Yamaha Irons

Thepro1

First time poster and fairly new member here @ TSG. I look forward to being a regular and have enjoyed reading the many posts thus far......alot of knowledgeable members here. Now for my actual post... I have been a big Yamaha fan for years (dating back to the Yamaha Secret Carbon Irons of the early 90's) however once Yamaha stopped distribution in the US it certainly became harder to obtain such equipment. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the Yamaha GRX irons. Can't find any info on them but I'm really liking the look. As a golf professional here in the US the access to golf equipment is endless, however access to Japanese golf equipment is not. Thanks to TSG I will now be able to keep up on (and purchase: a new concept for me) what is considered to be some of the best engineered equipment on the planet! Oh...and I just made my first purchase here...the Yamaha caddie bag (can't wait for it to arrive!) I look forward to all your input:)

Welcome to the forum!

There are definitely quite a few fans of Yamaha irons and clubs here as they make some wonderful equipment. In their current lineup, the Inpres X Drivers, i.F.F. Fairway Woods and Inpres X Irons are the big standouts. The GRX lineup is there premium lineup, kind of the way Lexus is for Toyota. The irons are a 3 piece iron, a Forged Beta Titanium face, with a full titanium body and 90g tungsten weight in the cavity. Very high tech stuff. (^_^)

One iron that you may be interested in is the wonderfully forged Inpres X V Forged, regular and Tour version. You can check out member bogeydog's recent review here: http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/t26964.html

• 12 years later...

Save up some more cash and get a set from '09 to '13.

It just so happens that I have the 2013 Yamaha Tourmodel with Diamana Thump shafts in them. They are slightly more than $100 though.

The original Yamaha Secret irons essentially copied the shape of Ping Eye2 irons and added decorative carbon fiber plate on the back cavity. 

I would not pay $100 for something like that.    If that is the type of shape you like and you want JDM,  a 2012 Tourstage X Blade GR Forged has a similar shape but is fully forged with mild Carbon Steel  (likely Endo forged)   You can find a set with NS950GH shafts for $200-$300 easily. 

Edited by nobmontana