Best players forged cavity back set - 2008 season

ClubHoUno

Best players forged cavity back set - 2008 season  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What set of players forged cavity back would you buy ?

• Miura Cb-1006
    • Miura Cb-202 USDM
    • Miuraism SC-01
    • Srixon ZR-700
    • Srixon I-701 Tour USDM
    • Epon AF-301
    • Fourteen TC 1000
    • Tourstage X-Blade CB 2008
    • Gold's Factory CB
    • Mizuno Mp-57 Custom Satin Japan
    • Mizuno Mp 57/60 Combo Custom Satin
    • ONOFF Irons Plus Forged
    • ONOFF CB 247 Miura Forged
    • Royal Collection CV Blade
    • Yururi CNC Gekko
    • PRGR iS3 Forged 500 BL
    • Callaway X-Forged USDM
    • Nike CGI Forged USDM
    • Taylor Made Forged TP 2008
    • Macgregor Pro-C USDM

I live around the GTA and yet has come across someone with the Epon AF301s...I would love to try them though. The Miura CBs are nowhere close to the feel of the blades. To me, the Miura CBs feel like a higher end model of a Mizuno MP series. Miura CBs would go very well with an NS Pro shaft.

Personally I am more interested in the MB 5003s.....if they feel as good as they look....those will be the irons for me.

I live around the GTA and yet has come across someone with the Epon AF301s...I would love to try them though. The Miura CBs are nowhere close to the feel of the blades. To me, the Miura CBs feel like a higher end model of a Mizuno MP series. Miura CBs would go very well with an NS Pro shaft.

Personally I am more interested in the MB 5003s.....if they feel as good as they look....those will be the irons for me.

I'll say it again... reviews out of Japan are saying the MB5003's are the best feeling Miuras ever bar none, Japanese or US models.

There are several AF-301 owners here in Toronto, at least 5 or 6 I can think of right off the top of my head. (^_^)

You should just order the 5003 with the GD Tour AD 105 or 115 graphite. You would then be the only one in the GTA to own a set like that.

Though not mentioned in your poll, I think the 08' Cobra Pro CB's might be worthy of consideration. I'm certainly looking forward to their release.

post-11659-1198132135.jpg

Though not mentioned in your poll, I think the 08' Cobra Pro CB's might be worthy of consideration. I'm certainly looking forward to their release.

Sorry, I would like to add the Cobra irons to the poll, but the limit for poll choices unfortunately is 20, so I can't add the new lovely looking Cobra irons to the poll :tsg_smilie_smile2:

• 1 month later...

The are not true JDM irons, but what Bridgestone is doing with their iron line this year awesome. You can build your own "combo" set by chosing any combination of blade, CB, or pocket cavity you like. Project X is the stock shaft and I believe there are other shaft options.

I'm not in the market for irons this year (still love my J33 CB's) but if I was I would go with these in some variation. Being Endo forged I'm sure the feel is superb, and being Bridgestone, the quality is there. These were a big hit at the recent PGA show in Orlando. Everyone was raving about them.

My vote goes to Yamaha. By far the best looking cavities I've seen in quite some time. As well as being Endo forged, I think this is the top pick for '08.

TC1000 from Fourteen gets my vote. Just bought a set from TSG and will post comparison with TourStage z101s (which they are replacing) soon.

Not to mention the 700 sets of Limited Tour Yamaha Inpres X sold out within a month in Japan!!

Well it had to happen. The only design to date I've seen that made me contemplate getting a cavity back set and of course, they sell out. If you come across a set T, send me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

TC1000s arrived and I have played two rounds with them. One of those rounds I won the comp! Still need to lengthen them and bend a little more upright. In short, these are brilliant irons, and VERY forgiving for the size of the heads.

Will post pics and back-to-back comparison with trusty TourStage z101s after they are all adjusted properly. Anyone who doesn't get time to practice anymore, but still wants feel and control (and short irons which don't hit moon balls), should seriously consider these sticks.

more soon

Please vote and feel free to place a comment stating WHY you picked that particular set of irons.

In my world a players forged cavity back set has to have:

1. Thin top line

2. Little bit of offset

3. Thin sole

4. Small cavity

5. Medium to small size club head

• 1 month later...

Eberyone can fry me like a dciman, but I think Callaway X Forged are pretty sweet. I currently play MP 67s (w/ s-300s) but I do own a set of x forged irons. Not X-Tour but X Forged.

Being a bladeplaya, I love a thin top line, compact head and simplistic look. The X-Forged have all these attributes and are real ez to hit. Not quite as accurate as my MP 67s but if you need extra forgiveness these are for you.

NOTE: I play 2 degrees flat and when I had the Callaway's bent, my club guy mentioned that most of the lies were off. So he started with the 3 iron and worked his way down. I guess it's the lack of quality control where ever, these were made.

• 2 weeks later...
Please vote and feel free to place a comment stating WHY you picked that particular set of irons.

In my world a players forged cavity back set has to have:

1. Thin top line

2. Little bit of offset

3. Thin sole

4. Small cavity

5. Medium to small size club head

I think the Epons are the best in your list but have you tried the Vega irons? I currently play the 50th Anniversary Cavity Back and it is the softest club that I have ever hit. Chris has started to sell some of these clubs

post-10536-1206874141.gif

post-10536-1206874155.jpg

Edited by golf 37

I would also add the Ikasu CB Cavity Irons

post-10536-1206875465.jpg

Edited by golf 37

I'd have gone for Tourstage Xblade CB's.... the ViQ forged had excellent feel, so i expect these are same but with way way less offset, which i like. And with the tungsten inserts etc in longer irons you get good looks, feel and forgiveness.

However, I stopped by Golfcraft in Bangkok and ordered custom Epon 301's instead ;-)

7grass.jpg

4ironheads.jpg

They look stealthy. Very nice 301s

I would also add the Ikasu CB Cavity Irons

post-10536-1206875465.jpg

Guys please leave open model aka catalog heads out of this discussion. We do not want to give any credit to brands that simply stamp their logo on a pre design unbranded product.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I had fitted and purchased a set of the Ping Anser Forged irons. Could not be happier.

I had fitted and purchased a set of the Ping Anser Forged irons. Could not be happier.

This is a 2012 best of post. In Japan the anser forged was released in 2009.

Actually, this is the 2008 thread. Every time someone votes, this thread gets bumped to the top.

haha sorry! I'm shutting this one down.