My shootout of JDM irons: OnOFF + forged vs. Fourteen

Randy

Onoff 247s vs Epon 301s... Both have a terrific feel... soft and buttery smooth ...edge here to the 247s as they feel a tad bit more solid... but both at the top in feel... the 247s have a thinner sole and topline but are a bit longer from heel to toe-- I like a bit longer, sleeker look. The 301s are more compact with a bit thicker sole and topline. Both play great. They are pretty close in terms of foregivess, edge maybe to 247s but both are remarkable in how foregiving they are for a players cb. The 247s look alot like the tour only Nike Splits, with a longer sleeker look. 247s in the bag...

Any comments on the sole grind of the 247's?....I've always found the Japan Miura's "dug" quite a bit for me, leading edge just too sharp in anything but hard conditions.

"Could you expand a little bit on the offset of the 3 models? which has more, less, progressive, etc"

Sorry, but quite honestly after looking at all three and seeing they didn't have a huge amount of off-set, I didn't pay real close attention to which had more or less. Although the Epon seemed to have maybe a little less. It was time to thin the herd, so I already got rid of the other two sets, so can't go compare now.

• 2 weeks later...

They have not showed up. I'm was told in a couple of weeks from now, but who knows.

• 5 weeks later...

Update:

Although I had basically given up, the OnOff CB 247s showed up. After a couple of range sessions and a round they are now in the bag. They have everything I am looking for (thinish topline and sole, minimal off-set) and not all that unforgiving. In fact I was amazed at how well I was hitting them.

Feel wise, I probably like the Epons just a little better, but the 247s are just plain solid and hit them a little better than the Epons, which are a really great set of irons.

I also picked up a set of the Callway x-prototype irons and they are very nice, but I would put the Epons and of course the the 247s in the bag before them.

Because I am a mid-capper (13), I also went in the opposite direction and tried a set of the Callaway i-brid irons. I am sure they would be very good for a certain sector of the golfing population, but they were a disaster for me. Extremely forgiving, but couldn't hit the 44 degree PW 120 yards. Today, I was hitting the 247 9-iron (43 degrees/one degree weak) 140 yards.

I know there have been some posts about a Miura irons that is close to the 247s. If they play and feel anywhere close to the 247s and quite a bit less $s, they would be a heck of a deal.

Aloha and have a great Memorial Day. (As I am sure you will do, please remember our troops.)

Randy

The irons have PX 6.0 in them. I thought they might be a little stiff for me and might have to change the shafts, but so far I am really liking them. Good height and distance and great feel.

aloha

Randy

Edited by Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Very informative thread guys and Thank You Randy.

BTW we have a bunch of CB247 sets available now within the U.S all 3-PW NS1150 Stiff at a great price.

• 1 month later...

The main difference I get between JDM and U.S. is feel and quality. Pings to me have felt a little harsh and I don't like the "click" feel/sound. I know it is only a mind thing and doesn't make for a worse shot, but I just don't like it. As far as the AP1's go, I am currently trying them out, but they still don't have the great feel of a good forged JDM.

I am on to my next hunt for a set of irons and will be posting soon. I will be looking for a set of forged JDM irons that have the forgiveness of the AP1s with no "click" sound/feel.

aloha

Randy