Sign in to follow this  
ClubHoUno

Poll: Best players forged CB irons ?

Which forged CB iron is the best of the best ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Only the best forged players cavityback iron is good enough for me !

• Miura Cb-1006
    • Epon Type J
    • G-Field Nc-1
    • Honma Beres Tw901
    • Tourstage X-Blade CB 2
    • Mizuno Mp-60/32 Satin custom_grind
    • Bridgestone J33 combo

Hello forum,

I'm in search for the best forged players cb iron.

I want the best combination of small clubhead, small offset, sweet forged soft feel, great classic simple design and the spice - forgiveness and workability combined (if this is possible :tsg_smiley_laughatyou: )

Thanks for your vote and help :tsg_smiley_muscle: :tsg_smilie_cool:

I'm thinking the G-Field.

Just a hunch though. :tsg_smilie_confused:

Ever seen the Srixon I-404?

It meets all of your criteria.

Yeahh.....I have a lot of respect for Srixon irons.

The I-506 and I-302 were both great sets for the European market, but also the new ZR-600 and I-505 for the Asian market seems to be great (and maybe even greater) sets of irons - but I don't like the look of Srixon irons. Can't stand the red color in the cavity and the overall design of the cavity - it's not a classic simple design like the other contendersin my poll.

The G-Field Nc-1 is also an irons on the aggresive side, when it comes to the desaign of the cavity - but I opted for it anyway and will consider it as my next set if irons, allthough I'm leaning most towards the Miura Cb-1006, Custom grind Mizuno combo and Homna Beres TW901.....

For that reason will a set of Srixon irons never be among the irons I consider as my next set of irons.

But thanks for your suggestion anyway :tsg_smiley_yes:

What about the new TaylorMade's?

I had second thoughts about the TM R7 forged Japan Limited iron, but I don't know why - just don't fancy this particular iron that much. Don't know who forged the irons (Not Miura and I guess not Endo either) and don't know if I like Taylor Made irons in my bag......

But I might consider it, if only I knew who forged this iron - is it Japan forged ?

Edited by Claus

Hi Claus, as you would expect my vote goes to the CB 1006's, what surprises me is that the Epon type J's have not received any votes, I am contemplating a set because they look so good, has anyone got any playing experience with them?

I have now played about 12 rounds with the CB 1006's and I continue to be impressed, they have such a wonderful soft feel, seem remarkably easy to use for such a small head, great control and distance. Also seem to be quite durable, 12 rounds, no marks at all!

Nick

Hi Claus, as you would expect my vote goes to the CB 1006's, what surprises me is that the Epon type J's have not received any votes, I am contemplating a set because they look so good, has anyone got any playing experience with them?

I have now played about 12 rounds with the CB 1006's and I continue to be impressed, they have such a wonderful soft feel, seem remarkably easy to use for such a small head, great control and distance. Also seem to be quite durable, 12 rounds, no marks at all!

Nick

Hey hey Nick,

Do you happen to know for a fact where Miura forges the Cb-1006 - in Japan or Taiwan ?

Do the shorter irons have the same look as the longer irons in the set or are they rounder and more bulky - this is an unfortunate thing about many of the asian produced irons, bulky short irons (9 & PW)......

I like satin irons, and the Epons are made of shiny chrom like the retail Mizunos - I don't fancy that :tsg_smiley_no:

Not sure I like the head design on the Epon Type J as much as the design on the Miura Cb-1006 - and I simply don't understand why Endo didn't keep their famous name and used it in their first line of irons and golf gear. This is a mystery to me :tsg_smilie_whistle:

I'll have no chance of getting a good used price for a set of Epon irons because only asian people and freaks like us in here will know that these irons are expensive and not something you buy in your local K-mart.

It doesn't even say Epon on the Type J irons, but only Technica pro.....what the hell are they thinking... :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Miura has stronger name and will be a bit easier to get a good price for a set of used irons when that time comes. I change my irons often and therefore also sell used irons often.

Claus,

I do not know definately where the CB 1006's are forged, I have done a lot of research and still cannot find a definate answer. Nobody has, so far, suggested that this model is forged in the new facility in Taiwan, in fact everyone that I have spoken to says that because they are theorectically 'Japan only' they must be forged at Himeja, perhaps one of our more knowledgeable colleagues here at TSG will have the answer.

Your thoughts on the type 'J's match my own, thats why I opted for the Miura's, I find that there is something more aesthetically pleasing about the satin finish. The CB 1006's have exactly the same look and profile throughout the set, the short irons do not have the bulk, bulbous sole found in some other Miura designs, this was another reason for my choice, as I have nearly always played with proper blades ( Hogan, Miz 33's, Maxfli Aussie Blades etc) and just cannot get on with the wide soled offerings which dominate the OEM marketplace. having said that the narrow sole of the CB 1006's does need extra care in winter conditions, a poor swing will result in a digging, fat shot and a huge divot! Get it right though and they are wonderful - just as it should be!

Hey hey Nick,

Do you happen to know for a fact where Miura forges the Cb-1006 - in Japan or Taiwan ?

Do the shorter irons have the same look as the longer irons in the set or are they rounder and more bulky - this is an unfortunate thing about many of the asian produced irons, bulky short irons (9 & PW)......

I like satin irons, and the Epons are made of shiny chrom like the retail Mizunos - I don't fancy that :tsg_smiley_no:

Not sure I like the head design on the Epon Type J as much as the design on the Miura Cb-1006 - and I simply don't understand why Endo didn't keep their famous name and used it in their first line of irons and golf gear. This is a mystery to me :tsg_smilie_whistle:

I'll have no chance of getting a good used price for a set of Epon irons because only asian people and freaks like us in here will know that these irons are expensive and not something you buy in your local K-mart.

It doesn't even say Epon on the Type J irons, but only Technica pro.....what the hell are they thinking... :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

Miura has stronger name and will be a bit easier to get a good price for a set of used irons when that time comes. I change my irons often and therefore also sell used irons often.

Claus,

I do not know definately where the CB 1006's are forged, I have done a lot of research and still cannot find a definate answer. Nobody has, so far, suggested that this model is forged in the new facility in Taiwan, in fact everyone that I have spoken to says that because they are theorectically 'Japan only' they must be forged at Himeja, perhaps one of our more knowledgeable colleagues here at TSG will have the answer.

Your thoughts on the type 'J's match my own, thats why I opted for the Miura's, I find that there is something more aesthetically pleasing about the satin finish. The CB 1006's have exactly the same look and profile throughout the set, the short irons do not have the bulk, bulbous sole found in some other Miura designs, this was another reason for my choice, as I have nearly always played with proper blades ( Hogan, Miz 33's, Maxfli Aussie Blades etc) and just cannot get on with the wide soled offerings which dominate the OEM marketplace. having said that the narrow sole of the CB 1006's does need extra care in winter conditions, a poor swing will result in a digging, fat shot and a huge divot! Get it right though and they are wonderful - just as it should be!

Hey Nick,

I haven't realised that you must be the same Nick that I have "spoken to" via PM at the BSG forum.

Now I know for sure that you are the same person....hello Nick :tsg_smilie_wink:

I would really like for someone with the proper knowledge and right connections to examine, if the Miura Cb-1006 and Cb-301 for that matter are in fact forged in Taiwan or in Japan ?

Hey hey Nick,

FYI......Does say EPON on the hosel I believe.

Yes Claus it is me, same as on BSG and WRX! As a club Ho I am always searching the forums for info, knowledge and who knows, yet more golf equipment - sometimes I just can't help myself!

Come on TSG'ers put us out of our misery and confirm where Miura are forging their new CB 1006's.

Nick

Hey Nick,

I haven't realised that you must be the same Nick that I have "spoken to" via PM at the BSG forum.

Now I know for sure that you are the same person....hello Nick :tsg_smilie_wink:

I would really like for someone with the proper knowledge and right connections to examine, if the Miura Cb-1006 and Cb-301 for that matter are in fact forged in Taiwan or in Japan ?

Yes Claus it is me, same as on BSG and WRX! As a club Ho I am always searching the forums for info, knowledge and who knows, yet more golf equipment - sometimes I just can't help myself!

Come on TSG'ers put us out of our misery and confirm where Miura are forging their new CB 1006's.

Nick

Just heard from an anonymous source that Miura might be forging all their new irons in Taiwan :tsg_smilie_confused:

This is NOT good news for this highly respected brand - they can in theory make the same quality of forging in Taiwan as they do in Japan, but Japan is the center of technology for great forged irons, and for a brand like Miura to move their forgings plant to other countries could degrade the brand in the long run and make golf ho's like us consider buying other brand of irons next time we HO a new set :atsg_logo_anim:

I must say that I still think the Miura irons I've owned played softer and better than any retail Mizuno iron I've tested, and as such, this still makes Miura irons great and way better than 95% of the other forged competitors on the market. But I still would like my Miura to be Japan forged and NOT Taiwan forged :tsg_smiley_japan:

Edited by Claus

I agree entirely, but I have read somewhere that Katsuhiro Miura has stated that he will personally oversee the Taiwan forging facility, that exactly the same processes will be followed and the raw materials will be the same :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

I can understand the need for Miura to develop additional production facilities, my understanding is that the Himeja plant is not large and there was no room for expansion. The move to producing Miura branded products as opposed to producing custom spec heads for the OEM's appears to have been too successfull, as the Miura reputation grows and more of us ho's spread the word the demand has outgrown the Himeja plants production capacity.

The important thing is that the facility in Taiwan is a Miura facility and not a sub contract operation, that the legendary Miura quality is maintained, if my new CB 1006's are an example we have nothing to fear, they are definately up to the usual Miura quality, feel, finish etc, I can compare them to the CB201's and to the Tour Blades owned by a friend ( he got me hooked on Miura), they are simply the best :atsg_logo_anim: !

Just heard from an anonymous source that Miura might be forging all their new irons in Taiwan :tsg_smilie_confused:

This is NOT good news for this highly respected brand - they can in theory make the same quality of forging in Taiwan as they do in Japan, but Japan is the center of technology for great forged irons, and for a brand like Miura to move their forgings plant to other countries could degrade the brand in the long run and make golf ho's like us consider buying other brand of irons next time we HO a new set :atsg_logo_anim:

I must say that I still think the Miura irons I've owned played softer and better than any retail Mizuno iron I've tested, and as such, this still makes Miura irons great and way better than 95% of the other forged competitors on the market. But I still would like my Miura to be Japan forged and NOT Taiwan forged :tsg_smiley_japan:

I agree entirely, but I have read somewhere that Katsuhiro Miura has stated that he will personally oversee the Taiwan forging facility, that exactly the same processes will be followed and the raw materials will be the same :tsg_smiley_laughatyou:

I can understand the need for Miura to develop additional production facilities, my understanding is that the Himeja plant is not large and there was no room for expansion. The move to producing Miura branded products as opposed to producing custom spec heads for the OEM's appears to have been too successfull, as the Miura reputation grows and more of us ho's spread the word the demand has outgrown the Himeja plants production capacity.

The important thing is that the facility in Taiwan is a Miura facility and not a sub contract operation, that the legendary Miura quality is maintained, if my new CB 1006's are an example we have nothing to fear, they are definately up to the usual Miura quality, feel, finish etc, I can compare them to the CB201's and to the Tour Blades owned by a friend ( he got me hooked on Miura), they are simply the best :atsg_logo_anim: !

If Miura will continue the same forging tradition in Taiwan, I can respect it - but what often happens when companies move abroad to save money, is that the quality control and quality of craftmnaship takes a step down and not up :tsg_smiley_no:

But if the Cb-1006 irons are indeed produced and forged in Taiwan, Miura must have done something right when he moved some of his mass production plant to Taiwan.

I've owned both the Cb-201 and now the Cb-301. I can conclude that the Cb-301 plays and seem to be softer than the Cb-201. The word is that the international Miura stuff, like the Cb-201 and Cb-301 supposedly should not be of the same high quality as the stuff Miura launches for the Japanese and Asian market. This might be rumours and if the Cb-1006, which is an asian only product, is also forged in Taiwan - I really can't see what the difference in the international Miura stuff and the Asisn Miura stuff should be :tsg_smilie_whistle:

How would you compare the Cb-201 to your Cb-1006 irons in terms of feel, forgiveness and overall clubhead design, Nick ?

I personally like the EPON type J, best forging around and if you guys wanna get into it i can explain why.

In regards to Miura, they are taking rods of carbon steel melting it and pressing it as a forging. Miura uses spin welded hosels, you can try to figure out the answer why on your own but in my opinion spin welded hosels make the club feel less rewarding at impact, hold up longer to lie and lofts being bent on the range and saves them tens of thousands of dollars in tooling costs. Its always been this way and imo its a way to cut corners so they dont pay tooling on every loft/shape.

The most expensive most high quality foundry an OEM can use is ENDO, it costs more than factories in Japan due to the process and what they are able to achive with their technology.

For my game currrently EPON Type x custom fitted by the TSG custom department - Yum.

That would be an interesting set to compare to the Gauge ccbs!

I personally like the EPON type J, best forging around and if you guys wanna get into it i can explain why.

In regards to Miura, they are taking rods of carbon steel melting it and pressing it as a forging. Miura uses spin welded hosels, you can try to figure out the answer why on your own but in my opinion spin welded hosels make the club feel less rewarding at impact, hold up longer to lie and lofts being bent on the range and saves them tens of thousands of dollars in tooling costs. Its always been this way and imo its a way to cut corners so they dont pay tooling on every loft/shape.

The most expensive most high quality foundry an OEM can use is ENDO, it costs more than factories in Japan due to the process and what they are able to achive with their technology.

I would really like a detailled explanation as to WHY Endo makes such a great forging.

This subject really matters to me, but I find it difficult to search for detailed information about Japanese forgings versus the rest of world forgings on the internet (maybe I don't know how to search in the rigth places)

The irons Endo has forged for Bridgestone and Titleist have always seemed more clicky than Mizuno forgings, not soft and silky smooth. Therefore it puzzles me to hear that Endo makes the best forgings there is.

I would really like to learn something about the way they forge irons in Japan and why this forging is so superior to other forgings. Which company forges the Homna beres Tw901 irons ?

Does Mizuno ONLY forge their irons in Japan or have they also moved some of their business to Taiwan or China, Chris - if you know this the please inlighten me - I'm all ears :tsg_smiley_yes:

This subject does really interest me highly !

If only the Epon Type J was in satin and NOT in bright shiny chrome, then I would consider buying the Epon irons. And if only they had used the Endo name on these irons and not Epon - then I may have had a chance of getting a proper used price for these irons, when that time comes. The way it is now, I'll have to be lucky just to get $200 for a used set of Epon irons on the european market (I'm from Europe)

Very few know of the Endo brand - and only golf geeks with interest in forgings, NOBODY in Europe knows anything about the Epon brand....nobody. Hell, I only know about Epon from this site. If these irons really are superior in every way and the forgings is the finest in the world, I may take the chance and buy them and accept the fact that I probably won't be able to get a fair used price for them - but only if these irons are SUPERIOR to Miura, Mizuno and Homna Beres irons. Is it possible to order a set of Epon type J in satin finish ?

Edited by Claus

Sorry, but is Endo NOT from Japan ?

If not then where is the Endo forging plant situated - Thailand or Korea ?

Do you know who else, but Miura, uses spin welded hosels to cut cost on the forging quality ?

Mizuno, Homna Beres, Tourstage, Srixon, Gauge Design/G-Field, PRGR ????

I only know Endo does forgings for a couple of the american big brands - Titleist the biggest probably, but I don't know which company forges for big asian brands like Homna Beres, Tourstage, Srixon, G-Field and PRGR ?

Edited by Claus

Sorry, but is Endo NOT from Japan ?

If not then where is the Endo forging plant situated - Thailand or Korea ?

Do you know who else, but Miura, uses spin welded hosels to cut cost on the forging quality ?

Mizuno, Homna Beres, Tourstage, Srixon, Gauge Design/G-Field, PRGR ????

I only know Endo does forgings for a couple of the american big brands - Titleist the biggest probably, but I don't know which company forges for big asian brands like Homna Beres, Tourstage, Srixon, G-Field and PRGR ?

Endo is in Japan, Thailand, and China. Their forging plant is in Thailand. Dont confuse having spin welded hosels with low quality, you can have high quality with it, its just Miura imo does it for 1 of 2 reasons. One, It saves them thousands so they dont have to purchase tooling on every loft in each set or two they want the irons to feel a tad more firm and prevent them from bending if you go to the range. The first reason makes the most sense.

Tooling from ultra high quality plants can run 10-15k each loft. most places in China will do it for 5k.

wish i knew how to get a used set of epons for 200 dollars. if you can find me a set, email me.

I smell a contest coming up.

Recently bought a used set of Epon Type J with the NS 1150 S shafts from someone in this forum.

Must say they are sweetest feeling irons I've used so far. Used to play with the old Miura Cavity backs first issued in the USA. Based on this comparison, the Type J's feel so much better. Distance-wise, I am longer by at least a club. Might be the right combination of head and shaft though.

Hello forum,

I'm in search for the best forged players cb iron.

I want the best combination of small clubhead, small offset, sweet forged soft feel, great classic simple design and the spice - forgiveness and workability combined (if this is possible :tsg_smiley_laughatyou: )

Thanks for your vote and help :atsg_logo_anim: :tsg_smilie_cool:

The CB-1006 looks exactly like a blade from address. Very thin topline and realtively thin sole. Buttery forged (Mizzy) not "thudy" (Endo).

And, available here at TSG. Worth a look.

The CB-1006 looks exactly like a blade from address. Very thin topline and realtively thin sole. Buttery forged (Mizzy) not "thudy" (Endo).

And, available here at TSG. Worth a look.

You have same opinion as I do when talking about how soft Miura's feel - they feel softer than retail MP Mizuno irons in my view - and you feel that way too. You also feel that the Endo forgings feel a bit clicky compared to Miura and Mizuno forgings and this is also my experience.

I get confused when Chris The TSG man tells me that Endo forgings are much softer than Miura, maybe because Miura uses spin welded hosels, which in Chris' opinion gives the Miura a more firm feel, which will make it harder to make the Miura's come out of lie and loft from hitting on hard range mats.

This is the totally opposite experience from the one we share - and I have to agree, that Chris has tested 1000 of irons more than I have....so why do we feel like Endo forgings are clicky and Miura forgings are soft and even softer than Mizuno forgings, when Miura uses spin welded hosels which should give the Miuras a firmer feel ??? :tsg_smilie_whistle: :tsg_smilie_confused: :tsg_smilie_whistle:

MUST KNOW WHY THIS IS SO :tsg_smilie_wah:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this