• Other
  2. 2. Shaft choices...

• Black Gold
    • Nippon
    • Tour Concepts
    • Project X
    • Dynamic Gold
    • Other

I haven't been able to play most recently due to a wrist injury... but if I am a middle to high single digit handicap... I would say my weakest area is driving of the ball. I am a decent ball striker and I am pretty confident controlling shots other than driver... if I hit fairways I would probably be scratch no problem whatsoever. Home course is 7100 and 131 slope... I was 1 over after 15 and hook the drive OB on 16 for a triple and bogeyed the next two... if I could drive the ball as well as I did then and get out of my own way I would be scratch tomorrow. :-(

I REALLY like the look of the x-forged, I like the look of my Pro Combo Tours, and don't like a very rounded toe on an iron/wedge... another example of a look I like is the Rac TP MB.

I want something at least somewhat similar to the PC Tours in relation to the leading edge and bounce, as these play very versatile and have worked well for me in all conditions.

Does the leading edge on the X-forged really play like a razor, as comments I have heard? I am thinking about Miura because of comments on their looks compared to other clubs and from what I have seen in pictures.

Fourteen TB1000 Forged...excellent feel, great looking at address, pretty forgiving for a blade. As far as shaft reccommendation, Black Gold is a good choice; soft feel at impact. NS1150's are more stable and very good choice. I'd get fitted for the shaft, but as far as look and feel, the TB's are very impressive. just my unasked opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys the new Miura MB-5003 is getting killer reviews from pro golfers in the Japanese golf mags. They say its Miura's softest iron ever.

Guys the new Miura MB-5003 is getting killer reviews from pro golfers in the Japanese golf mags. They say its Miura's softest iron ever.

Yup I've been reading lots of blogs in Japan. One of the top bloggers said he hadn't feelt soft impact like that in years... it gave him goosebumps!!

WOW - nice to hear that Chris :tsg_smilie_surprise:

I wonder if they have used a new kind of finish to make it feel softer than the previous Miura blade or if they have improved the blade design - not that there are much to improve on a small thin blade iron........

WOW - nice to hear that Chris :tsg_smilie_surprise:

I wonder if they have used a new kind of finish to make it feel softer than the previous Miura blade or if they have improved the blade design - not that there are much to improve on a small thin blade iron........

There are definitely some minor design changes as Miura calls it an evolution from previous MB series irons, they've played around with the thickness of the face making it thicker than previous models and shifted weight around in the design. Results apparently is more feel.

I have a set on the way to try out, I am no compact blade player but I am intrigued by others saying it feels super soft.

I have a set on the way to try out, I am no compact blade player but I am intrigued by others saying it feels super soft.

which is the most compact head... MB 5003, baby blades, or the SB series

Yup I've been reading lots of blogs in Japan. One of the top bloggers said he hadn't feelt soft impact like that in years... it gave him goosebumps!!

T:

Read the blog again after your translation and finally figured out what's 'goosebumps' in Japanese. :tsg_smilie_surprise:

Edited by Duffer19

wow, there's a lot of writing on that blade.

i've had two range sessions with the baby blades (DGS300 softstepped) and I'm hitting it further with traditional lofts than my Type S. Not really sure why.

I'm not hitting it as straight, too much of a draw....but that's what I was looking for. Something that doesn't mask my errors so i can work on a better swing. It feels really solid and the shaft has a nice trajectory.

I can't say enough good things about it. There's a 4g plug to make it D3 throughout the set and D4 in the PW.

I just love the way these setup.

I don't think I'm ready to play with these yet on the course because I'm not good enough to control distance. My mis**ts lose too much distance and my solid shots go too far. I think I can dial it in after a few more range sessions. I was too spoiled with the cavity backs where mis**ts didn't lose much distance and stayed in line pretty well.

Jack

As one of the blogger said, 5003 with the new GD tour ad 105, a lethal combination.

The Golds factory are excellent. I always look at blades as the ultimate "game improvement" iron for the player willing to practice and striving to improve. Really not much difference, in my opinion, between a players cavity back like the Epon J and a true blade, except the confidence the CB may instill in the head. Irrational maybe, but mental is 90 percent of the game.

Those Miura's look great but what's with all the writings on the head?That club would look even better without all the stampings.JMHO

In that case, how about a Geotech blade instead.

post-8082-1194729256.jpg

post-8082-1194787560.jpg

Sorry this is the proto new modified n16 blade.

WOW. That blade looks great,not in the Pro shop yet?

Can you order the Miuras with no printing except the number on the head? I think they will custom grind heads at no extra charge to custom weight the heads so you can play any lightweight shaft you want at your proper length and still have your desired swingweight. So clean heads may be do able.

• 3 months later...
I haven't been able to play most recently due to a wrist injury... but if I am a middle to high single digit handicap... I would say my weakest area is driving of the ball. I am a decent ball striker and I am pretty confident controlling shots other than driver... if I hit fairways I would probably be scratch no problem whatsoever. Home course is 7100 and 131 slope... I was 1 over after 15 and hook the drive OB on 16 for a triple and bogeyed the next two... if I could drive the ball as well as I did then and get out of my own way I would be scratch tomorrow. :-(

I REALLY like the look of the x-forged, I like the look of my Pro Combo Tours, and don't like a very rounded toe on an iron/wedge... another example of a look I like is the Rac TP MB.

I want something at least somewhat similar to the PC Tours in relation to the leading edge and bounce, as these play very versatile and have worked well for me in all conditions.

Does the leading edge on the X-forged really play like a razor, as comments I have heard? I am thinking about Miura because of comments on their looks compared to other clubs and from what I have seen in pictures.

If you play like that (similar to myself), you would not regret buying the Miura MB 5003's, they look gorgeous, they feel as soft as butter and for a decent ball striker they are very workable and controllable, almost forgiving for a blade, certainly I find them no more difficult to use than my CB1006's, but a lot nicer and more rewarding to play with.

I am a confirmed Nippon addict, I absolutely love the feel, controllability and ball flight of my 1150's, but shafts are a very personal thing and other posters have suggested that you try as many as possible and find what feels best for you - that is really good advice!

Good luck in your quest, just as a pistscript, I am experimenting with hybrids to replace my 3 and 4 irons and am playing the 5003's from 5 to PW, seems like this is how my bag will stay for quite a while!

• 1 month later...

really curious about the geotechs, will be a cheaper alternative than others. then again i am not qualified to try blades but am willing to try if its the geotechs. has anyone tried these yet here?

• 2 months later...

I don't think most would consider the AF-301 to be a real blade ... if you're looking into picking up a blade.

If you're set on Epon, I read on this forum they're coming out with a true blade towards the end of the year. Gocchin and TourSpecGolfer can probably chime in with more info.

Otherwise, the verdict is pretty clear right now: MB-5003's.

Shafted to either the Nippons (for steel shafts) or the GD Tour ADs in 105 or 115 (for graphite shafts). However, the GDs sound incredibly expensive. Probably north of $2K when all is said and done with the heads and shafts.

No one has mentioned the middle ground of the AeroTech SteelFibers i110 (graphite with steel) and I'll bet that makes for a very sweet combo.

I've given up looking for those overpriced Yururi Flat Back Raw heads though. They look sweet but apparently are not an original design and quality could be suspect.

I'm also considering the MB-5003s... but the Epon AF-301s look pretty sweet as well. Oh the dilemmas in life...

• 2 years later...

Anyone try with AeroTech SteelFibers to compare?

Am currently having an older set of PRGR TR 900 "neo blades" built with Aerotech Steelfiber i125s.......expecting blissful feeling sticks!

ive got a few sets of blades..

epon af-tour....

kyoei v muscle.....

sakamoto......

miura 1957......

yururi flatback.........

i like them all for differnt things and conditions.

the sakaomoto ,miura and yurri i like on hard pan, tight lied grass.bec of the small , thin soles

the kyoies on everything. bec, they are in between small and big and they are the most solid of all.

the epons on sponge,or wet grass. are simply fantastic, they feel the (best )softest by a long way.

i went back to playing blades bec, i wanted that feeling of that perfect hit off the middle , just nothing else feels like it .

ive hit cavities again recently , but they just dont feel as good., for me its gotta be blades.

if u add the epon 302 and miura cb1006 in there as well, oh boy, i thtink my iron ho'ing days are over.