.88 cor vs .83 how much longer

Vineman23

Hi folks,

Looking at a new driver and want to know how much longer a .88 cor driver is over a .83 cor say using a swing speed of 100mph.

Also what are the legalities of using .88 as an amature in club comps???

Thanks

Vineman

Non conforming drivers are not legal for professional or club comps or handicap purposes worldwide now.

I think the difference is minimal. At about 110 mph it creates about 5 yards more carry. at 100 mph I thought it was around 2.

Your spin rates are also supposed to increase as well.

When all controversy first came out on .83 vs .86 COR (USGA vs R&A) several club designers were interviewed in Golf Tips magazine about it.

Tom Wishon did a test on why the .86 COR drivers produced "hotter" distances. It was all traced back to lower spin rates while maintaining launch angle. He then set out to produce drivers that lowered spin and increased/maintained launch angle. There were a few methods to do it mostly by weight manipulation....thus started the trend in most modern drivers.

In short if you can find a driver and shaft combo that can lower your spin and maintain/increase launch angle you would be just as good as playing a high COR/CT driver.

• 2 years later...

Non conforming drivers are not legal for professional or club comps or handicap purposes worldwide now.

I had never considered a non-conforming driver until the USGA came out with that groove nonsense.

Once I knew that I'd be using non-conforming grooves--I went to Spin Doctors just for spite-- that opened the door for non-conforming drivers as well.

I found a Titleist 983K HCr at a senior-friendly 11.5° with the stock Soft R 4550 shaft.

Once I learned to time the shaft, I started flying the ball 240 for the first time since I was in my forties, so there has to be something to it.

I had the older Callaway ERC Non Conforming Driver and at best, I had a distance gain of about 5 yard. That was only if I hit it pure. Was not worth it.

I had the older Callaway ERC Non Conforming Driver and at best, I had a distance gain of about 5 yard. That was only if I hit it pure. Was not worth it.

I also owned the ERC many years ago...I was using it when I played in Europe and if I recall correctly, it was banned by the USGA but not the R&A. That thing made some crazy load noise when you hit it and half the fun was knowing it was not legal in some parts of the world. Never had so many people come up to me to ask if they could hit it

It could be the 983K with the 4550 shaft; maybe the HCr part doesn't have that much to do with it. But it's a smaller head driver and I still hit it longer, albeit not straighter, than I hit my new Ping.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

Never tried non-conforming driver yet because I heard that it doesnt really help for people with slow SS. But after I found this test, I coudnt resist ordering one.

http://www.ryomagolf...ogy/page07.html

The test proves exactly what XXiO posted about spin rate and launch angle.

Non-conforming Ryoma has higher launch angle but lower spin rate. Results 10 yards longer.

10 yards longer with every tee shot? hm....still hard to believe.

Edited by suheric

My regular foursome would pull out their respective smartphones while on the first tee to see if the new addition is conforming or otherwise. Then would wait until the round was over to tell me I'm DQd, they win all bets!

We all smart enough not to bring non-conforming driver to play with "regular foursome" and for the game with them, we already have several drivers, dont we?

If's just for fun. Dont be so serious!!

My regular foursome would pull out their respective smartphones while on the first tee to see if the new addition is conforming or otherwise. Then would wait until the round was over to tell me I'm DQd, they win all bets!

Edited by suheric