Need help picking a Japanese Driver

Soul survivor

Okay guys I have a budget of $550 to spend on a new Japanese Driver and I've been looking at some of the Japanese drivers on Ebay and on the forums. I believe my Nike Sumo is getting pretty old, so I wanted to replace it with a Japanese Driver. Im deciding on either the Yonex 450D or the Tourstage 901 driver, or the older Tourstage 445 or 460cc X drives. Any opinion or suggestions, which driver is the longest and has the best feel? Feel free to suggest any type of drivers. I would consider an Epon driver, but they are just too darn expensive!

Thanks,

phil

I am sure you could find a used Epon AF 101. It is one long driver.

Doc

Anymore... I think the Shaft should be the starting point...

Anymore... I think the Shaft should be the starting point...

Couldn't agree more. Any head will work since as Chris says the technology is about maxed out now. Find a head you like but definitely make sure you find a shaft that works for you and works well. Would be a shame to have a nice JDM head with a shaft that doesn't work and then you end blaming the club for poor performance.

That being said, my favorite still remains the Epon. While the majority of the bag is TourStage, I still very much like the Epon for driver.

As far as overall performance when it comes to drivers Tourstage Bridgestone IMO are the best drivers ever.

JDM market, so far the longest I've hit is the new 701G w/the EV6 shaft. Ball speed and launch conditions are just amazing w/the new xdrives.

Second longest, which I regret selling is the Epon Af101. But I still have my technity 460, never selling it.

LOVE the new Tourstage drivers. The 701 and 901 are LONG with the GD EV-6 shaft. Look great. Tried the Epon AF101 with a bunch of shafts, love the feel, just like the Tourstage look better along with the consistency. Get the right one (701 flies a tad higher than the 901) with the right shaft (again, LOVE the GD EV-6) and I think you'd be very pleased.

Tried the TS's, Af-101, Yamaha, Taylormade TB TP, Titleist and nothing compared to the 09 TS drivers for me.

Thanks for all the input guys:

I've narrowed down my selection of drivers to the Epon AF-101, TS 901, and the Yonex 450D. I have read lots of reviews on the Epon and TS 901, but I haven't been able to find any information on the Yonex 450D besides that Ryo plays it and that its very long. Does anyone know about it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys!

phil

You need to take into account the epon af101 is fairly neutral, but can be custom ordered with different face angles. The tourstage 901 has an open clubface and is fade biased. The Yonex 450D is close faced and draw weighted. I think any of these clubs would work well with the right shaft depending on the type of shot you like to play, and how you like the clubface at address.

All these drivers are great recommendations but the bottom line is which driver will be the longest for you?

What kind of a player are you? Different drivers target different players and the longest driver for player A will not be the longest driver for player B.

As many noted the shaft makes a humongous difference as well.

I always tell everyone there is no such thing as THE longest driver. If there was I am sure every golfer would be buying it. (^_^)

Its about finding the right shaft head combo that will work for you.

Do you care about trajectory, whether it is fade or draw biased, low spin, traditional shaped etc? How important is forgiveness for you? What handicap are you and how far do you carry your Sumo? Got a bad shot?

All these drivers are great recommendations but the bottom line is which driver will be the longest for you?

What kind of a player are you? Different drivers target different players and the longest driver for player A will not be the longest driver for player B.

I always tell everyone there is no such thing as THE longest driver. If there was I am sure every golfer would be buying it. (^_^)

Do you care about trajectory, whether it is fade or draw biased, low spin, traditional shaped etc? How important is forgiveness for you? What handicap are you and how far do you carry your Sumo? Got a bad shot?

Specs on your current driver (not only model and loft, but length, shaft, and 'real' face angle and loft) would be helpful.

With that info T and the rest of the guys here can help you select a fantastic driver.

I am a big OnOFF & Callaway fan, but of the models you mentioned, I would lean towards the Tourstage club if and only if the head AND shaft suit you.

Dear Admin,

I have been searching for that right one driver. Swing speed 98mph to one a good day 102mph. Using Titleist 909D2 9.5 with UST Mamiya Proforce Tour Black 69gr Stiff. Easy tempo and trajectory is high and not much roll. I catch the drive will go 275. Most of time, 250 to 260. I had tough time swing with my driver I was using. Bridgestone J33 460 9.5 with Diamana Blueboard S73 Stiff. Could not load the shaft and I could not feel any kick. Too stiff for me, I thought and wen to my current driver. I want some forgiveness from the head but I prefer traditional look and looking for that right combo. Any suggestions?

Thanks.