The feel and sound of JDM Drivers

gocchin

One of the great things about discovering quality JDM equipment has been the feel that they provide. Feel I think is something everyone should want in their equipment. Too many times before discovering TSG would I feel like my equipment was dead to me, or just a piece of steel smacking a ball. One great thing about trying lots of different equipment, using different manufacturing processes and materials is the different feel and sound that they produce.

While feel is something people love, sound is a definitely a personal thing. The high quality tink, the tin can tink, the subtle tink, the thwock, the muted thwock, everyone has their own preference. I have not hit any of the new high MOI US OEM drivers, like the Sumo or FT-i but they sound LOUD like tin cans. Do they perform? Maybe, do they have feel? I don't know, but they are a bit too loud for me. A few members here have said that they have no feel.

I've been hitting at least 20+ drivers since last summer. Started with TM, Callaway, Nike, Ping.... but am now all JDM. I have 7, actually 8 drivers here (but the Nike DFI+ is at my brother's) that all have different feel and sound. But they all have feel. I will try and give some feedback for people who don't have the chance to hit this many side by side.

FEEL

1. Epon 460

2. Srixon WR

Middle of the pack: G-Field Proto 1 and 2, XXIO, Yamaha, X-Drive

Last: Nike DFI+ (no wonder it's at my brother's!)

Okay the standouts are the Epon and Srixon. NO Driver comes close to the Epon for me in feel. When a ball meets the face of this driver it is still a feeling I have a hard time describing but makes me grin from ear to ear. I still say it's like a trampoline affect, where the ball is absorbed by the Epon face then shot back out at super high rebound speeds. Many people seem like they have not experienced this feeling until they hit an Epon especially coming from US OEM stuff. I will never forget the first time my clubfitter hit my epon. He thought he caved the face on that first shot because he had never experienced that feeling before. He is in love with the Epon and it is his favorite driver.

The Srixon is second in feel. Srixon is a very underrated company outside of Japan but they are tops in Japan. I am VERY happy with the WR and if I did not have an Epon it would be my first choice. Not quite the same soft feel as the Epon but still very good feel and a beautiful head and face shape. Even more forgiving than the Epon.

Those two are the standouts and the rest fall kind of the middle of the pack except for the DFI+ which is last probably due to old technology. It had more has more of that steel feel with less feedback. You hit it and it goes but the feel is not there for me. The other four are more muted and which could make me think they have less feel as sound and feel happen at the same time, right at impact.

SOUND (for me based on my personal preference):

1. Srixon WR

2. Epon 460

3. XXIO 460

4. DFI+

Yamaha, G-Field 1 and 2 and X-Drive

Okay I've determined the muted thwock is not for me. The Yamaha and X-Drive are not as muted as the two G-field's one of which is foamed and the other hot melted. They definitely do not fall in the head turning catagory category. The top four drivers all make a tink of some kind. ^^ DFI+' tink is a little artificial sounding, I guess it's all about the quality of the tink. The XXIO was a little better, but the two standouts again are the Epon and Srixon. The Epon has a very high quality tink, one that screams "I am made of the best forged titanium" but what won me over for the Srixon was that while it has a pretty loud tink on impact it is one that lets you know you've ripped an awesome drive. It borders on the head turning level but, I don't know, I kind of like it.

All the drivers here perform well (I didn't compare performance because they all have different lofts and shafts), each with different qualities feel and sound. Having them all at once makes me realize the difference in manufacturers, and just how different a driver can be from one another. So what kind of sound and feel do you like!??

driverfeel.jpg

Great write up Gocchin!

I used to have an X-Drive 435 and I agree that I prefer more of a tink to the muted thwock sound that it provided.

Does anyone know whether the feel or acoustics has been changed in the new 2007 X-Drive? I remember seeing a video on Inpakuto where they tested the new 2007 X-Drive line-up and the sound seemed a little higher pitched than I remember my 435 used to sound.

My ViQ/Tour AD W70 has a tink sound when nailed dead center...

Gocchin, Golftown has your Nike DFI+ for sale.. it's carbon top.. I think most Carbon Top Drivers.. FT3 and that other Clevaland all have that muted sound and dead feel.. at least the carbon ones that I have tried..

The BS J33R have more muted sound when struck if I remember correctly..

I have to agree with Gocchin that JDM drivers that I have tried have better feel.. even the TM R7XR had great feel American Brand, Japanese Spec)..

Don't know why domestics are not like that..

In my view, feel is overrated. Whats important is whether you are in the fairway 250+ yards out.

If the worst looking, deadest sounding driver did that for me, I will be playing it. I want to score low. period.

Having said that, my EPON + Roddio is having the best results for me in terms of fairway and 250+ yards distance..... added bonus is that it sounds good, feels good. But if the former got afffected, it will be replaced in no time without a thought for its feel/sound.

Gocchin, your post was helpful to me.... feels like there is no reason for me to try any other driver as the Epon ranks so high compared to all the other I have never tried..

Edited by ajaykkr

Ajay, performance is definitely the number one factor. I left that out of this post in particular because I can't compare all the different lofts and shafts fairly. But I do agree with you whole heartedly and many others when we say that the Epon is the complete package, feel, looks, performance.

I do still enjoy playing a club with feel though, otherwise I might just be hitting a sumo or that cobra driver Troy (808hack) was hitting. (^_^)

My ViQ/Tour AD W70 has a tink sound when nailed dead center...

Gocchin, Golftown has your Nike DFI+ for sale.. it's carbon top.. I think most Carbon Top Drivers.. FT3 and that other Clevaland all have that muted sound and dead feel.. at least the carbon ones that I have tried..

I have to agree with Gocchin that JDM drivers that I have tried have better feel.. even the TM R7XR had great feel American Brand, Japanese Spec)..

Don't know why domestics are not like that..

The ViQ I guess may have more of a tink than the X-drive line.

So the DFI+ is still around in Canada eh? It definitely has a dead feel but a bit of tink... like it's trying to make a tink... ^^

Ajay, performance is definitely the number one factor. I left that out of this post in particular because I can't compare all the different lofts and shafts fairly. But I do agree with you whole heartedly and many others when we say that the Epon is the complete package, feel, looks, performance.

I do still enjoy playing a club with feel though, otherwise I might just be hitting a sumo or that cobra driver Troy (808hack) was hitting. (^_^)

The ViQ I guess may have more of a tink than the X-drive line.

So the DFI+ is still around in Canada eh? It definitely has a dead feel but a bit of tink... like it's trying to make a tink... ^^

I would like to know if you or anyone else on the forum has hit the OnOff driver and your impression versus the Epon. I've hit my wife's OnOff and the first thing I mentioned was how soft the face felt when I hit the ball. Ok, so it was high and hooking due to the soft shaft, but soft. :=) I'm considering an OnOff driver.

For me, feel is a high priority to how I will perform with a club. If a shovel had great feel, I could get it to perform. I don't think you can separate one from the other. However, a shovel doesn't have aesthetics either which is also an important factor.

Great feel is exactly the thing that was lacking when I played US domestic equipment. Its my opinion that feel enhances the performance of a club and when I have that, I know exactly where that ball is going and what I'm trying to do with it. Like I said just yesterday, I went and hit a few "domestic" drivers the other day after hitting the Epon exclusively for the last year. I was sick after 15 minutes. No feel what-so-ever and I just did not want to take another swing.

Now that I know what a club should feel like, I just won't settle for anything less. Yea, I'm spoiled, but this golf the way its supposed to be.

gocchin, do you know what the head weight of the Epon driver is??

I have a Taylor 510 from the Japanese tour van, and it has a heavy head which I like.

Just thought you might know.....the Epon certainly is a favourite amongst the guys on the site.

My previous 2 epons were both 197g which is the standard Epon weight, interestingly this customized closed face angle and flatter lie Epon was 201g. I need to ask Chris if there's a reason for that..

The Epon is a favorite here and for good rason... I think it's time you got one. (^_^)

My buddy, Forte, just purchased a X-Drive 460.. I will compare the sound and feel as compared to my ViQ and report here..

Yes, DFI+ is available in the westcoast for $400CDN.. They ahve a dozen sitting there for over a year and the sales told me that none has ever been sold..

See taht you mention that it's a bomb.. I got curious and tried.. but carbon top is not my thing.. no feel.. ha ha..

To add... the ViQ is the longest Driver I have had.. save for the old old PING Si3.. it was even longer then my TM R7 XR (illegal Hi-COR)

Perforamcne+Feel.. that's why everybody goes for JDM equipment here!! Ha ha!!

:atsg_smilie_roll:

hey T,

those are some mean sticks!

8 drivers , WOW! one for everyday of the week. hahhaha

YOU DA MAN! ............ you always got the latest and greatest JDM gear T.

and thanks for another great review.

i am currently tinkering with a few drivers myself. :tsg_smilie_love:

HYPER ERC

ONOFF 450

PRGR 502

EPON 460

one of these will fix my bag.

reviews to come, i gotta shaft them up.

on the EPON, i did the custom thing kinda like you, 1* closed and 1* flat. with a roddio.

hope it works out well.

Hey 808hack, how did you get your hands on the Chikara protos??

Sorry for the threadjack boys.

:tsg_smiley_drool:

hey T,

those are some mean sticks!

8 drivers , WOW! one for everyday of the week. hahhaha

YOU DA MAN! ............ you always got the latest and greatest JDM gear T.

and thanks for another great review.

i am currently tinkering with a few drivers myself. :tsg_smilie_laugh:

HYPER ERC

ONOFF 450

PRGR 502

EPON 460

one of these will fix my bag.

reviews to come, i gotta shaft them up.

on the EPON, i did the custom thing kinda like you, 1* closed and 1* flat. with a roddio.

hope it works out well.

T,

Look forward to your feedback once they get shafted up. You've got the drivers I want to add, the 502, Hyper ERC and ONOFF. Those are amazing. I can't to see how they perform. Glad to see you did the custom thingy... the 1* flat seems to be good for us little guys as it doesn't have the toe up in the air as much. You will love the Roddio man!

T

has anyone hit the yonnex nano cyberstar driver? i hit the 9* and it changed the way i look at drivers. i never got the chance to hit JDM stuff but the yonnex has a way different "feel."

Edited by rikisan

• 2 years later...

I am wondering which of the US market driver provides similar "soft" feel, including those Japanese brands that sell in the US market (Mizuno, Srixon, Bridgestone, Mactec, etc.)

Does anyone have idea?

gocchin, have you compared Srixon Japan spec drivers with US market Srixon models like 506, Z-RW? Are they similar in feel? I have never tried them. I am hoping the US market Srixon drivers have similar soft feel.

Another US market driver, Mactec NVG, looks very much like JDM drivers. Maybe it was a JDM design? Do they feel more like JDM drivers?

If you can get the latest JDM drivers, why would you want to get the US version of Japanese brand drivers instead? For Mactec, I believe the North America model is at least a year behind and have different shafts.

If you can get the latest JDM drivers, why would you want to get the US version of Japanese brand drivers instead? For Mactec, I believe the North America model is at least a year behind and have different shafts.

Not everyone can afford a brand new Lamborghini so there are people buy used Covette. Got the idea?

I am talking about similar feel, not necessarily exact. Anyone?

Not everyone can afford a brand new Lamborghini so there are people buy used Covette. Got the idea?

I am talking about similar feel, not necessarily exact. Anyone?

Get Gocchin's Epon 380 on the board now, if the shaft fits. It is cheaper than a used Vett and like nothing you had ever hit. Also look out for a Epon ZR460 if you can find one.

Get Gocchin's Epon 380 on the board now, if the shaft fits. It is cheaper than a used Vett and like nothing you had ever hit. Also look out for a Epon ZR460 if you can find one.

Holly molly its for 105mph+ good ball striker? Not me, not even close. lol

Naw... I am not in market for a driver now. Was just wondering if there are US market drivers that feel close to JDMs.

I'm not experiencing the same when compared to my old and trusted Infiniti 360 PFD.

The sound of the BS J33R 460 is a mild to medium ting in my opinion. Shafted to a Diamana Blueboard

My Infiniti is a thwap / wop and feels really nice. Shafted to a Fuji Vista Pro 60.