Epon 701 VS Tourstage VIQ Irons

mgui

Has anyone tried the Epon forged 701 against the tourstage 2008 VIQ irons ? which is better, and has a softer feel ? I like the ns-pro 900GH weight flow steel shaft does the Epon forged 701 irons come with ns-pro 900 weight flow steel shaft ?

Two very different irons. The 701's are forged with a AsRoll face and tghe ViQ 2008 are cast and not released until next week so unfortunately nobody hast tried those yet. The 701's though are as forgiving as it gets for a forged iron and an amazing performer. The NS Pro 900WF shafts are OEM only shafts, the Epon's are custom made and come with more options actually.

I am very curious to try to try the ViQ's as I've owned previous generations before and they have always been great irons too.

T, I would agree with you on the Af-701, I just received that from TSG 2 day ago. And it is very soft and easy to hit compare to VIQ forged. I would say it is probably the best iron set I hit this year.

T, I would agree with you on the Af-701, I just received that from TSG 2 day ago. And it is very soft and easy to hit compare to VIQ forged. I would say it is probably the best iron set I hit this year.

Oh you got them! Don't forget to post a detailed review. I'd love to hear how they work out for you especially with the shafts. They must be very smooth!!

All I can tell for now is it is very soft smooth and long. The shaft (Axiv) make a lot different feeling from NS-PRO. But still have the same control as NSPRO

All I can tell for now is it is very soft smooth and long. The shaft (Axiv) make a lot different feeling from NS-PRO. But still have the same control as NSPRO

Yeah that's why I recommended them... the new graphite available now has dispersion like steel but couple smooth feel and light weight... and yes distance!

Let me know more once you get a chance to play them more! (^_^)

• 8 months later...

Own 2006 ViQ cast/ NSPro900 and 2007 ViQ Forged/NSPro 90V.

Currently still playing both.. the lofts are identical for the irons.. I can switch between the 2 sets with relative ease without awkward yardage gaps (I am merely an okay ball striker so my distance ain't very very precise)

I have had the opportunity in Japan last month to try the 2008 ViQ Cast on a mat, I can tell you that it's much much hotter then the 2006 ViQ Cast that I own.. The ball almost explodes of the face.. The store also had a 2007 ViQ Forged so I did hit the two back to back (re-establishing a baseline so I ain't dreaming) On a side note, I tried X-Blade GR, it's quite a hot face too.. I would say it's an easier to hit iron then the ViQ Forged.. If I were to get only one set, I would go for the X-blade GR, combines the hot face of the ViQ Cast iron in a less bulky package (the ViQ Forged and X-BladeGR is quite simlar at address)

No idea how it compares to the Epon though as I have never seen or hit one..

i played the 2007 viq forged irons for the majority of last year...and i much prefer the feel of the viq forged iron vs. the epon 701's. maybe i'm just not used to the undercut design. to me the viq forged had a soft solid feel while the eopn 701 felt very clicky, not the solid feel i'm used too. but then again it might just be the design of the head. sorry though never got a chance to hit the 2008 viq's.

Mine is the forged model but I thnk they arr earlier than 2007. They feel great although I also am not a great ball striker so I was inquiring to look for something a bit more forgiving. I'm only playing a couple times a month with no range time so I came back to this site to see what's available. I saw the 2008 looked more forgiving but initially wanted a forged iron. I thought the X-blade would have been more of a players club than my ViQ's but they may be a good option.

Also looking at Mizuno JPX 500 if anyone can compare.

Thanks,

Gordo

Edited by gordo905

Mine is the forged model but I thnk they arr earlier than 2007. They feel great although I also am not a great ball striker so I was inquiring to look for something a bit more forgiving. I'm only playing a couple times a month with no range time so I came back to this site to see what's available. I saw the 2008 looked more forgiving but initially wanted a forged iron. I thought the X-blade would have been more of a players club than my ViQ's but they may be a good option.

Also looking at Mizuno JPX 500 if anyone can compare.

Thanks,

Gordo

The X-Blade is not forgiving at all... especially the new 2008 one. Even some single digit cappers have a hard time with it. If you want to stick with forged go with the AF-701... it feels good and is easier than the ViQ Forged to hit and may actually be a touch smaller as the ViQ Forged are reasonably chunky.

I went from the ViQ Forged to AF-701's and the AF-701's are still in the bag. They are just so easy to hit straight and long.

Goochin,

How do the forged ViQ's and 701's compare in offset? It looks like the 2008 ViQ's have more offset and I'm not looking for more than I have with my current ViQ's.

Offset is very close. The 2008 ViQ's definitely have more because that cast set is considered the closest thing to game improvement that Tourstage has. The AF-701 and ViQ Forged are targeted at mid handicapper/athlete golfers in Japan while the 2008 ViQ is for the average golfer. We've had even single digit players get the AF-701's because of their ease of use... they are a very high quality high tech forging. Don't get me wrong, the ViQ Forged from 2007 is also a very nice solid iron but if it's more fogiving forged you want, nothing beats the AF-701 except maybe the FD Star from RC but hey we all know that's practically an Epon Type X. (^_^)