There is ONLY ONE 100% Hand Made Wedge Co...

( via GolfToImpress.com )

Golds-Factory-Part-22.jpg

Gold's Factory: The last True Hand Made Wedges

When shopping around for the best made wedges money can buy you have quite a few options on the market, but the real question is are these companies giving you a sales pitch or are they really producing their own hand made wedges in house and most importantly when they say it's 100% hand made is it really?

Do you know who did the grind on your wedges and if you do, there are some things you should know about how it was made especially if your paying top dollar.

TourSpecGolf has visited most of the manufacturing plants in Japan and even a couple in China noting the process used to produce some of the most expensive golf clubs on the market. We have learned a lot over the years and wanted to bring you the real skinny on 100% hand made wedges for those who care about quality and getting your money's worth vs what you are told you are getting.

Not Always as it Seems...

Almost every manufacture that claims they produce fully hand made wedges are really not doing so, well lets just say they are 25% hand made. The process that 99% of the wedges on the market uses takes the finished ground head from an unknown factory grinder and puts it into a barrel of small stones and shakes it vigoursly for about 2 hours. You can put 100 heads in these barrels turn it to shake mode for 2 hours, then set to vibrate for another 2 hours and presto you have 100 wedge heads done. I am not saying that these are not hand made or hand grind but the part that takes the most care, time and skill is done by the barrel. So lets call them Barrel made wedges... let's be honest it isnt rocket science to grind a wedge to shape from a raw blank, just about anyone can learn to do that in a week if they put great effort into it.

True HAND MADE or HAND GRIND are made by hand from start to finish. It begins by using a #60 grit rough paper to change the shape as most companies do but it's after that where just about every manufacture skimps out at goes straight to the barrell while Master Sasaya of Gold's Factory continues to produce wedges with Pride using the True Hand Made method.

The REAL Process

After the #60 grit is used Master Sasaya then switches to a totally different grind machine to use #100, then #120, #180, and #240 making it semi smooth yet still seeing things that need to be adjusted or fixed. Following Semi Smooth #320, #400, #600 are used to make the wedge very smooth with no flaws. After that another specific machine is used that has a pencil thick sanding belt for all corners, edges, flowing transitional lines and fine areas and even after that the same process is done once again to ensure the smaller areas have the same flow. I am talking about all areas from the neck to the topline & sole etc.. Every line must lead into the proper area with consistency before using #1000 to made the wedge shine from raw metal to almost mirror finish.

This means the shape is 100% intentional, Not 80% luck or cover up like barrel made wedges are. A master of grinding can only produce 2 wedges tops each day, it literally takes 10-15 times longer to produce a wedge using this true method over barrell made wedges. In fact the only other person I know who used this method has passed away making Master Sasaya to our knowledge the only person doing this in the entire golf industry.

Better than the Tour

Even the worlds top wedge companies use this barrel method, The worlds best PGA Tour players use custom wedges that are half ground half barrell. Now the barrell wedge will work on the course but the shape is always rounded, very round with few sharp areas. So if you are serious and big on quality and process we suggest a TRUE hand made wedge. If you see your wedge as simply a tool of golf then it's not a problem but if you are being told what your getting is a true hand made wedge question them and send us an image, we can tell you right off the bat if it really is.

Plating does cover up flaw's as well, I know many like myself enjoy a satin finished wedge but keep in mind even the finishes that Gold's Factory does are done by hand 100%. Yes you can request it plated if you want but it's something to keep in mind if you are Quality oriented and want only the best hand made product. It's truley special from start to finish.

I know it sounds like im knocking barrel made wedges but the truth is that the factories need to do this for mass produced product. It's when companies that sell product that is built with mass produced methods and try to pass it off as hand made that has motivated me to share this insight with you guys.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE GRIND VIDEO and READ PART 2 of Master Sasaya's Interview!

What are the specific flaws to the barrel method? Consistency in shape/size?

I have had aftermarket grinding done to some of my OEM wedges a few times to get them right and weight loss has been minimal. I'm more concerned about spin. How are the grooves made on the handmades? Engraved? Stamped? CNC'd?

Does GF make the heads themselves now as well?

I guess the argument will go into the consistency of the master's hand vs the consistency of a machine. The machine consistency will always depend on the amount of tolerance the manufacturer is willing to accept and/or if he is willing to pay for the same amount of consistency a master's hand can produce.

Hi XXIO,

Thanks for your question.

The flaws are more based on what companies tell their customers than the performance. If I am paying 400+ for a wedge i want it to get something that the manufacture put a lot of care into making. If I paid 99-150 who am I to complain?

If we had the choice of a porsche that was hand made vs assembly made we would all take handmade yet the HP, Torque, and performance would be the same. Same with watches enthusiests will select a hand made swiss watch like AP over something mass produced like Rolex. The price is different but so is the pride in using it while the performance is about the same but I do go back to the grind being 100% intentional.

The difference as far as skill level between a person who is adjusting a made wedge aftermarket vs doing one 100% yourself is huge. I would love to see these guys do one from scratch like Sasaya does. Especially 4 wedges that are practically identical by hand. Very difficult to make two that are the same like Sasaya does. I would say the neck transition to the sole and topline is the most difficult part by far.

When you say does GF make the heads themselves, Are you talking about the billet into raw blank? if so no way that is huge factory stuff, not even the Top OEM's do that. Not Mizuno, Taylormade, Nike, etc.. If your talking about raw blank to finish then yes 100% by hand by Sasaya like no other wedge company is doing... None.

With mass produced product consistency comes in batches, they are not ordering a tolorence level at this point, there are times when the OEM can order specific tolorence but not in wedges as far as we know. I gave the example of 100 wedges in a barrell, that isnt a lot by mass produced standards and it goes much higher.

Sasaya also uses machines that others just cant use. The CNC machine in Part 1 is fully hand controlled, I dont know of any company that has someone that skilled on hand to use a hand controlled CNC. Those machines have not been available for over 15 years originally made in Gemany then improved in Japan. All the CNC you see in America, Japan, China and especially now days are computer controlled which means you cant simply setup and make a design it must be programmed. That is another thing that doesnt require the same skill level that Sasaya puts into wedges. That skill can't be taught in months, it takes years to do it without ruining or damaging products wasting money. There is no CNC engraving setup charge either, no computer involved, straight and pure skill by hand all the way.

let me know if you have any other questions, If I dont know the answer i can always ask.

Whew, good thing I can't afford $400 wedges.

I agree about the skill in grinding. I have seen the work of some shops and have some wedges done there. The best work I have seen is from a 60 year old employee of the club I go to. The work he does it marvelous. So much cleaner than the shops that offer it and even better than some of the work I see from OEMs.

I've had him do C grinds, M grinds, killed leading edges, T grinds, I even had him do a Cobra "skid sole" on a Callaway wedge and The work was magnificent and he takes off only as much material as needed, almost no need to add weight.

If we had the choice of a porsche that was hand made vs assembly made we would all take handmade yet the HP, Torque, and performance would be the same. Same with watches enthusiests will select a hand made swiss watch like AP over something mass produced like Rolex. The price is different but so is the pride in using it while the performance is about the same but I do go back to the grind being 100% intentional.

With all due respect to your golf equipment knowledge, I would have to differ on your golf club and watch analogy. The swiss watch industry is a little more complicated than that, both in manufacturing and marketing aspects. Also, you have never visited the Rolex or the AP factory, it is not fair to compare the two brands the way you did. Let me share with you some facts. Many of the AP models use movements that are inferior (engineering-wise) to Rolex movements at price 3-4 time higher (due to limited production and thus much higher cost per unit). Rolex uses the best stainless steel alloy (904L) which is superior to the material that AP or Patek Phillipe use for their SS watch cases and bracelets. Rolex just is not interested in making watches with complicated movements like AP or Patek do, but when it comes to the basic three-hand watches or even chronograph (timing) watches, Rolex quality is second to none, if not the best. You are probably right that Rolex manufactures 20 times more watches than AP per year, but Rolex never cuts corners. Rolex has reached a state of the art in watch manufacturing that no other watch company in Switzerland can match, cost and quality wise. For one of more than a hundred examples, the tolerence in dimension of each Rolex Oyster case is less than 1/10 of a hair. Mass production watch companies or even the best "hand made" companies can not afford that and still be profitable. Rolex is the only exception. A "mass" production Rolex is not in any way inferior to the "hand made" AP in quality, durability, functionality, engineering, design, specifications, tolerences, and manufacturing process. Still many processes are still "hand made" at Rolex. In facts, Rolex invests in many extremely expensive equipment and manufacturing facilities for watch production that neither Patek Phillipe or AP could afford. You would have to visit the Rolex factory in Geneva to understand that.

Anyway, people buy a specific brand of watches for different reasons. For me, I would buy them if they are really better (precision, craftmanship, logical design, and funtionality), but not because they are just limited or hand made. Same logic applies to the golf equipment.

Edited by 88 ROUNDS PER YEAR

With all due respect to your golf equipment knowledge, I would have to differ on your golf club and watch analogy. The swiss watch industry is a little more complicated than that, both in manufacturing and marketing aspects. Also, you have never visited the Rolex or the AP factory, it is not fair to compare the two brands the way you did. Let me share with you some facts. Many of the AP models use movements that are inferior (engineering-wise) to Rolex movements at price 3-4 time higher (due to limited production and thus much higher cost per unit). Rolex uses the best stainless steel alloy (904L) which is superior to the material that AP or Patek Phillipe use for their SS watch cases and bracelets. Rolex just is not interested in making watches with complicated movements like AP or Patek do, but when it comes to the basic three-hand watches or even chronograph (timing) watches, Rolex quality is second to none, if not the best. You are probably right that Rolex manufactures 20 times more watches than AP per year, but Rolex never cuts corners. Rolex has reached a state of the art in watch manufacturing that no other watch company in Switzerland can match, cost and quality wise. For one of more than a hundred examples, the tolerence in dimension of each Rolex Oyster case is less than 1/10 of a hair. Mass production watch companies or even the best "hand made" companies can not afford that and still be profitable. Rolex is the only exception. A "mass" production Rolex is not in any way inferior to the "hand made" AP in quality, durability, functionality, engineering, design, specifications, tolerences, and manufacturing process. Still many processes are still "hand made" at Rolex. In facts, Rolex invests in many extremely expensive equipment and manufacturing facilities for watch production that neither Patek Phillipe or AP could afford. You would have to visit the Rolex factory in Geneva to understand that.

Anyway, people buy a specific brand of watches for different reasons. For me, I would buy them if they are really better (precision, craftmanship, logical design, and funtionality), but not because they are just limited or hand made. Same logic applies to the golf equipment.

I do have an 08' daytona stainless white face in my collection that I am proud of. I do desire an AP even more than any Rolex and it's not for the quality because hey it tells time and thats about it but it is more so because Rolex is played out in my circle of friends no matter how great people think it is. I agree with you they make great watches.

My point goes to being handmade. Can you educate me about Rolex's being hand made please, have you been to the AP factory?.

I dont recall me saying anything unfair. This is what I said about that:

Same with watches enthusiests will select a hand made swiss watch like AP over something mass produced like Rolex.

So I still stand by it because honestly everyone i know personally would take an AP over a Rolex any day. If you are one of the few that would take a Rolex over an AP then thats your deal but I didnt say anything negative about the brand and like i said I have a beautiful Rolex that isnt easy to source. Anyday an AP over a Rollie for me.

BTW if anyone is interested in a used but mint Wolf 3 watch winder let me know.

M Sasaya's wedges are beautiful. That skull wedge was sold out before I even saw it go on sale. lol Owning a set of his wedges IMO says something about your style and overall golf interest. Not to mention his putters....

Awesome, If I had the money... yes I would!!!!

Watches and golf clubs.

Some people buy for technology.

Some people buy becuase of precision manufacturing.

Some people buy because of the brand and the tradition/legacy.

Some people buy to impress.

Nothing wrong with that.

I used to be into watches but just Omegas and Rolexes. I discovered Pateks, Panareis, etc then realized I had to stop because I was going higher and higher on the food chain and could no longer afford them.

I'm looking for a Grand Seiko myself. I hear the precision in those JDM Seiko's are outstanding.

My point goes to being handmade. Can you educate me about Rolex's being hand made please, have you been to the AP factory?.

I dont recall me saying anything unfair. This is what I said about that:

So I still stand by it because honestly everyone i know personally would take an AP over a Rolex any day. If you are one of the few that would take a Rolex over an AP then thats your deal but I didnt say anything negative about the brand and like i said I have a beautiful Rolex that isnt easy to source. Anyday an AP over a Rollie for me.

About being handmade: Rolex cases and bracelets are still being hand finished at its final stage and hand assembled, just like those from AP . Also, for mechanical movements, they are all needed to be hand assembled regardless of brands, Rolex or AP are no exception. I would have to admit that for certain AP models, a few more internal parts are "hand" polished, engraved, or textured, but mostly for cosmetic and tradition purpose. What people overlook is the extremely tight tolerence (some less than 1/200 of a hair) of each small spare parts that form a complete movement. Rolex really excels in that area, and thus eliminates many of the expensive custom polishing processes. For Rolex, automatic machines are used only when they provide superiour results, but not to save costs (though it comes as a side benefit when Rolex achieves the economy of scale). Rolex throughout its history has always been constantly investing in so many highly technological advanced equipment for watch making, and many of them are proprietary, patented, or highly classified as trade secret. Some of those machines are like the hand operate CNC machine that you mentioned. Rolex rarely invites anyone except its business partners to visit its production facilities. To answer your question, no, I have not the opportuinity to visit AP factory, but I have been to some other leading watch factories including Rolex. However, my business associates have visited both AP and Rolex production facilities, and the impressions are not different from what I expressed above.

About being unfair: If I offended you in any way with that statement, I apologize. However, comparing Rolex as a barrel wedge and AP as GF wedge is indeed unfair. Your analogy implied that Rolex watches were mass produced like barrel wedges and AP watches were hand made like GF. In fact, Rolex watches (cases and movements) are by no mean manufactured like "blank stock" that are cheaply and mass produced at all. Rolex production facility, compared to the golf industry, is more like Endo Japan, but produces only two brands (Rolex and Tudor) and does not accept any OEM. So if you want the finest Endo quality, you would only have to buy Epon, not Tourstage, not Fourteen. That would be a more correct comparison in my opinion. My point is , if Rolex were to produce only 20,000 pieces of watch per year while maintaining its current quality, the price of a Rolex would be even higher than an AP or a Patek Phillipe (not talking about complicated watches because Rolex is not making any).

I would not want to argue with you regarding which brand of watch a watch enthusiast would choose because that kind of debate could go on for years and prove nothing. The AP empire has been falling even after selling two of its sister brands to ease its financial difficulties. That is ironical considering the success of Patek Phillippe who also claims to produces some of the finest "hand made" watches in limited number per year. As I said, people buy different watches for different reasons. Many people buy AP not because of its superior quality or craftmanship to Rolex, but just because they want something that not many other people have. Some people also think they are buying pieces of art, not watches. If the AP brand makes you feel unique, that is fine, but I do not think that I am one of the few who would choose a Rolex over an AP when it comes to quality. Our past 35 years in the watch business has proved that.

Anyway, watches are not golf clubs that we use to dig into the sand and damage the fine finishing. Still, I am sure there would be some people would want to collect these very valuable GF wedges. I myself used to collect rare putters and still have in possesion a few of the limited edition handmade Hiro Matsumoto, Bettinardi, and Scotty Cameraon putters.

My intention is not to knock on the GF wedge. I am just in the watch business and do not want to see false analogy. :tsg_smiley_crazy:

About being handmade: Rolex cases and bracelets are still being hand finished at its final stage and hand assembled, just like those from AP . Also, for mechanical movements, they are all needed to be hand assembled regardless of brands, Rolex or AP are no exception. I would have to admit that for certain AP models, a few more internal parts are "hand" polished, engraved, or textured, but mostly for cosmetic and tradition purpose. What people overlook is the extremely tight tolerence (some less than 1/200 of a hair) of each small spare parts that form a complete movement. Rolex really excels in that area, and thus eliminates many of the expensive custom polishing processes. For Rolex, automatic machines are used only when they provide superiour results, but not to save costs (though it comes as a side benefit when Rolex achieves the economy of scale). Rolex throughout its history has always been constantly investing in so many highly technological advanced equipment for watch making, and many of them are proprietary, patented, or highly classified as trade secret. Some of those machines are like the hand operate CNC machine that you mentioned. Rolex rarely invites anyone except its business partners to visit its production facilities. To answer your question, no, I have not the opportuinity to visit AP factory, but I have been to some other leading watch factories including Rolex. However, my business associates have visited both AP and Rolex production facilities, and the impressions are not different from what I expressed above.

About being unfair: If I offended you in any way with that statement, I apologize. However, comparing Rolex as a barrel wedge and AP as GF wedge is indeed unfair. Your analogy implied that Rolex watches were mass produced like barrel wedges and AP watches were hand made like GF. In fact, Rolex watches (cases and movements) are by no mean manufactured like "blank stock" that are cheaply and mass produced at all. Rolex production facility, compared to the golf industry, is more like Endo Japan, but produces only two brands (Rolex and Tudor) and does not accept any OEM. So if you want the finest Endo quality, you would only have to buy Epon, not Tourstage, not Fourteen. That would be a more correct comparison in my opinion. My point is , if Rolex were to produce only 20,000 pieces of watch per year while maintaining its current quality, the price of a Rolex would be even higher than an AP or a Patek Phillipe (not talking about complicated watches because Rolex is not making any).

I would not want to argue with you regarding which brand of watch a watch enthusiast would choose because that kind of debate could go on for years and prove nothing. The AP empire has been falling even after selling two of its sister brands to ease its financial difficulties. That is ironical considering the success of Patek Phillippe who also claims to produces some of the finest "hand made" watches in limited number per year. As I said, people buy different watches for different reasons. Many people buy AP not because of its superior quality or craftmanship to Rolex, but just because they want something that not many other people have. Some people also think they are buying pieces of art, not watches. If the AP brand makes you feel unique, that is fine, but I do not think that I am one of the few who would choose a Rolex over an AP when it comes to quality. Our past 35 years in the watch business has proved that.

Anyway, watches are not golf clubs that we use to dig into the sand and damage the fine finishing. Still, I am sure there would be some people would want to collect these very valuable GF wedges. I myself used to collect rare putters and still have in possesion a few of the limited edition handmade Hiro Matsumoto, Bettinardi, and Scotty Cameraon putters.

My intention is not to knock on the GF wedge. I am just in the watch business and do not want to see false analogy. :tsg_smiley_crazy:

That's fine with me, I guess I should have used another example besides Rolex. What would have you used in the anology?

Sorry this has become a thread jack guy's but while on this topic I gotta ask the expert here what his favorite models are in the Rolex line up. Mine of course is the newer stainless daytona and then a clean and simple meteor face but outside of that the design is getting old IMO. I am even considering aftermarkets like the newest Jaques Picard DLC DeepSea Dweller in Flat Black yet some people look down on aftermarket. Ya know something that looks very modern and good with a T-shirt and slippers.

You hit it on the button as far as why I want an AP, it is because not many people have one. The AP escapement in particular.

Tourspecgolfer,

The Porsche analogy is fine. :tsg_smilie_laugh:

A hand welded chassis is definitely better than robot welded chassis. The integrity of the chassis is better, although it is not easily perceiveable even when you are taking a severe curve. The performances of the engine, the transmission, the suspension are the same whether it is hand made or not. Another example would be a fine Italian leather bag versus a Hermes Berkin.

As for Rolex, my current favorite is the DeepSea. I also collect some vintage Rolex including the 70's Steve Mcqueen Explorer II, the 60's Daytona Paul Newman, Milgauss, the Sea-Dweller Double Red, etc.

I personally do not recommend that you buy the "flat black" watches, whether it is the DeepSea or the 116520 Daytona. Rolex Service Center would consider them as modified and will not service them unless you are willing to replace those flat black parts with the original parts at your cost. Rolex will also take away your modified parts. I agree with you that they look cool though.

One last say about Rolex versus AP: If you would look at any chronograph AP under US$ 25,000 (like the SS Royal Oak Offshore, the Polaris, etc.) and compare them to your 08 Daytona. AP uses a slightly modified generic Valjoux 7750 (ETA 7750) which is know in the watch industry as the "blank stock" of affordable economical chronograph movement. These movements are sold to any watch manufacturers who want to put them under their own brands. Rolex also purchases those movements, and modifies them for its sister brand-Tudor, and sells them at only 10% of what AP is charging!

Now, the movement in your Daytona is proprietary. It is highly regarded by watch connessiuers to be one of the best balance wheel set in the world. The balance wheel is the heart of any watch. The patented self-winding mechanism is also one of the most efficient. And even a Daytona is usually sold at premium price, it is still only 50-60% of what AP is charging for their basic chronograph watch.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to explain. Now, let's go back to golf equipment because I start to feel like I am working. Cheers!

I've learned more in 8 posts than I have in 6-7 years going to all the high end watch shops.... Amazing! I also like the Porsche analogy. If they only made the Cayenne in diesel!!!!!

Back to topic..Doesn't Yururi also hand make most of their wedges, if not all? I have yet to see 2 of the same...maybe QC? :tsg_smilie_laugh:

God Bless

Jer

I've learned more in 8 posts than I have in 6-7 years going to all the high end watch shops.... Amazing! I also like the Porsche analogy. If they only made the Cayenne in diesel!!!!!

Back to topic..Doesn't Yururi also hand make most of their wedges, if not all? I have yet to see 2 of the same...maybe QC? :tsg_smilie_laugh:

God Bless

Jer

Hey Jer,

Thanks for swinging by! Yururi is a 1 man company, the owner doesnt grind anything just uses factories like Kyoei to produce most of their product. There are major Quality Control Issues with Yururi IMO.

The reason why you dont see 2 that are the same is that in order to get that raw black look they cant use the tumbler. Those are produced even faster than barrel made wedges, they do step one, clean it up a bit then apply the black finish.

OMG! I always thought that they were hand made just by looking at the rough grinding!! How dare Yururi ask for such premium prices!! Without information like this from Tourspecgolf, we would still be fools.

Thanks.

OMG! I always thought that they were hand made just by looking at the rough grinding!! How dare Yururi ask for such premium prices!! Without information like this from Tourspecgolf, we would still be fools.

Thanks.

I'll say this. They are the best feeling wedges and Irons I have ever hit. The set that I have had to be hand ground. Also, the specs were DEAD on. I used to be a "hater", but have been converted. :tsg_smilie_love: To me, they're worth every penny.... My 2C's.

God Bless

Jer

Edited by slicktry

I'll say this. They are the best feeling wedges and Irons I have ever hit. The set that I have had to be hand ground. Also, the specs were DEAD on. I used to be a "hater", but have been converted. :tsg_smilie_laugh: To me, they're worth every penny.... My 2C's.

God Bless

Jer

They are indeed hand ground but only for step #1, that is like most forged wedges on the market. They are the same kyoei heads we used to sell as blanks so if you were to grind your own it would produce a very similar feel. Product isnt that bad, most of the customers really digg it but I just got irritated because I see so many of them that are off or get many complaints on the QC. I'm happy you got a good couple of wedges there and very happy you enjoy them.