanian's and their Sun Dance practitioners!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the opportunity to hit about 125 balls with the NC-1's and I am impressed to no end. Talk about smooth feeling, tight dispersion, and marvelous workability. The shafts are the same as I had in my Hogan's and the difference is startling. Granted it's comparing a blade to a CB but the feel is so much more impressive on solid hits I have to think for a while longer to come up with words to describe it. As expected off center hits are much better with the NC-1's but I find it surprising that the feel is still quite muted. None of the rattle your bones stuff as with the Hogan's. I can hit the ball high, really high for me even though the lofts on the NC-1's are a couple of degrees stronger than on the Hogan's. And I can hit nice low trajectory without effort with consistant results. Can't really hit a fade but then I can't ever hit a fade so it's not the clubs fault; it's easy to hit a big hook or a small draw provided my swing cooperates. Being that it's so early in the year my swing is not repeatitive nor trustworthy yet, but I'm excited about what these irons should do for my game. (after all we know it's all about the equipment not the user) Now to get my 7 wood and I can truly be an old fart golfer. Of course I'm thinking I need to change my 3 wood too, so it's probably time to tell the Exotics. Later gentlemen, and may old man par become a good friend to you all.

• 1 month later...

How are you guys . Hope all is well with everyone .

Been a year now since my operation . Have been playing a bit more and the funny part it am even getting better lol

Not much though . Handicap is still kind of on the high side but am hoping it will come back down by the end of the year .

Still working full time . But the end is in sight for my current job . Will then need to go out and get a real job and work for a living :atsg_smilie_roll:

That all for now , take care guys .

Mike

Edited by Mike

Mike I am glad to hear you are doing good and that your game is coming around. I myself have lost the desire to play for the time being. I have had a very busy couple of months. The golf season wrapped up with the girls winning the state championship and our number 1 girl winning the individual state champ, player of the year, and all state and 2 of our boys made it to state. We break ground on the house on June 22 and that will more than likely mark the end of my golf for the near future. I have overcome the tendon and ligament damage in my right wrist finally and then 2 night ago I mess up my left wrist so that is also contributing to my lack of golf. I have been able to play tennis over the past year because I can tape my right wrist and play without bothering it and I am finally to the point I can play without tape but it does not feel right so I still tape it. I am more than likely going to sell most of my bag and use my old TM300 when I decide to play and keep the wedges and three wood. I hope you guys are doing good!

Alan

Mike - Happy Anniversary ! I am glad you are feeling better and the golf game is coming back to boot. Sorry you will have to find a job and just can't retire on your way out.

Alan - sorry to hear about the wrist problem. Told you not to visit those websites too often. :tsg_smiley_question: Just kidding my freind. Hey I will take you Srixon's if the price is right - let me know what else you got via e -mail.

As for me - I am in the final weeks of baseball. One kid did not make it to the playoffs the other wraps up on the 23rd. Daughter made it softball playoffs. Anyway -- I have been playing a bit more this year. Even joined the Lithuanian Golf Club after a 12 year lapse and managed to win my first match play event on Memeorial Day weekend. Made some swing changes and the results are looking good. having fun playing golf again.

• 2 months later...

This thread seems to have died off...

too bad!!!

Well FWIW I had a great day on the golf course today. Got out early in an effort to beat the heat. I went to the course to practice the Chikara's, maybe hit a couple at the range and them Putt a few. After about 25 wedge shots the starter yelled at me and told me he had a spot open if I wanted to play, so off I went.

What I didn't know is they had punched and sanded the greens the day before. For the first time in my life I hit every green in regulation on the front 9... not one birdie, felt lucky to only 3 putt twice. Good greens 2-3 under. Punched and sanded, 2 over.

I didn't play the back nine.

Still had a great day!!!!

Anyone else get out today??

I'm most likely going to get up early and get to a different course tomorrow.. provided I don't have to many Margs with dinner tonight.

Practiced hitting about a 100 pitch/chip shots with the shag bag and the Chikara's this morning.

I am getting to know these wedges... and all i can say is look out!!!!

Handicap is going to disappear soon. We're headed for scratch golf.

Headed to Phoenix Thursday..

going to the Cubs, D-backs friday night, Az Cardinals Chargers game saturday.

Mjr D... get us a tee time for Saturday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... and I'll bring my clubs.

Otis and Sassy were imported from So. Africa where the TRUE German Shephard line has been preserved.

Poncho is their son....

Sassy

Otis

poncho

These dogs are so smart it's scary!!!

Edited by idrive

• 2 weeks later...

Nice dogs...they even look smart, which is scary in and of itself. Interesting to see how you like the wedges...is there a noticable advantage to the grind? As I'm a Brewer fan I hope you get to see the Cubs lose...haven't played in over a month, no time and 23 inches of rain does that...should get out tuesday tho...

Not sure what happen to andy and allen...they must have decided to get a life...something that has always struck me as ordinary and filled with responsibility. yech

Nice dogs...they even look smart, which is scary in and of itself. Interesting to see how you like the wedges...is there a noticable advantage to the grind? As I'm a Brewer fan I hope you get to see the Cubs lose...haven't played in over a month, no time and 23 inches of rain does that...should get out tuesday tho...

Not sure what happen to andy and allen...they must have decided to get a life...something that has always struck me as ordinary and filled with responsibility. yech

Really starting to like the wedges more and more. It seems that I can pull off any shot I can think of or even try for that matter. Guess that's the grind thing.

Saw the Cubs win the only game they won in Arizona...

i actually stopped spoiing my chik wedges and gave them a taste of range balls. hit about 50 or so balls. like idrive i am learning these wedges more and more. i had to change my swing a bit (more outward) with half, feel shots and couldnt be happier. these things shredded the range balls so fast that it would be scary to think what it could do to premium balls on actual greens.

i am also getting the distance i lost whe i originally got these wedges. my 52 gained 20 yards and my 27 gained 15 yards just by changing my swing to suit these wedges more. also a factor is that i am adjusting to the weight.

oh and i noticed 1 pin mark on the face of my wedge.must be a nick from the short time it spends outside the neoprene covers. bummer

Shoe,

I am still around. I have just been very busy with house building...I was helping sheet the roof today and with tennis that I just have not gotten on here to post in a while. I still have not played a round since March and I might just go ahead and hang it up for the year. I just do not have the fire in my belly. My piece of advice to all: Never make your hobby part or all of your job. I have done this twice now and each time I have left the game for quite a while. Back to the house...the wife and I are hoping to be in by new years. My grandfather, uncle, and cousin are the ones building and they are not known as the fastest but the craftsmanship is second to none. All the studs line up from every direction. They are all the same distance apart. He did not use trussesw to build the roof but stick built instead. This thing is solid. I have only fallen through the floor joists once...talk about one helluva a bruise from catching my self. Thank goodness I did not go all the way through to the basement. I am going to take a couple of days off to help with the sheeting around the house. I have gotten to work with my grandfather a lot (he is 78 and could out work most 35 year olds...very nimble on his feet) and I am just in awe everyday.

My father goes in for either stints or bypass surgery tomorrow so that is going to be a long day. he had his second heart attack this year just 2 weeks to the day shy of a year from his first one and i was the one that took him to the hospital again. Luckily this one was not as bad and did not require CPR after I got him there.

I have not heard from Andy or Mike in a while and I hope they are doing good. I will check back in soon and I hope all is going well in the world of Shoe and you guys.

Alan

The golf courses here in Vegas are all over seeding at the moment... making it tough to find a course that's decent to play on.

Seems the ones that are still open and haven't punched their greens or over seeded are really expensive to play..... :atsg_logo_anim:

The golf courses here in Vegas are all over seeding at the moment... making it tough to find a course that's decent to play on.

Seems the ones that are still open and haven't punched their greens or over seeded are really expensive to play..... :tsg_smilie_surprise:

I always hate those times of the year. Its necessary for sure to keep the courses in shape, but when you want to play, I feel you.

Well time to check in. I have started to play a little more actually played two rounds back to back last week.

Alan - good to hear that the house is on its way to solid footing. Rember - house done man dies. I will say a prayer for your Dad - hope he recovers quickly. did you ever sell the irons ?

Was playing Badlands Golf Course today.

Really nice course with some HUGE homes all around. One of the guys I was playing with was pointing out some of the homes and owners...

Tiger... is there about 2 weeks out of the year

Celine Deon

Shaq

Tom Hanks

etc, etc pretty impressive

out of nowhere this Coyote wanders out into the fairway.. looks around, looks around and nabs a rabbit. Wanders off.... pretty cool.