?s on Mizuno JPX E500 irons

Randy

Currently playing a custom set of Mizuno irons (MP27 4-7 and MP33 8-PW). Absolutely love the feel of these, but could always use a little more forgiveness. Questions I have on the Mizuno JPX E500 irons are:

- How is the feel compared to the MP27/MP33?

- Are they more forgiving than the MP27?

- Can the lofts be adjusted 2 degrees weaker and if so, would it affect the playability any? 44 degree PW doesn't fit with my wedges (51, 56 and 61), which I really like and plan on keeping.

Any feedback on my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

- Can the lofts be adjusted 2 degrees weaker and if so, would it affect the playability any? 44 degree PW doesn't fit with my wedges (51, 56 and 61), which I really like and plan on keeping.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing them yet, but from feedback in all the testing magazines, the E500 is one of Mizuno's best feeling irons ever, especially since they were forged by Endo. So we're talking soft and a high quality forged head.

They are very forgiving, Mizuno says they are good for mid handicap to scratch golfers with a very large sweetspot. In Golf Digest Japan's recent tests, they ranked in highly in the forgiveness factor, falling behind only game improvement type JDM irons when it came to forgiveness.

2 degrees weaker is not a problem. It would not affect the iron's integrity or playability in anyway.

gocchin,

Thanks for the response. Sounds like they are just what I am looking for. Have an itchy finger to pull the trigger and buy a set from Chris, but maybe I will sleep on it one night.

Randy

Chris, is currently using these.

Good enough for the master......

I'm currently debating between picking up a pair of these or the Fourteen TC-770's.

Chris, do you have any feedback/comparisons you could provide between the two? I noticed while searching through the archives that you have sampled the 770's in the past. Which one do you consider more forgiving? Which of the two is more of a player's cb?

While Chris is preparing his response, I will tell you that the TC-770 is one of my favourite 'players' cb's. They feel as good or better than anything else I have tried to date, and I think they are pretty forgiving. That is relative though, as other larger cavity backs like the TC-770 cast or ViQ forged are more forgiving.

As for the Mizunos, I have not hit them yet. From what I have read here and heard from people in Japan who have tried them out, the E500 is indeed very forgiving (probably more so than the TC-770 forged). If you are on the fence and were after some extra forgiveness, the E500 would probably be the better choice.

Hi, i'm currently playing mx-23 and was thinking of upgrading sometime soon. i was debating between the jpx's and the mp-27's. anyone have thoughts on differences or preferences (ie which will be more forgiving, feel better, more desirable as far as future value etc.). thanks.

Currently playing a custom set of Mizuno irons (MP27 4-7 and MP33 8-PW). Absolutely love the feel of these, but could always use a little more forgiveness. Questions I have on the Mizuno JPX E500 irons are:

Any feedback on my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

Hey Randy,

- Feel is a little better imo, soft yet different. very hard to explain.

- Yes more forgiving for sure than the MP-27

- Yes the Lofts can be custom ordered and you will get Y stamp ferrules if you go that route

I like these irons but they are not in the bag at the moment, sorry gotta change the sig. I have a set of The Yururi Flat Back Blades with graphite shafts im working very well right now. Its like the MP-33 with feel i can only dream about.

I switch around quite a bit but keep my specs the same in each set. The JPX Forged is a great great club if you dont mind mid size cavity backs.

Hi Chris,

Sorry to go off topic, but are you playing the Flat Black Blades in 5-9/PW or are you doing the 3 and 4 as well? Also, did you go with Tour AD Pro's, Axiv 959, or something from NGS?

This sounds like a good set up as I've been waiting to go try the Flat Black mid irons out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Randy,

- Yes the Lofts can be custom ordered and you will get Y stamp ferrules if you go that route

I like these irons but they are not in the bag at the moment, sorry gotta change the sig. I have a set of The Yururi Flat Back Blades with graphite shafts im working very well right now. Its like the MP-33 with feel i can only dream about.

I switch around quite a bit but keep my specs the same in each set. The JPX Forged is a great great club if you dont mind mid size cavity backs.

The Yururi has been a hit with you Chris. I see the wedge remains in your bag.

Could you provide a little more feedback on the Flat Black Blades.

My next order will include the Yururi 61*.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, just got my set of JPX E500's (thanks Chris & Jacque). had a slight delay from customs but finally got them and they look and feel great. took a quick spin out to the range to compare to my MX-23's. i always thought the MX-23's felt great but there is a difference when compared to the E500's. the MX-23's almost feel "clicky" in camparison. so far, the forgiveness feels about the same. maybe a slight edge to the E500's but haven't spent enough time with them to tell. distance seemed a bit longer. probably due to the stronger lofts.

fit and finish on the E500's are terrific. noticed the serial numbers are on the ferrules while they are etched on the hosel for the mx-23's.

overall, they look great although i kind of like how the pw, 9 & 8 on the MX-23's look more like muscle backs as opposed to the E500 which look like cavity backs throughout the set.

club play tommorrow morning so we'll see how it goes with the JPX E500's.

Good Luck!!!

Be sure and let us know how it goes. :tsg_smilie_mad:

yes. just took a look. all of them have matching numbers on the ferrules (B74ZS) which i assume are serial numbers. Although, there are also stickers on all of them (just below the grips) that also has a number (B 072282). maybe some out there knows for sure...

thanks.

• 3 months later...
Hey Randy,

Hi,

What can you tell me about the new ns Pro 950HT that comes with them? Bogeydog is selling his pulls and I am fascinated. I am a regular in DG (155= 5i) and want more kick, trajectory and distance. I am considering softstepping these Mizzie HT Stiffs atthough I am wary of stiffs. There are some stiff 850 on ebay I was also looking at. I just put 970R pulls in my Miuras and they are better with a bit of pull and less direct than DGSL R300 (too firm) or DG R300 (not enough Traj or kick). Driver SS is 88. Smooth like LPGA 123.

Any help is appreciated. Glenn

Hey Glenn, I would suggest getting the pulls from bogeydog, great price they are brand new and never hit as well as it seems if the R300 is too stiff for you and you need help getting the ball in their air these may be key.

Anyone who has a slower swing speed and needs help getting airborne should be looking into these shafts.

One thing though is that they can be a disaster for anyone who has an aggressive or medium/fast swing speed.