Nippon NSPro heavy putter shafts

Droopy

Hey guys,

I'd like to get a new shaft for my Gold's Factory putter. I got the standard shaft when I received the putter. While I'm happy with the putter, after 10 rounds, I'm still NOT used to it and my putting has suffered severely.

I'm hoping that add a little weight to the shaft will help. Anyone know how heavy my current shaft is? Which Nippon shaft should I get?

Thanks,

Droopy

The standard shaft in your putter should be around 120g if I'm not mistaken.

What kind of putting issues are you having exactly? Do you find you're pulling the ball a bit or having trouble keeping it on line?

One of the things with the Gold's putters is that the heavy head can actually throw some players off. The head in mine is 365g and can feel very heavy which can actually affect the putting stroke. A heavier shaft would balance that out.

For example my Gold's has the FF shaft in it which is like 107g, paired with the 365g head is like swinging a sledgehammer (^_^). So I had a Balance Certified 30g weight but in the butt which really evened out the weight and allowed me to putt more smoothly.

The heavier NS Pro shafts would accomplish a similar result.

So I had a Balance Certified 30g weight but in the butt which really evened out the weight and allowed me to putt more smoothly.

This will sound like blasphemy.....but I picked up a Ping Karsten center shafted mini-mallet that is face-balanced and works well with my back-and-through stroke. The only problem I had with it was it swing weighted to E1 which is MUCH heavier that I was used to. I put a 30g counter-balance weight in the butt and got it down to D3 and the difference was dramatic. It took the hands out of the stroke and putts hold the line better, plus they're going where I'm aiming. Distance control is also very consistent. I would never have thought counter-balancing would be as effective as it is.

I have seen some guys using 50-70g but they say that also deadens the feel somewhat. The 30g weight did not take away from the feel but greatly added to the control. Definately worth a try, and easier than replacing the shaft.

The main issue is that the sweet spot of the putter doesn't seem to be directly in the center of the insert. It's a little bit toward the heel. My putter head is 352 so it weighs exactly the same as my old Tour Scotty. On the Tour Scotty, the sweet spot was a little towards the toe. Maybe that's why my putting has suffered... I'm just having trouble adjusting.

That's why I wanted to change it up with a heavier putter shaft. I'm not sure that'll do much...just looking to try anything...

Droopy

The standard shaft in your putter should be around 120g if I'm not mistaken.

What kind of putting issues are you having exactly? Do you find you're pulling the ball a bit or having trouble keeping it on line?

One of the things with the Gold's putters is that the heavy head can actually throw some players off. The head in mine is 365g and can feel very heavy which can actually affect the putting stroke. A heavier shaft would balance that out.

For example my Gold's has the FF shaft in it which is like 107g, paired with the 365g head is like swinging a sledgehammer (^_^). So I had a Balance Certified 30g weight but in the butt which really evened out the weight and allowed me to putt more smoothly.

The main issue is that the sweet spot of the putter doesn't seem to be directly in the center of the insert. It's a little bit toward the heel. My putter head is 352 so it weighs exactly the same as my old Tour Scotty. On the Tour Scotty, the sweet spot was a little towards the toe. Maybe that's why my putting has suffered... I'm just having trouble adjusting.

That's why I wanted to change it up with a heavier putter shaft. I'm not sure that'll do much...just looking to try anything...

Droopy

I've never tried the Gold's insert only PZ milling but its interesting to know that the sweet spot is towards the heel because that is exactly where it was as well on the old G-Field Premium Zones. Hmmmm I need to think about how you can adjust to this....

Have you tried a club fitter using the Tomi putting system? I am not in any way affliated with Tomi (although I am considering buying their consumer version). My club fitter and I have worked with the Pro version of the system the last couple of weeks on 3 putters including my latest GF.

For me at least, if the lie angle is too upright, I somehow compensate on my forward stroke and hit it towards the heel of the putter. If the lie angle is too flat, I tend to hit it on the toe. Here is my experience with my GF I got last Saturday:

The putter was too head heavy so I had it first adjsusted for balance by adding weight to the butt. Then I went to test the putter on the Tomi Pro system. As it came, I was hitting it a bit on the toe. It was about 3-4mm towards the toe and I was doing this 3 out of 5 tries (the Tomi measures 5 putts). My club fitter adjusted the lie angle one degree upright. On the Tomi, I started hitting it on the heel 3-4mm 3 out of 5 times. The next adjustment was half a degree flatter. Lo and behold, the Tomi system measured (and displayed this on a PC screen) that I hit the sweet spot once. 2 out of 5 were on the heel about 1-2mm off from center). 2 out of 5 were on the toe (again 1-2mm towards the toe). So I ended up with the putter half a degree upright from stock.

I have no idea if this works for everyone but for me it seems to give me the confidence I need. My golf Buddy went 2 weeks ago and adjusted his putter for the lie angle (one degree upright). That was all my club fitter did for him and he did not do any practice putts. We went down to play 2 days ago and he was draining his 8 foot putts. This is a guy who is dependable to miss everything right from anywhere more than 4 feet. I did screw my club fitter for adjusting my buddy's putter too well.

My 2 cents worth...

Regards

foosp

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried a club fitter using the Tomi putting system? I am not in any way affliated with Tomi (although I am considering buying their consumer version). My club fitter and I have worked with the Pro version of the system the last couple of weeks on 3 putters including my latest GF.

For me at least, if the lie angle is too upright, I somehow compensate on my forward stroke and hit it towards the heel of the putter. If the lie angle is too flat, I tend to hit it on the toe. Here is my experience with my GF I got last Saturday:

The putter was too head heavy so I had it first adjsusted for balance by adding weight to the butt. Then I went to test the putter on the Tomi Pro system. As it came, I was hitting it a bit on the toe. It was about 3-4mm towards the toe and I was doing this 3 out of 5 tries (the Tomi measures 5 putts). My club fitter adjusted the lie angle one degree upright. On the Tomi, I started hitting it on the heel 3-4mm 3 out of 5 times. The next adjustment was half a degree flatter. Lo and behold, the Tomi system measured (and displayed this on a PC screen) that I hit the sweet spot once. 2 out of 5 were on the heel about 1-2mm off from center). 2 out of 5 were on the toe (again 1-2mm towards the toe). So I ended up with the putter half a degree upright from stock.

I have no idea if this works for everyone but for me it seems to give me the confidence I need. My golf Buddy went 2 weeks ago and adjusted his putter for the lie angle (one degree upright). That was all my club fitter did for him and he did not do any practice putts. We went down to play 2 days ago and he was draining his 8 foot putts. This is a guy who is dependable to miss everything right from anywhere more than 4 feet. I did screw my club fitter for adjusting my buddy's putter too well.

My 2 cents worth...

Regards

foosp

Hi! Mind telling me where to get this done? Are you in Singapore? I am meaning to bring my new bettinardi to make some adjustments. Thanks

The main issue is that the sweet spot of the putter doesn't seem to be directly in the center of the insert. It's a little bit toward the heel.

Droopy

Have you used any impact tape on the Putter to see exactly where you are striking it?

Hi! Mind telling me where to get this done? Are you in Singapore? I am meaning to bring my new bettinardi to make some adjustments. Thanks

Hi gbs

Yes I am in Singapore. I have it done at Jimmy Aw's shop at Tanjong Pagar in Singapore. The name of the shop is Golf Master Works. If you need the telephone and address, let me know and I will pm that to you.

Jimmy is an excellent clubfitter but if you expect friendly service, forget it. He is straight & to the point and does not waste much on small talk. The putter fitting was excellent if not for anything but to let you know what you are doing with the putter.

Regards

Foo

Impact tape is a good idea and tinker with the weighting, sometimes heavier isn't better.

How long is the putter? What are your misses? What do you really think is going on?

Main thing is to play with a putter that helps your game, we can also get Master Sasaya's input on this matter for you.

Yes, I was consistently striking right around the center. When I purposely hit toward the heel, that's when the feel was best.

Have you used any impact tape on the Putter to see exactly where you are striking it?

The putter is exactly 33.5 and my misses tend to be pulls (because my head doesn't stay still sometimes).

Impact tape is a good idea and tinker with the weighting, sometimes heavier isn't better.

How long is the putter? What are your misses? What do you really think is going on?

Main thing is to play with a putter that helps your game, we can also get Master Sasaya's input on this matter for you.

The putter is exactly 33.5 and my misses tend to be pulls (because my head doesn't stay still sometimes).

This was my main mis**t. I solved it by rotating the right hand counter clock wise. This has really helped pulling the ball left.

Yeah, I did the same thing. As long as I keep my head still, the putts stay online.

My main issue is still that the sweet spot of the putter is not in the center of the clubhead but rather more towards the heel. My Tour Cameron had the sweet spot slightly towards the toe. This is why I'm having trouble adjusting to the putter.

This was my main mis**t. I solved it by rotating the right hand counter clock wise. This has really helped pulling the ball left.

did you ever resolve this Droopy?

i'm surprised the sweet spot is not centered on such a premium putter

i keep hearing you guys talk about heavy GF heads, isn't it 340g stock for the privates?

the stock shaft that comes with the GF private stock is pretty good, it has a good balance with the 340g head at 34 inches.

i bought it just to see what the hype was all about. it's a good putter, not any better than oem stuff, imho.

I own the following and placed them in the order that suits me:

1- david whitlam etbw devon

1- GF private stock2

2- tour issued/used Gauge Design mallet

2- premium zone 2

the mallet feels the best, very smooth, but my preference is blades

the GF isn't any better than my etbw, they are about the same with the GF being a little softer and the etbw clickier. big price difference though.

the premium zone has the softest feel, too soft for my liking, i like a clicky feel to my putters.

they are all good, just personal preference i guess.

i won't put a review till i log in some rounds with the GF, it might just grow on me, i truly hope it does.

IMHO....

One needs to remember that what sets the Golds apart from the rest is the ability to have a Putter custom made to/for you.

We all like something different. Length, loft, lie, looks, weight, FEEL, performance differences.... the list goes on and on.

Being able to pick and choose what works best for you is priceless. If you don't know what works best for you then the endless experimentation can become frustrating.

Golds has made me a Putter that is magic in my hands. No, it's not a stock Putter and it may not be what would work best for you. But for me.... If I could consistently strike the ball the way I Putt, I'd be on Tour.

So I say again... Putting is a HUGE part of the game. Spend the time and money and get fitted.

It will be the best spent time and money you will spend on your game.

thanks

i just have the stock version

i don't really know what i want or need so i guess that's why oem stuff works

they cater to the masses

too bad i don't know anyone in socal that has a nice upgraded putter so i can send it back to get redone.

• 2 weeks later...

For the past 2 rounds I've gamed my friend's GF (#2) with the heavy nippon shaft. The combo has really good balance and puts a nice roll on the ball. Also it made me realize how handsy I was getting with my long putts. I've never tried a GF putter with a normal shaft, so I don't know if this is because of the shaft or the head, but the ball feels a little harsh/dead coming off the head.

I normally game a US Gauge Design GAA3 (W/aluminiser) and a UST Filtered Frequency shaft. Which has a nice feel to it for me. I might try a Nippon shaft in this club next.

I only played once recently and still had the same problems...

did you ever resolve this Droopy?

i'm surprised the sweet spot is not centered on such a premium putter

i keep hearing you guys talk about heavy GF heads, isn't it 340g stock for the privates?

Is the Nippon Heavy line available in "DOUBLE BEND type???