Gocchin's 2008 WITB - so far

gocchin

Okay here is my "current" what's in the bag for 2008.

I probably have a new caddy bag on the way but for now it's still the Bridgestone Paradiso Maru bag.

Moving up to a 12* driver and a 3 wood that has a high loft 17* has actually reduced the number of clubs in my bag to 12! Meaning that I have room for two more... probably a wedge and one other club....

Epon EMB 12* - Graphite Design Tour AD W-50

Mizuno JPX A25 17* 3 Wood - Mizuno Quad

SYB W411v 21* 7 Wood - Roddio W5BA

Epon AF-901 24* Utility - Graphite Design Tour AD UT-55

Epon AF-701 6-PW - Graphite Design Tour AD AD-65

Epon 208KGX 50* - Graphite Design Tour AD AD-75

Geotech Forged Special Grind 56* - Graphite Design Tour AD AD-75

Gold's Factory Hearts Tour Proto 002 - Mamiya FF Shaft - Weight Cartridge in Butt - Iomic Red Black

Nowon No.1 48 Series Grips

Kasco Kira Golf Balls

Mizuno 352S Tour Balls

Tourstage X-01 S3 Balls

witb2008.jpg

More Detail:

The EMB is now shafted with a Tour AD W-50 R2 flex....yes R2!! I like the soft feel and strong kick. The W series Tour AD is one of the smoothest driver shafts from GD and is the softest tip of all Tour AD shafts... perfect for a player like myself who has problems with a push and sometimes slice. Playing this now at 45" with a Blue Graphite Design Grip (a present from Duffer19!).

Some of you may wonder why I switched from the Tour AD for EMB shaft. I found I was taking the heel of the driver into the ground occasionally with the longer 46" length and I did not want to cut the shaft down so I swapped out as a test with the spare W-50.

2008emb.jpg

The Mizuno JPX A25 17* plays at 43" with the regular flex JPX Quad shaft. This shaft plays soft, just the way I like it. It is smooth and has a tremendous kick because of how soft it is. I rarely can hit a draw but I can with this shaft and head combo. Pentagon shaped head is super forgiving. Does have that titanium feel and sound but is very easy to hit even at 43" for a short guy like me! Still don't like the alignment mark. The magnetic head cover rocks!

2008jpx.jpg

The newest club in the bag is SYB's W411v 7 wood. It's a 22* but measured at 21* FW with a traditional shape but reasonably large head. This thing does inspire confidence along the lines of the new Fourteen FW SF308 as they are from the same design team. This 7 wood is 173cc and has a 1.5* open face, quite an interesting combination. I shafted it with my Roddio W5BA at 41.5" and this thing feels great and I pretty much go straight with it.

2008syb.jpg

I decided on an AF-901 to replace my 5 iron. Yes the AF-701 is already really easy to hit but I thought the 901 would be the perfect fit in the bag. I had it bent to 24* and shafted up with my usual Tour AD UT-55 with Nowon grip. It's a great hollow forging with great feel and while it's definitely larger than the AF-701 it feels and plays like an easy iron to hit and that's what I wanted!

2008901.jpg

What's there to say about the AF-701 that hasn't been said before? This is one of the best irons ever made. With all around performance and feel packed in a nice mid sized cavity. The undercut cavity and Asroll face are forgiving and long. The tungsten weights forged in the sole and blunt leading edge make this a great choice for all levels of players. There is a reason why this is TSG's number one selling iron. I've got mine shafted with Tour AD AD-65 graphite not only for the light weight but also for the smaller diameter butt end 14.80mm as I have small hands. The 48 series Nowon fit perfectly on this size butt. There is no plan to replace these unless I get Copper finished ones. (^_^)

2008701.jpg

I like to play 50* approach wedge as the strong lofts of the 701 have a 45* PW. The 208KGX spins hard with it's sharp grooves and it's multiple bounce sole is very versatile. I haven't had much time with it yet but it feels wonderful and has great low stable trajectory with tons of spin! Also shafted with Tour AD AD-75 graphite.

2008208.jpg

The GT Special Grind I just had to try for it's amazing budget price... forged in Japan with a grind and bounce that suits my game I grabbed one and shafted it with an Axiv 758M. I like it so far but got it the same time as the Epon wedge so it's still in test mode. Looks great though with it's teardrop shape and straight neck!

2008gt.jpg

New Gold's factory putter rocks... heavy 365g head with a total weight of around 566g which is very heavy. The 33" putter has a Mamiya FF shaft with 30g Balance Certified weight to balance out the heavy heavy head. Nice Iomic red and black grip. Love the soft PZ milled face!

2008gf.jpg

Absolutely beautiflul T!

Hey go out and get some dirt/grass on those clubs!!

But seriously, how are you liking your driver results after switching to 12 degrees? I would imagine better?

That putter is just sick, but I still love the look of that bag. My favorite for sure!

T:

I've found my A25 3w with stock SR to be too high in launch and actually shorter than my V Steel 5 wood to replace a both a 15 degree 3 and a 18 degree 5 wood. I have since reshafted it with a white board (pulled from a 14* CV Pro) to bring down the height and hopefully with more roll. My spare A25 driver is now shafted with Machline 7061 Proto.

R, I love the A25 3 Wood... I am very happy with it's trajectory and distance. It must be the shaft for you as it is indeed a soft playing, high launching stock shaft which works for me. I thought you were getting rid of the driver?

I like the driver head but not the Mizuno stock shaft. So far had only one game with the Machline proto in R flex and the result is definitely better but still need time to adjust to timing of shaft/square head combo. For those interested in the Machline or at least the proto, IMO, it is firmer than most JDM shafts with comparable weight and flex designation.

Great bag T, love the new putter.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely Jealous of your new putter T, gotta get me one of those!!! :) Enjoy

I loved the a25 3w 15* that I demoed except that the closed face had me drawing exclusively, with some hooks thrown in...but even with the stock shaft (I always change shafts) I was suprised at how incredibly solid feeling the club was at impact, the easy alignment, how the ball got up (high, high ball) but also how it carried...the ball goes high sure enough, but it flattens out and keep going...I hit some of the longest three woods that I ever have with that demo and range balls...very impressive, and if they ever come out with a more neutrally biased model I will be all over it...

Nice bag!

The A25 3w is 17* hence higher and shorter than traditional 15* 3w.