R7 TP (US) Irons vs R7 Forge Irons (Japan)

pdt

Have anyone tried both sets. I'd like to hear your feedback on these sets. I'm debating between the two.

I had both clubs at the same time and played both sets on different occasions to compare. Personally there is no comparison. Forged are much better feeling, more solid on contact. They do not have that weird clanking sound, I don't know if it is just a TM thing or if it is a cast iron thing but the TP sound hallow at contact. The forged seem to not have as much bounce, nicer feel going into the turf after contact. Looks are obvious, I think if they took off the plastic thing on the back of the TP it would be okay but the forged just look perfect. Per the japanese TM website the forged are supposed to be more forgiving too. Offsets are pretty similar, very little. If you need to tweek your lies then of course forged are more adapted to that while cast have a better chance at snapping if you need to go 3* plus up or down. I think the forged are smaller than the TP's from what I remember. Didn't see much difference in distance or in forgiveness.

• 1 month later...

Hello all...

I'm new in this forum and I like it very much, it's just awesome...

Like u see in my signature, I play the Taylor Made Rac TP Combos!

Before I found this forum and homepage, I got near with the new Taylor Made R7 TP irons! But since I saw here this R7 forged LE irons, I'm very indecided which club to choose! Tomorrow I will test the r7 tp. Unfortunatly I can't test the r7 forged, so I need to get as many informations as possible... Compared to my irons (Combos) now, I would like to have some easiers one!

Of course the r7 tp is available for 550$, the r7 forged costs double that much...

I hope you could help me to decide which club to choose!

Greats

Marc

Hello all...

I'm new in this forum and I like it very much, it's just awesome...

Like u see in my signature, I play the Taylor Made Rac TP Combos!

Before I found this forum and homepage, I got near with the new Taylor Made R7 TP irons! But since I saw here this R7 forged LE irons, I'm very indecided which club to choose! Tomorrow I will test the r7 tp. Unfortunatly I can't test the r7 forged, so I need to get as many informations as possible... Compared to my irons (Combos) now, I would like to have some easiers one!

Of course the r7 tp is available for 550$, the r7 forged costs double that much...

I hope you could help me to decide which club to choose!

Greats

Marc

I have already decided for you, the R7 Forged! :tsg_smiley_drool:

Chris, that has to be the quickest and most direct answer you've given on club selection :tsg_smiley_drool: . If I was doing more work like I was supposed to though, I wouldn't know or have time to comment lol.

M@rc, as you just joined, search through the forums a bit for info on the R7 forged. You won't find as much about the R7 TP because

1. The guys here play more JDM/Japanese equipment and

2. The R7 TP and R7 forged are very different clubs.

R7 TP is a nice forgiving club with okay feel for something cast. The R7 Forged has a softer feel and will allow you to shape shots a bit more imo. Both will be more forgiving than your current set though.

Thanks for your quick answers...

@ TourSpecGolfer: For you it's easy to decide :D

Chris, that has to be the quickest and most direct answer you've given on club selection :tsg_smiley_drool: . If I was doing more work like I was supposed to though, I wouldn't know or have time to comment lol.

M@rc, as you just joined, search through the forums a bit for info on the R7 forged. You won't find as much about the R7 TP because

1. The guys here play more JDM/Japanese equipment and

2. The R7 TP and R7 forged are very different clubs.

R7 TP is a nice forgiving club with okay feel for something cast. The R7 Forged has a softer feel and will allow you to shape shots a bit more imo. Both will be more forgiving than your current set though.

I already searched in the forum for the r7 forged and read a lot of it, but what I was interrested in, r7 tp vs. r7 forged, didn't came a lot results. Maybe it's because like you sad the guys here play more Japanese staff.

I know that choosing a club you don't have to look at the price, but here the different is extreme :( I nearly consider the R7 TP as a cheap iron set. In Price/Performance the r7 tp IMO is better...

Still I can't decide!!!

marc

Forget the Taylormades and buy the Epon Type "S"

You can thank me later. :tsg_smiley_drool:

Well, if we're introducing other options, I'd have to mention two more irons then. :tsg_smiley_drool:

The Fourteen TC-770 forged (similar in forgivness but softer and imho of a higher quality than the R7 Forged) or the Tourstage ViQ forged (great feel, easy to work, yet very, very forgiving).

While they don't fit the all Taylor Made bag, I think that the Fourteen, Tourstage, and Epon irons are all better clubs.

Hello...

No, I'm not considering other club than the r7 forged or the r7 tp ;)

I just like Taylor Made :D

Most people here would not touch domestic models and I am no exception so it is definitely R7 forged without a doubt.

And if you are considering the Superquad, you should consider the Japanese version also. :tsg_smiley_drool:

Edited by Duffer19

Most people here would not touch domestic models and I am no exception so it is definitely R7 forged without a doubt.

And if you are considering the Superquad, you should consider the Japanese version also. :tsg_smiley_drool:

Ah, so you call them domestic clubs?? :D

Are the r7 foged really that better than the r7 TPs?

Still now I have the normal quad 425cc... What's the diffrent between the japanese and the normal superquad?

Ah, so you call them domestic clubs?? :D

Are the r7 foged really that better than the r7 TPs?

Still now I have the normal quad 425cc... What's the diffrent between the japanese and the normal superquad?

As said before, once you play Japanese forged irons, it is that difficult to go back especially when you have the game (being a 9 handicap). I actually don't know whether the R7 forged is made in Japan or not but the R7 TP is likely made in China. As to the Superquad woods, the difference is in the shafts and shaft options. The Japanese Superquad TP, you can get Quattro Tech, White Board and real Rombax as shaft options

Today I treid for the first time the r7 Tps, and I really don't like them...

My rac tp combos, of course they are less forgiving but you know when you miss a shot! On the r7 TPs IMO you hear to much the "click" when you hit the ball! I don't know for what the "TP" stands on this irons. I'm kind of disapointed in this club. I think I will go for the japanese r7 forged, if I find them in a good shape and good price...

Hello...

Could someone of you please explane me why the r7 forged are more "offsettet" in the short irons, and less in the long irons! Because normaly it's the opposit like r7 tp (us)...

R7 TP (US): http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_deta...=specifications

r7 forged (japan): http://japan.taylormadegolf.com/product_de...=specifications

That's not offset in the forged, It's face progression. Similar offset on both.

Are you sure about that? I still think this is the offset.... And what's face progression?

Edited by M@rc

Are you sure about that? I still think this is the offset.... And what's face progression?

I had the same issue when I was buying my R7's, face progression means that they measure from the center of the shaft to the leading edge of the shaft. Therefore the shorter irons which have less offset will have a higher measured number than a 2 iron which is closer to the center of the shaft. The offsets for standard R7 and R7 Forged are very similar.

I had the same issue when I was buying my R7's, face progression means that they measure from the center of the shaft to the leading edge of the shaft. Therefore the shorter irons which have less offset will have a higher measured number than a 2 iron which is closer to the center of the shaft. The offsets for standard R7 and R7 Forged are very similar.

Thanks, now I know what it means...

I'm still watching in the "Buy, Sell and Trade" thread for used or mint r7 forged... Because new ones they are a little to expensive!

http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/index.php?showtopic=24694

marc

• 5 months later...
Thanks, now I know what it means...

I'm still watching in the "Buy, Sell and Trade" thread for used or mint r7 forged... Because new ones they are a little to expensive!

http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/index.php?showtopic=24694

marc

I just received my R7 Forged today and went to the range and here's my first impression. First of all, my R7 TP's have DGS300 shafts and the R7 Forged are Nippon 950 stiff. The lie/loft are standard on both sets. Anyway, the R7 Forged definitely feel like forged when hit solid or mis-hit. They look great but the distance and trajectory were the same as the TP's. I will provide more info as I get some more playing time on this clubs. At the moment, I think the TP's are a better choice based on durability and cost. The R7 Forged will replace my TP's but only because they're more rare.

Edited by bllefkay

I just received my R7 Forged today and went to the range and here's my first impression. First of all, my R7 TP's have DGS300 shafts and the R7 Forged are Nippon 950 stiff. The lie/loft are standard on both sets. Anyway, the R7 Forged definitely feel like forged when hit solid or mis-hit. They look great but the distance and trajectory were the same as the TP's. I will provide more info as I get some more playing time on this clubs. At the moment, I think the TP's are a better choice based on durability and cost. The R7 Forged will replace my TP's but only because they're more rare.

Congrats on your new irons and first post! (^_^)

Besides distance and trajectory, one thing you should test which should be the stronger suit of the R7 forged would be workability/control. Try and work some shots and check the feel.

The two shafts you're using are also very different, the 950's should give a slightly higher trajectory, and distance will depend a lot on the lofts between the two.

Give it some time, one range session may give you initial impressions but playing them more will allow you to learn more about their strong and weak points.

The R7 Forged definitely does look better though (^_^).

Congrats on your new irons and first post! (^_^)

Besides distance and trajectory, one thing you should test which should be the stronger suit of the R7 forged would be workability/control. Try and work some shots and check the feel.

The two shafts you're using are also very different, the 950's should give a slightly higher trajectory, and distance will depend a lot on the lofts between the two.

Give it some time, one range session may give you initial impressions but playing them more will allow you to learn more about their strong and weak points.

The R7 Forged definitely does look better though (^_^).

I agree with everything you've said. No doubt I have to give these irons a little time for an accurate assessment. They look great compared to my old TP's and I demand they perform better since they're from Japan. I buy my cars from Japanese makers because of their quality and I had the same high expection on the performance of these clubs. We'll see after a few weeks and I'll post an update.

I agree with everything you've said. No doubt I have to give these irons a little time for an accurate assessment. They look great compared to my old TP's and I demand they perform better since they're from Japan. I buy my cars from Japanese makers because of their quality and I had the same high expection on the performance of these clubs. We'll see after a few weeks and I'll post an update.

Unfortunately no one knows for sure that the R7 Forged are actually forged, finished and made in Japan - I tried to contact Taylor Made regarding this issue a month ago, but as expected, they would not tell where they are forged and finished. Endo does not forge nor finish them. Miura does not either. Mizuno for sure does not. Srixon neither.

So there's a good chance they are finished and forged in China or Taiwan - but they can still feel awesome and perform fantastic for you.

I also have own the cast TM R7 Tp (a fantastic set of cast irons BTW), and they are for sure cast in a cheep Chinese or Taiwanese plant - but they still perform great.

Just felt I had to tell you that nobody really knows the true origin of the R7 Forged irons. Not trying to degrade your new set of fantastic irons, just telling you the truth about their origin. Taylor Made guys are the only one who knows the real origin of the R7 Forged irons - and chances are, that they are NOT forged nor finished in Japan, but in China or Taiwan.

I just got myself a set of r7's forged from TSG and I can tell you regardless of where these are forged they are softer than my Tourstage ViQ. They both have Project X shafts and the look of these irons are almost perfect.They are not as forgiving or long because of the size and lofts but will definately be in the bag next spring.They feel ten times better than the r7TP's with the same shaft.

Hi PDT,

I have the clubs you are considering and it's really not a very complex issue.

Both heads are easy to hit long and straight and there's not much real world difference in their workability after just a round or two to get a feel for them.

The TPs are slightly more forgiving and the Japan edition heads feel better and look better, as you would expect .

In the grand scheme of iron heads in general, both heads are well made and are both easy and very pleasant indeed to use in getting the ball where you want it to go.

I would say they are both at or near the top of their respective classes of cast cavity players iron and forged cavity players iron. As an example, IMHO, the TPs are better than the Ping S58 and the Forged are better than the Callaway X-Forged - possibly their closest comparable rivals.

The Forged and the TPs both turned out to be better in feel, consistency and control than I thought they would and I would be very happy to play either in any conditions.

One thing about the "origin" of the Japan version hang up. Forget it. They are darned good, wherever they come from. We know who forges the X-Forged and the Srixons and these TM Forged heads are better. So who cares who forged them; in this case it has no bearing on how well they play. Go out and use them to make a score, rather than bragging points in the club house, and you will see what I am talking about.

Good luck.

Milo.