Best Paint for Paint Fill

idrive

Just wondering what is the best kind/type of paint to use for the Irons when doing your own paint fill?

Thanks

I've tried both acrylic and enamel based paint. Enamel works best (Testor's brand, found at any hobby store), although don't get it on your hands - hard to remove!

Removal of original paint fill easiest by applying acetone (few coats). Careful with this too, and don't get it on the ferrules. It'll damage them quickly.

Just wondering what is the best kind/type of paint to use for the Irons when doing your own paint fill?

Thanks

jeff we going to be paintfilling some special wedges by any chance? :tsg_smilie_surprise: will be attempting the same thing soon

jeff we going to be paintfilling some special wedges by any chance? :tsg_smilie_surprise: will be attempting the same thing soon

I was thinking about it...

I'm expecting the Chikara's tomorrow.

My first thought is to leave them raw, but I thought it might look pretty good to get a copper color that matches my irons.

My problem is I'm afraid I'll never get it perfect and it will drive me crazy.

What do you guys think??

I was thinking about it...

I'm expecting the Chikara's tomorrow.

My first thought is to leave them raw, but I thought it might look pretty good to get a copper color that matches my irons.

My problem is I'm afraid I'll never get it perfect and it will drive me crazy.

What do you guys think??

actually im seriously considering it but if youve seen pics of carls workshop and the method used to apply the paintfill it looks like a no brainer for someone with steady hands. i on the other hand have not attempted something like this since i was a kid who did models as a hobby.

i guess the best way would be to use a toothpick to apply the coloring and spraying some enamel clearcoat to seal it in. can someone else whos done this chime in? kawiika has done this before.

frankly i will attempt my paintfill in solid glossy black and maybe have the actual chikara logo in red. as for you matching it to your copper wedges im not sure if there is a copper colored paintfill unless of course you can have the actual shade mixed up by someone. if not try gold or something. if your scared you can always experiment with clubs you dont value or use as much

(Dave chiming in here)

The Testor's brand has all sorts of colors, so there's a very good chance you'll find a color to your liking.

Application process (I'm assuming your new wedges will come without any paintfill) is simple. Use a toothpick and use small amounts of paint at a time to fill the areas you want. Just let it drip slowly off the toothpick and into the indented areas. Allow it to dry completely (give it at least eight hours). To remove the paint due to overspill, use NON-ACETONE based nail polish remover (I got mine at Wal-Mart for $1.39).

As a final touch, you can apply clear-coat to it as well. Testor's also has this available. Go through the same process, and finish up with the non-acetone nail polish remover.

The main part is to allow ample time for it to completely dry. It's less messier that way, and it should come out nice, smooth, and clean.

Give us an update when you're done, and post those darn pics! :tsg_smilie_surprise:

(Dave chiming in here)

The Testor's brand has all sorts of colors, so there's a very good chance you'll find a color to your liking.

Application process (I'm assuming your new wedges will come without any paintfill) is simple. Use a toothpick and use small amounts of paint at a time to fill the areas you want. Just let it drip slowly off the toothpick and into the indented areas. Allow it to dry completely (give it at least eight hours). To remove the paint due to overspill, use NON-ACETONE based nail polish remover (I got mine at Wal-Mart for $1.39).

As a final touch, you can apply clear-coat to it as well. Testor's also has this available. Go through the same process, and finish up with the non-acetone nail polish remover.

The main part is to allow ample time for it to completely dry. It's less messier that way, and it should come out nice, smooth, and clean.

Give us an update when you're done, and post those darn pics! :tsg_smilie_surprise:

dave im a bit confused are we supposed to use acetone or non-acetone nail polish? you mentioned acetone in your previous post

Ok, I'll clear this up...

Use acetone to remove the old, original paint fill. Be careful not to get it on the ferrules!

Use NON-ACETONE nail polish remover to clean up the unwanted paint or overspill after you've finished applying it to the needed areas and after it has completely dried.

Hope this clears up the confusion. Sorry about that.

Ok, I'll clear this up...

Use acetone to remove the old, original paint fill. Be careful not to get it on the ferrules!

Use NON-ACETONE nail polish remover to clean up the unwanted paint or overspill after you've finished applying it to the needed areas and after it has completely dried.

Hope this clears up the confusion. Sorry about that.

CRYSTAL! anyway i guess il have an easier time since the chiks will be raw. will post pics when they are done although im thinking glossy black on black

CRYSTAL! anyway i guess il have an easier time since the chiks will be raw. will post pics when they are done although im thinking glossy black on black

I'm thinking that black/black will be hard to see. Don't you want a contrasting color? How about vomit light purple? :tsg_smilie_surprise:

I did white paint fill on my copper Epons, and they look nice. I posted the pics in the WITB section.

I'm thinking that black/black will be hard to see. Don't you want a contrasting color? How about vomit light purple? :tsg_smilie_surprise:

I did white paint fill on my copper Epons, and they look nice. I posted the pics in the WITB section.

thats the whole point:) i want the wedges to be stealthy. i may consider red for the actual logo and everything else to be black. will macth the black shafts and black grip.

as for your epons will check it out. im also considering paintfilling my type x with red paintfill. too lazy though to do it

Jeff, post pics of your copper paint project on your wedges when you're done!

I guess I lied.. I said I was going to leave them raw, but I think I'm really liking this copper color.

First attempt ever...

I think I'll add one more coat, clean it up a bit more and then take on the other two.

I've kind of surprised myself, turning out better than I thought it would.

This light makes it look more orange than copper. When I'm done with all of them I'll post them in the Chikara thread.

I guess I lied.. I said I was going to leave them raw, but I think I'm really liking this copper color.

First attempt ever...

I think I'll add one more coat, clean it up a bit more and then take on the other two.

This light makes it look more orange than copper. When I'm done with all of them I'll post them in the Chikara thread.

jeff,

dont know about you but the picture im looking at has a mystical look. the finsish of the wedge has a magical, black pearl luster finish to it. im sure they look more gorgeous in person,

First attempt ever...

Heeeey! I like!! It really does have a mystical, magical quality to it! Good job!