Sign in to follow this  
ClubHoUno

Poll: Best players forged CB irons ?

Which forged CB iron is the best of the best ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Only the best forged players cavityback iron is good enough for me !

• Miura Cb-1006
    • Epon Type J
    • G-Field Nc-1
    • Honma Beres Tw901
    • Tourstage X-Blade CB 2
    • Mizuno Mp-60/32 Satin custom_grind
    • Bridgestone J33 combo

Great news dave, Glad you are enjoyingf the new weapons. Im sorry to tell you that the handmades have not been in the bag in a while - i cannot bring myself you use them ----they are so darn pretty. So it looks liek they will never leave me lol! Hence the search for a set of gamers.....

However if your even in Ireland we can hook up and you can have a game with the greats!

How the game going - as TC says its a bit unexpected you playing at this time of yr!!!!!!

P1,

Believe it or not, just 2 weeks back we had a stretch of unreal temps for this time of year / 66*, 71*, 68*. It was crazy & exciting to say the least. We had a cold blast of arctic air @ the end of last week, but it warmed up again nicely to start this one, although it began raining on me this a.m. (just played 9) I noticed you picked up a set of 14's as well / did you go 770 or tb1000?

I couldn't be more pleased with my NC-1s. You really can't go wrong with any of the irons you're considering.

I've read through this entire thread. I too am very interested in this topic. For my money, I still have not found a better feeling club than some of the older Miura forged irons. I don't have any experience with the current offerings, but the older irons (both Miura branded and some of the Taylor Made offerings) have a feel unlike any other club I've ever hit. I've hit softer clubs (including the new Mizuno MP60's and 67's and older Endo forged Bridgestones), but the Miura has a feeling that is hard to describe. I've heard others explain it the same way that I'm about to, so I know that I'm not the only one that's experienced this.

Anyway, when hit pure a Miura iron has this feeling of the clubhead literally wrapping around the ball. It feel as if the ball stays on the clubhead about twice as long as it does with any other club I've ever hit. The feeling seems more predominant in the short irons than the long irons, but neverless I've never felt this with any other club period, regardless of manufacturer. It's that feeling that keeps me coming back to Miura's over and over again.

I would love to hit the new Epon offerings, but I'm not ready to pony up the $$ to ho a set. Also, I really can't stand those funky looking ferrules. I know I can easily change those, but they really look tacky to me. They seem like they would be distracting look at. I'm sure someone with Epons will say they aren't a problem, but they aren't for me.

I just received my Miura CB-1006's from Chris. They sure do look great. Especially with the Nippn 1150's, carbon weave ferrules and Iomic grips. I can't wait to try them. I'm leaving shorting for a CA trip and will play Pebble next wait with the new irons!! I'll post a review afterwards. The appearance is awesome if you like minimal offset and a thinner top line...very clean. They actually remind me somewhat of the TM300's.

I just received my Miura CB-1006's from Chris. They sure do look great. Especially with the Nippn 1150's, carbon weave ferrules and Iomic grips. I can't wait to try them. I'm leaving shorting for a CA trip and will play Pebble next wait with the new irons!! I'll post a review afterwards. The appearance is awesome if you like minimal offset and a thinner top line...very clean. They actually remind me somewhat of the TM300's.

Well you sure go for "types"--the J33s and 1006s are alot of the same "look"

I've read through this entire thread. I too am very interested in this topic. For my money, I still have not found a better feeling club than some of the older Miura forged irons. I don't have any experience with the current offerings, but the older irons (both Miura branded and some of the Taylor Made offerings) have a feel unlike any other club I've ever hit. I've hit softer clubs (including the new Mizuno MP60's and 67's and older Endo forged Bridgestones), but the Miura has a feeling that is hard to describe. I've heard others explain it the same way that I'm about to, so I know that I'm not the only one that's experienced this.

Anyway, when hit pure a Miura iron has this feeling of the clubhead literally wrapping around the ball. It feel as if the ball stays on the clubhead about twice as long as it does with any other club I've ever hit. The feeling seems more predominant in the short irons than the long irons, but neverless I've never felt this with any other club period, regardless of manufacturer. It's that feeling that keeps me coming back to Miura's over and over again.

I would love to hit the new Epon offerings, but I'm not ready to pony up the $$ to ho a set. Also, I really can't stand those funky looking ferrules. I know I can easily change those, but they really look tacky to me. They seem like they would be distracting look at. I'm sure someone with Epons will say they aren't a problem, but they aren't for me.

Edited by Duffer19

Hallo Claus!

Wie geht's ?

Wieviel Monaten schon vergangen und Du hast noch nichts entschieden? :tsg_smiley_putter2: I think you are german, you are so analytic and technical in making your club choice :-)

Forging Quality Outside Japan

I would like to add something here:

Taiwan is very close to Japan was was colonized by japanese for several years as well. If you go to Taiwan, it has somehow a mixed culture between chinese and japanese, Taiwanese also have a deep the kitsch culture like the japanese as well (Manga, Hello Kitty etc.) and usually used as test market for any japanese product.

(FYI: Taiwanese invented Graphite Shaft, early implementation actually for Tennis Rackets).

I would no wonder if Miura chooses Taiwan as his production site and I think there would be a very minor difference in quality if Miura builds the clubs in Japan.

For EPON I am not so sure, but Thailand has various metal forging for japanese high-end car accesoiries. Japanese has a strict quality control in their overseas manufacturing. It should be not an issue for you guys whether they are manufactured in Japan or any overseas Japan Plant.

Come on guys, THIS IS A GLOBALIZED ECONOMY NOW. Why a japanese club HAS to be built in Japan???? I don't understand it.

Do your Ipod also has to be built 100% in USA too?

Hallo Claus!

Wie geht's ?

Wieviel Monaten schon vergangen und Du hast noch nichts entschieden? :tsg_smiley_putter2: I think you are german, you are so analytic and technical in making your club choice :-)

Taiwan is very close to Japan was was colonized by japanese for several years as well. If you go to Taiwan, it has somehow a mixed culture between chinese and japanese, Taiwanese also have a deep the kitsch culture like the japanese as well (Manga, Hello Kitty etc.) and usually used as test market for any japanese product.

(FYI: Taiwanese invented Graphite Shaft, early implementation actually for Tennis Rackets).

I would no wonder if Miura chooses Taiwan as his production site and I think there would be a very minor difference in quality if Miura builds the clubs in Japan.

For EPON I am not so sure, but Thailand has various metal forging for japanese high-end car accesoiries. Japanese has a strict quality control in their overseas manufacturing. It should be not an issue for you guys whether they are manufactured in Japan or any overseas Japan Plant.

Come on guys, THIS IS A GLOBALIZED ECONOMY NOW. Why a japanese club HAS to be built in Japan???? I don't understand it.

Hey Vincenti :tsg_smilie_laugh:

Sorry I'm not german but danish - the small conuntry in between Sweden, Norway and Germany - so maybe I'm of german descent - but also have Swedish grandmother and Norwegian cousin :tsg_smiley_crazy:

But yes I analyse everything closely before I buy - and I find an interest in how golf gear are being manufactured. I do the same thing when buying cars, clothing, mobilephones and computers - my other hobbies.

I can't help it but this is how I am and goes about things.

I guess this is also why you see a lot of great quality products coming from Denmark, Sweden, Norway - and of course also Japan, Germany, Holland and Switzerland.

We simply like quality stuff :tsg_smilie_love:

Hey Vincenti :tsg_smiley_crazy:

Sorry I'm not german but danish - the small conuntry in between Sweden, Norway and Germany - so maybe I'm of german descent - but also have Swedish grandmother and Norwegian cousin :tsg_smiley_putter2:

But yes I analyse everything closely before I buy - and I find an interest in how golf gear are being manufactured. I do the same thing when buying cars, clothing, mobilephones and computers - my other hobbies.

I can't help it but this is how I am and goes about things.

I guess this is also why you see a lot of great quality products coming from Denmark, Sweden, Norway - and of course also Japan, Germany, Holland and Switzerland.

We simply like quality stuff :tsg_smilie_laugh:

Wow,

You must have a big fortune to have all expensive toys coming around you.

I live for 12 years in German, currently settling a business in Asia. Understand completely about the quality understatement :)

Long live Benz, Rolex, Honma, IKEA? and so forth ! :))))) Ehm..

Wow,

You must have a big fortune to have all expensive toys coming around you.

I live for 12 years in German, currently settling a business in Asia. Understand completely about the quality understatement :)

Long live Benz, Rolex, Honma, IKEA? and so forth ! :))))) Ehm..

UPS what's Ikea doing there?? Should have said Børge Mogensen or Vegner :tsg_smiley_rain:

Hvor bor du Claus?

Hallo Claus!

Wie geht's ?

Wieviel Monaten schon vergangen und Du hast noch nichts entschieden? :tsg_smilie_love: I think you are german, you are so analytic and technical in making your club choice :-)

Taiwan is very close to Japan was was colonized by japanese for several years as well. If you go to Taiwan, it has somehow a mixed culture between chinese and japanese, Taiwanese also have a deep the kitsch culture like the japanese as well (Manga, Hello Kitty etc.) and usually used as testmarket for any japanese product.

I agree that Taiwan is close to japan more so than most other countries and they do make quality golf clubs but lets take a look at other brands like Sony for example, The U.S product is made by Samsung and other factories outside of Japan. Their Japan Sony product is made 100% in Japan as you can track by serial numbers, There are guys that split hairs, program TV's and own stores that say the picture is better, they also cost a thousand bucks more. When brands make their product elsewhere its to save money/increase profits and lower the cost for the consumer. Only in japan you can find a 40 thousand dollar 2160P TV. Another thing is the entire Japanese economy is a test market for the world. They are the early adopters and creators of cutting edge technolgy.

The new Black Gold Shaft in America, we have people willing to pay more for the Japanese made ones. Thats right, Japanese made black gold shafts.

Endo has a Taiwan, Thailand, China and a Japan factory guess where the best players clubs are built for the U.S and Japanese Tour?

Its not the location, Its the people and their attention to detail, its the quality of materials used and the extensive training each person goes through to be considered a professional of their trade. Attitude, Work Ethic, and Pride are also important factors to the Japanese.

Miura is doing as all brands do when output is increased, they must manufacture elsewhere as its more cost effective for them. But forget where its made, if you had to choose between spin welded hosels or one piece what would you pick? They are already cutting corners in that sense, Moving output to Taiwan could be just another way of doing so. Say Mr. Miura works at his new Taiwan plant, do you think all of his Japanese trained staff will move to taiwan and work there too? Im guessing his son needs their best staff to man the Himeji plant.

If you had a choice of Miuras that said Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan which would you pick? Dont get me wrong Taiwan has awesome plants and all but its honestly my second choice.

We should all care where our items are made, Leather, Watches, Natural Foods, Vitamins, Cars, Clothing, etc..

Carrera Italy is known for having the best white Marble, thats where I would go for that, The Swiss make killer watches and thats where I would go too. It just so happens that the Japanese make the best golf club.

Japan is:

* Asia's trendsetter

* Second-highest GDP in the world

* Second-highest purchasing power and consumption levels in the world after the U.S.

* Efficient, state-of-the-art transportation and communications systems

* Households with computers:

Japan 65.7%

U.S.A. 61.8%

* Households with internet access:

Japan 88.1%

U.S. 54.6%

* Cellular telephone subscribers:

Japan 85.1%

U.S. 54.6%

Sorry to take you guys off track but they also have the worlds largest strategic reserve of plutonium :tsg_smiley_skull:

If your here to dream, dream big! If your here to buy, buy the best!

My Vote is revised, The Epon Type S with NS1150's are the way to go.

I agree that Taiwan is close to japan more so than most other countries and they do make quality golf clubs but lets take a look at other brands like Sony for example, The U.S product is made by Samsung and other factories outside of Japan. Their Japan Sony product is made 100% in Japan as you can track by serial numbers, There are guys that split hairs, program TV's and own stores that say the picture is better, they also cost a thousand bucks more. When brands make their product elsewhere its to save money/increase profits and lower the cost for the consumer. Only in japan you can find a 40 thousand dollar 2160P TV. Another thing is the entire Japanese economy is a test market for the world. They are the early adopters and creators of cutting edge technolgy.

The new Black Gold Shaft in America, we have people willing to pay more for the Japanese made ones. Thats right, Japanese made black gold shafts.

Endo has a Taiwan, Thailand, China and a Japan factory guess where the best players clubs are built for the U.S and Japanese Tour?

Its not the location, Its the people and their attention to detail, its the quality of materials used and the extensive training each person goes through to be considered a professional of their trade. Attitude, Work Ethic, and Pride are also important factors to the Japanese.

Miura is doing as all brands do when output is increased, they must manufacture elsewhere as its more cost effective for them. But forget where its made, if you had to choose between spin welded hosels or one piece what would you pick? They are already cutting corners in that sense, Moving output to Taiwan could be just another way of doing so. Say Mr. Miura works at his new Taiwan plant, do you think all of his Japanese trained staff will move to taiwan and work there too? Im guessing his son needs their best staff to man the Himeji plant.

If you had a choice of Miuras that said Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan which would you pick? Dont get me wrong Taiwan has awesome plants and all but its honestly my second choice.

We should all care where our items are made, Leather, Watches, Natural Foods, Vitamins, Cars, Clothing, etc..

Carrera Italy is known for having the best white Marble, thats where I would go for that, The Swiss make killer watches and thats where I would go too. It just so happens that the Japanese make the best golf club.

Japan is:

* Asia's trendsetter

* Second-highest GDP in the world

* Second-highest purchasing power and consumption levels in the world after the U.S.

* Efficient, state-of-the-art transportation and communications systems

* Households with computers:

Japan 65.7%

U.S.A. 61.8%

* Households with internet access:

Japan 88.1%

U.S. 54.6%

* Cellular telephone subscribers:

Japan 85.1%

U.S. 54.6%

Sorry to take you guys off track but they also have the worlds largest strategic reserve of plutonium :tsg_smilie_love:

If your here to dream, dream big! If your here to buy, buy the best!

My Vote is revised, The Epon Type S with NS1150's are the way to go.

Pretty much the Mizuno story, and that has be going on around the world for tha last 15 - 20 years. We all know Tigers trusted Mizuno irons went into the Titleist bag the day he turned pro and were there for a considerable period whilst the Titleist guys worked on copying them. When the Titleist irons went in the bag, guess where they were forged??

My view is the Japanese attention to detail with their golf clubs borders on bizzar. That said, the attention to detail they demand appeals to my Virgo star sign. It also appeals to all my brother and sister HOs on the site.

In summary

Golf clubs - Japanese

Watches - Swiss

Bourbon - Lynchburg, Tenesee

I'm not sure where my new Miura CB-1006's are forged, but they are 'pure' and the grind is perfect. Whether they are Japanese forged or Japanese techiques forged in Taiwan, but the quality is still there. Thanks again Chris for building me such an awesome set of irons.....

I've been screwing around with a set of X-Forgeds for the past few days (VERY nice irons, BTW). In any case, they are much softer than other Endo forged clubs I've hit. These feel much more like Miura than the Endo-forged 670 tour issued blades I have, for example.

Further to Chris' highly-observant point that Miura is not Endo and Endo is not Endo.

I now have the Epon J's with Aldila NV 105's and the Technica II's (predecessor to the Type S) with NS Pro 1150's, and having been a club "enthusiast" for darn near 30 years, must tell you that either set or both are the finest forgings I've ever had in my hands. This is subjective in a way because feel is such a sensory thing and none of our senses is the same. So, all I can say is that I've played every Mizuno blade since the MP 4's (including the ugliest club of all time, the MP 8), every Miura for the last 15 years including the Taylor Made versions, every Tourstage since the MR 23's came out, and while I could go on, nothing and I mean nothing has ever felt like either set of the Epons. If you haven't tried them and you're a club nut, you must. If you don't like them, particularly if it's the Type S, I'll probably buy them from you.

Edited by gth1017

I've been screwing around with a set of X-Forgeds for the past few days (VERY nice irons, BTW). In any case, they are much softer than other Endo forged clubs I've hit. These feel much more like Miura than the Endo-forged 670 tour issued blades I have, for example.

Further to Chris' highly-observant point that Miura is not Endo and Endo is not Endo.

ive played most of the japanese offerings and i have to agree the new callaway xforged is a very nice club, not very forgiving, but super solid and very satisfying when pured !!!

Guys I would like to correct a point that i made that was not accurate. Miura doesnt have a location in Taiwan, they are only building their woods there.

In regards to the X-Forged by Callaway, yup Endo Forged for the USA Market! That was Roger Cleveland's secret recipe,....Endo!

Here is a curve ball for you guys, feel comes from:

1. The grade of steel used.

2. The Sole Design and Bounce.

3. The Loft of the club.

I would have thought 1. and 2., plus the way the plating layers are deposited and what materials they use for them. Whether it's the sound presented as a result of all of these things, the feel in the fingertips, or a bit of both, I am not sure....

my 5 cent answer!

Guys I would like to correct a point that i made that was not accurate. Miura doesnt have a location in Taiwan, they are only building their woods there.

In regards to the X-Forged by Callaway, yup Endo Forged for the USA Market! That was Roger Cleveland's secret recipe,....Endo!

3. The Loft of the club.

So all Miura irons are still being forged in Japan or somewhere else?

Great observation on feel Chris.....what about forging process (density of metal), is that covered in point 1?

3. The Loft of the club.

I will have to say 1 in particular and 2 also.......but what about the finish of the steel - satin, raw and so on. The finish can also make a club feel softer or harder in feel.

The Mizuno Mp-R wedges come in two finishes, Black Nickel and satin chrome. Both are made form 1020 carbon steel and forged. But I still feel like the Black Nickel finish feels somewhat harder than the satin Steel version.........so the finish also matters when evaluating the softness and feel of a forged club !

Original Nike splits were pretty good.

Thanks for all the forging information, by the way. Fascinating. But, if I had to make a score to win the Fedex, I would still take my MP33s over anything else I have played.

Being in California, I'm not totally hip on the latest turn outs from Japan ( well, I am thanks to being a member here, but I can't afford to try everything out truth be told! ). I do however have a brand new set of J33 CB's that have been sitting in my garage for almost a year ... the reason they are sitting there is because just as I recieved them, I got a chance to get one of the first sets ever of the r7 Forged from Chris last August. I LOVE these irons ... as much as I have a lovely set of back up irons in the 'stones, I hope I never hit them I am so thrilled with the r7 forged.

Also consider the Maruman Conductor Power Forged irons. These are the latelst release of Maruman in their efforts to make a combeback. They are produced by Endo and the long irons have an undercut cavity while the short irons are sweet. These are the softest irons I have ever tried (must be a combination with the NS Pro shaft). The sole grind is something to admire also. Fat shots go pretty far. Here is the site:

http://www.maruman.co.jp/english/golf/cond...ctor/index.html

I also did a mini-review elsewhere in this forum:

http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/index.php?showtopic=25116

Hope you can add this to your shortlist of irons you want to try out.

I just realized I have never voted in this poll..

the only irons listed above I have not hit are theHonma Beres Tw901

The EPON type J's, for a 2-3 handicap are the best irons

IMO

I am new to posting comments but I must say that I have recently purchased the Fourteen TC-770 irons from Chris. He has been extremely helpful. My current index is a 2.4 under GHIN. I have had the muira CB-1006 (Nippon 1150) and I currently have the Epon Type J's (Shimada shafts). Without a doubt, in my comparison and opinion, the Fourteen TC-770 are the softest and best iron I have ever played with. Nothing agianst the CB-1006 and Type J's but these irons are more forgiving than the CB-1006 and softer than the Type J's.

With regards to looks, the TC-770 are much cleaner with sharper lines than the Type J's. I was skeptical at first but I am really glad I purchased them. I also have the Fourteen wedges wich are also incrediblt soft and the purest looking wedges I have ever had.

I hope this helps in search for the best CB irons for a low handicapper

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this