5 wood or 3 rescue ??

I'm just reading the December issue of Golf Digest, where Ryuji Imada clubs are in the "what's in the bag" section.

He uses a 3 and a 5 and a 4 rescue.

Question is what do you guys use 2 fairway woods or two rescues??.....and what are the benefits of your combination.

Realistically, I've only got two fairway shots up above my five iron. Estimating 180 for the five iron, that would be 195 for a hybrid or lofted fairway wood, and maybe 210-215 for the stronger fairway wood.

If I go 4 and 7 woods, then my hybrid slot would be primarily used for a dedicated driving iron. I've got a 19° Epon for that circumstance.

My beautiful Miura cavity backs have the wrong lofts, but if I were to get numbered irons from a custon grinder, I would go 4-wood, 20-23-26° hybrid set, all leading to a 30-35-40-45° #s 6-9 set. That would reduce my yardage increments to barely ten yards between the hybrids, giving me 4 shots after the 6-iron (as opposed to only two after the five-iron).

How many clubs are that--driver, fairway wood, three hybrids, and four numbered irons for nine, right?

That leaves room for 50, 55, and 60° turf wedges, a dedicated sand iron, and a putter. Perfect.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

For me... the hybrid is more forgiving than the 5 wood. But I can work a 5 wood low, high, left and right...

on the 5 wood:

I currently use tourstage viq 07 5 wood which is very forgiving, mated w/a smooth ngs fairway shaft. This set up is perfect for me.... its a driver, fairway wood, rescue and even chipper. Still really workable even w/its forgiveness.

Currently I'm trying out the MP62s... they defiantly feel more solid and blade like than the mushy, larger feel mp60s give me. Super workable... loving the long irons. I believe its a 21* 3 iron which I can work to about 210 and max out at about 230... then on its my 5 wood.... from about 235+ish...

my 5 wood is currently 19* and then there is a 5.5* gap between the 5 and the 3 wood. I use a 13.5 degree epon 3 wood only for primary driver... then a 9.5 degree driver for the long holes...

Marus 53 and 57 are perfect for me, but I end up playing titleist wedges standard lofts... and I always carry a 60.

Current daily bag does not have a hybrid... but I do mess around w/them... especially the driving irons... loving the TS xdrive driving iron and the prgr zoom... I got one shafted w/S300 and the zoom is shafted w/a GD AD 85 graphite shaft... I swear that GD shaft is ohhh sooo smooth!!!!!!!!!